CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I feel empty as a Christian and loosing my ambition in my Christian life. I belong to a wonderful local Christian community church, but feeling more and more useless in it. I feel more and more unable to follow my Christian calling. I have become lost and disconnected. :(

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hi Christopher ,
Welcome to the prayer space. Please know that it takes a genuine heart to be transparent. I pray The Lord will give you a strong impression by His Spirit to direct you to a brother in Christ at your church to pray with. Have you been a believer for long ??

Also, I pray the word of God is in your life daily to direct you to the connections you are to have that support you in serving and connecting your life with others

God bless you. Keep on touch!!
  • Alex Daube and CHRISTOPHER310 like this

#3 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

Candice, I have been a believer for 3 years now. Baptized in 2011 and rededicated in 2012. I am an avtive volunteer in my church and attend groups and glasses and all of that. I feel like I have no place of meaning in any of it. Like If I was there, no one would notice or care. I have a calling and yet no raod map to get there. Just a bunch of dead ends.

#4 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Christopher,

Can you articulate at all what your sense of your calling is? That is important to be able to do for yourself. Sometimes, we can struggle because the earthly expression of Christ's body can be quite human, and therefore flawed. Meaning each and every one of us. Sometimes, unfortunately, your service in the church may not reflect your true calling. Well intended believers may ask a person to serve in certain areas of ministry, but it is up to the individual to discern if God truly wants them involved there. That can be difficult, especially in the early stages of one's walk. If one does not know where they fit or even learn how to respectfully decline if needed, it can begin to frustrate a believer. I remember as a fairly new believer in a small church years ago, they needed workers for many of the ministries in the church. It's very typical. So of course as a sincere believer, I was eager to serve. But the pastor and other leadership would put as much on my plate as I was willing to do. I actually began to get angry, which was a sign something was amiss. See, no one had told me it was okay to say "no," and previously, that thought would have made me feel guilty. So I learned I had to be the primary gatekeeper of my calling, not anyone else. It isn't that anyone had bad intentions or that they were trying to "use" me; it's just that they needed workers and I did not know I had the freedom to decline. I am not sure any of what I am saying here is what you are experiencing, but if it is, you have to realize your Christianity, your salvation, your place and meaning in the body of Christ has to come from Christ Himself and the Holy Spirit. I know you've heard that it's a relationship, but it isn't until we really begin to understand that and walk in the understanding that freedom and purpose comes. It is not about how much you serve in your church that gives you your identity or meaning. If that is a Christian's source (even for the pastor), it won't be long before discouragement, disappointment and even burnout can displace your joy and peace. You have to put those roots down deep in Christ alone and let the other pieces be built on that; not the other way around. Furthermore, one's true calling and place in the body of Christ can take years to be formed. God is more interested in building His character in us, than sending us on a mission without the necessary preparation of our character. There is more to it than training; in fact, training, etc. is the least important aspect of one's calling. The Bible is filled with stories of the "desert seminary" where God's people had to die to their own ambition and ways before they were ready to serve. This is not talked about that much, but it is one of God's methods. It often does not fit with the modern world's thinking, because it is not considered useful or practical. As such, it can come across as off-the-mark, contrary, etc. No one knows the Spirit except the Spirit of God, and He has to be your guide.

• Julie Daube, Ruthie Hankins, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

#5 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Candice, I have been a believer for 3 years now. Baptized in 2011 and rededicated in 2012. I am an avtive volunteer in my church and attend groups and glasses and all of that. I feel like I have no place of meaning in any of it. Like If I was there, no one would notice or care. I have a calling and yet no raod map to get there. Just a bunch of dead ends.

Christopher,

I am sorry you are feeling disconnected. I think it's possible I missed the mark with my other post. Unfortunately, I believe we are living in a very disconnected age, especially in the West. We are the wired, but disconnected society. Sadly, the church is not immune from cultural influence and in some ways, we may be just barely coping with change. Maybe we are not good at making the adjustments. I don't know.  As Christians, I do know we can be just as disconnected from each other and our neighbors as much as the non-believing public is. On occasion, I've had a more real conversation with a cashier than some individuals at church. So, me too. Anyway, not sure I have a good answer, but the simple act of gathering does not always guarantee genuine fellowship, openness or connection. Personally, I think we are living in a difficult-to-navigate period of time where the world is changing rapidly and in some respects, the church is struggling to find it's way forward. Some traditional ways of doing things may not be cutting it anymore. Which could cause the body of Christ to begin re-evaluating some things. I do know there is real fellowship out there, but you may have to look for some like-minded individuals, either in your church or elsewhere. I encourage you not to give up on God and your salvation because of this. God is aware of all that you are pondering and all the rest too. You need to trust He knows the way to your purpose and call. And what you think may be dead ends may be divine delays, detours and of course, the never sought-out desert seminary. Trust in the Lord and do not lean on your own understanding. Build yourself up in your most holy faith, because this is a faith worth fighting for; were it not, our adversary would not be trying to shipwreck us. Think on these things and that the One who called you is faithful and will complete the work He started in you and me, if we do not faint. You have a destiny in God, no matter how cloudy it may seem to you today. And remember this: your identity in Christ is not based on what you do for the kingdom; it is based on that you belong to Him. Period. You are literally a part of Him in the world. He loves you like Himself. Without you doing a thing. Visit the saints here on this site often and you will receive true encouragement.  

John

• Alex Daube and chipped china like this

#6 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

John, I appreciate your considerations in what you wrote me as well as you taking the time out just to write me. Please don’t feel that you have said anything offense. Honestly, I have yet to read your replies fully. It’s Monday. It’s one of my busy days. I will read what you ( and others ) have wrote me and certainly reply in the next day or two as time allows. This struggle of mine is a real issue I want and need to face. Sometimes that will be best done by me reaching out to others in honest and open truth and getting the same thing back. So, if there is meat in the responses, maybe that is what is needed. Refinement by fire kind of thing. I haven’t fallen from my faith yet. I have 2 separate groups I attend at church on Monday evenings so I will be there. Plus, I have been in connect with one of my small group leaders for additional support. I am going to fight and hopefully be the issue I am dealing with. Thanks again and to all the prayers and responses that people have given. ~ Christopher

• chipped china likes this

#7 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Hi John,

First, thanks for taking the time out to read and reply to my post. That actually does help. Next, I didn’t have a chance to read your first reply, but your second one I did read. If you believe you might of said anything wrong in your replies, I did not come across it so no harm done at all.

You are right. We are living in a disconnected age, but I don’t think that is anything new or restricted to a geographic region. I am a history buff of sorts and so I see this disconnection all over the world through, in many societies, and at pretty much in every age. I love my church and credit it and the people there for alot of my personal growth as a Christian. My church is a solid caring and supportive place full with many amazing people, but they are not unlimited. They are like any other area of life, they have their limits and maxume resource abilities. I can not faulter my church or it’s members for how I feel or where I am at as a Christian. That just wouldn’t be honest. However, I do believe I have been given a calling to serve beyond what my church and members can give me the opportunity for. A calling that did not happen suddenly or clearly. It has taken a lot of time and effort to understand it. Now that I believe I do understand my calling, my passion to answer it is very strong and intended. I feel the way I do because I am not able to find the opportunities to answer my calling. Every effort I make to seek opportunities go nowhere and I find myself stuck in a place my passions burn to move onward from. So, without judgments upon my church or memembers I think I have out grown my church and now seeking out another church with greater opportunities for me to serve and answer my calling. I hope this does not conclude in a dead end as well. That would be so disheartening. I trust God. God have never once put me in a bad place or gone against me. Any struggles I have are because of me and my choices or because God is just trying to better me in ways I am too immature to fully grasp. So I will continue to trust God and continue to seek my path in my calling. Until them, my feelings are ones of being lost and disconnected as a Christian. I just pray those feelings do not grow beyond what I can handle and thus, feel overwhelmed by them and make choices I should not be making. John, again, thanks for your reply and time give. God bless.

~ Christopher