• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

As long as we are recommending Christian books, here is one that I personally feel safe in recommending

The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges

B00047_main__30206.1305926738.1280.1280.

• Kevin Blankenship likes this

#22 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

This is sort of in line with what we were discussing earlier in this thread.......early in the thread.  I have my TV on TBN right now.  I just didn't change the channel.  But I just heard Jesse Duplantis (major Word of Faith preacher) say this and I quote:  "The Word says: Death and life is in the power of the tongue.   YOUR tongue!!!!  God does have the POWER to end your life.....but NOT the AUTHORITY!!! I repeat: God DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO TAKE YOUR LIFE. Only YOU do....."  (emphasis....Jesse's).   That is blatant disregard for scripture.   For instance: "Thou fool...tonite thy soul shall be required of thee..."  I am sure that the farmer who had laid up goods for many years did not EXERCISE his authority to just die.

TBN  DOES have some good preachers on it. But the heretical preachers outnumber the sound ones.  Anyone who can read their Bible....and HAS......could have seen the awful error in Jesse's teaching immediately!!!! But he was getting "shouted down" by the studio audience. "AMEN!!!! Hallelujah!!!!"   That was all I heard as he belched out that unscriptural nonsense. No matter who I hear it come out of......if it ain't Bible.....it gets clicked off.   No matter WHO it is. Prince. Joyce Meyers. Charles Stanley. Whoever.  I am not naming names, necessarily, of folks who preach error......I just named some names of preachers who have time slots in TBN.  TBN is like a bug old field of nice, ready to harvest wheat.......and about 75% of the field is Johnson grass (an undesirable WEED.....scorned by farmers). Just my opinion.   Sorry to hijack my thread but when I heard Duplantis say that.....no matter HOW funny and humorous he is....he ain't preaching from the same Book (Bible) that I have been studying! Kinda irks me. But all of that aside....thanks for the replies and the book suggestions.  I am a firm believer and books. And the Bible.  But hey......Tozer probably read more books (he also read the Plato and all the philosophers....not just 'approved Christian books'.   So did Paul. He could fire that Greek Poetry right back at those Athenians.  Nothing at all wrong with being well read. Nothing.

• elizabethcog, Charles Miles, chipped china and 1 other like this

#23 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

I don`t listen to much preaching on TV but there have been exceptions with Biily Graham, Rhinhard Bonke(sp), and a few. I have listened to Duplantis in the past and generally liked what he said, but I would not have agreed with him on authority either. There is much power in our words and we usually get what we say we will get, if we continue to profess it......to a point. Some of these TV preachers get "on a roll" and just lose control of their line of thought pertaining to some Biblical principles. For anyone as well versed in the Bible as Duplantis to not think Almighty God didn`t have authority over life and death just mystifies me. Noah would be surpised, as well as Aron`s sons. As I read the scripture, I see that we(as children of God) do have authority over many things, and truely we don`t spend enough time learning more about just what is included, but the ultimate authority and power belongs to the One, the Creator, the Eternal, Omnipotent, the God who holds the universe in His hand. There are many things that we can`t understand at this time, and don`t really need to understand. We need to work on TRUST! About 5 seconds after the rapture all this will become crystal clear. We all do need to watch what we say about ourselves, about others, and about situations in which we find ourselves. I certainly will not condem brother Duplantis for his belief, but then I don`t trust in brother Duplantis for my salvation.

In Christ,

Charlie
  • elizabethcog likes this

#24 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

One on one The Lord will use His ways to help us in our growth,not our ways or ideas.......prayers for all as we seek His guidance,I know it is an old book but I am a fairly new believer but I am reading again Pilgrims Progress and Mere Christianity=D love and prayers

• Kenny likes this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#25 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

One on one The Lord will use His ways to help us in our growth,not our ways or ideas.......prayers for all as we seek His guidance,I know it is an old book but I am a fairly new believer but I am reading again Pilgrims Progress and Mere Christianity=D love and prayers

Great Classics

#26 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Mere Christianity was a tremendous help to me.  Still is.