• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

"…God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them…"

2 Corinthians 5:19

On which two ancient cities did God rain brimstone and fire? If your answer is Sodom and Gomorrah, you are right. But if you think that God was all eager to destroy the two cities, you are wrong!

God wasn’t willing at all. He was not on a sin hunt. He was on a righteousness hunt so that He could spare the cities. (Genesis 18:23–32) And I believe that if Abraham had asked God, “What if You can find just one righteous man?” God’s answer would have been the same: “I will not destroy the place for the sake of one righteous man.”

Today, the righteousness of one Man — Jesus — has come. Jesus died for our sins and rose again for our justification. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, not counting our sins against us!

Therefore, no judgment will fall on you today because it fell on Jesus 2,000 years ago at Calvary. And if God was gracious enough to remove Lot and his family before the judgment fell (Genesis 19:12–22), how much more will He do for you who are no longer under judgment!

And because God does not judge you, don’t be like Lot’s wife, who became a pillar of salt when she turned around to look at the brimstone and fire. (Genesis 19:24–26) She wanted to see God’s judgment, even though the angels had warned, “Don’t look back, lest you be destroyed.” (Genesis 19:17)

So don’t be judgment-focused and look back at the sins you have committed. God is not against you. He is for you and on your side. He remembers that He has already judged and punished your sins in the body of His Son. And because He is faithful to His Son and to what His Son has done, He will never judge or punish you. Any trouble that you might have today is not from Him. But He will show you a way of escape because He is on your side. He loves you and has your best interests at heart.

Beloved, God is not out to get you. He is out to bless you. And He wants you blessed more than you can ever ask or imagine! (Ephesians 3:20)

By Joseph Prince (URL: http://www.josephpri...ent-focused-2/)

• Kevin Blankenship, Candice and chipped china like this

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

That's good stuff!!!!!! If I can get that out of my head and into my heart......better look out!!!!!!!!!  Joseph Prince glorifies Jesus Christ for the majority of the book I have finished reading called "The power of Right Believing".  I didn't see a trace of the Hagin Faith Movement stuff.  Basically, stuff just like what you quoted above. I think that as Mr. Prince matures in Christ, he will distance himself from the obvious error of the Prosperity bunch.  In fact, I think that he has done so already. I COULD be wrong.

But for a Christian who has been brought up  being taught a Performance-based Christianity...........I would strongly recommend The Power of Right Believing to that person. And I would not think for one minute that I was advancing error.

Thanks for that post Julie!!!!

• Julie Daube, Candice and chipped china like this

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

You're welcome, Kevin!

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Kevin, since you mentioned the Word of Faith movement, you may be interested to know that there are actually two such movements, and they are quite different. There is the classical Word of Faith movement, of which A. B. Simpson and his contemporaries were part, and the modern WOF movement, which is where we find some of the errors you refer to.

Prosperity teaching is not wrong -- or unbiblical -- in and of itself. In fact, the Bible has much to say about God's desire to prosper and bless his people. The problem occurs when Christians take this teaching to extremes (saying things such as "Kings kids drive Rolls Royces," etc.). 

Here are some verses that show God's heart is to prosper his children:

Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. - 3 John 1:2

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:19

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you. - Psalm 122:2

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. - 2 Cor. 9:8

He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. - Ps. 1:3

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich. - 2 Cor. 8:9

And if you faithfully obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the Lord your God. Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field. Blessed shall be the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your ground and the fruit of your cattle, the increase of your herds and the young of your flock. Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl. - Deut. 28:1-14

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack! The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. -Ps. 35:8-10

The Lord will open to you his good treasury, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hands. And you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow. - Deut. 28:12

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. - Ps. 16:6

The LORD be magnified, Who delights in the prosperity of His servant. - Ps. 35:27

I think what is sometimes overlooked by those in the contemporary WOF movement is that God doesn't prosper us simply for our own enjoyment: he prospers us so that we can be a blessing to others.

Dr. Paul King, who has a rich history in The Alliance, did his second doctorate on the WOF movement. His book, Only Believe, explains the difference between the two camps of this movement. (I had the privilege of meeting him and praying with him when he visited the National Office recently.)

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0981952607

He also wrote a book about the charismatic history of the early C&MA, called Genuine Gold.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0978535200

• Candice, chipped china and Kenny like this

#5 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

I think what is sometimes overlooked by those in the contemporary WOF movement is that God doesn't prosper us simply for our own enjoyment: he prospers us so that we can be a blessing to others.

Amen Julie

• Julie Daube likes this

#6 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

I agree with the above.  Paul also had many things to say about those who want to get rich and fall into a trap.   I haven't read anything about the CMA Word of Faith movement, so I cannot comment.  Yet, I was a disciple of the modern Hagin, Copeland, Roberts, Duplantis, Murdock, Tilton, (and many many more).  David Wilkerson had ALOT to say about that Prosperity movement. A google search will reveal it. I need to put momma to bed.

• Candice likes this