Photo

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Topical study of the book of Acts of the Apostles

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

It starts when Jesus informs disciples to go tarry in Jerusalem and wait for the "promise" of the Father.

We all know the account. The sound as a strong wind.  The tongues of fire.   Even John the Baptist said: I baptize with water, but one comes after me, whose sandals I am not worthy to unthong, and He will baptize with the Holy Ghost and fire.

The fire???  Is the fire that John the Baptist was referring to the same fire that is mentioned in the upper room experience.  It would certainly seem too. 

Let's go to Samaria, where Phillip.....the deacon......has gone soon after the dispersion of Christians that occurred after Stephen the deacon was stoned to death.  Phillip is in Samaria, preach and teaching the Gospel. People hear. People believe, and subsequently are baptized in water.  Peter and John get the news while they are in Jerusalem.  They go down to Samaria and meet up with Phillip and the new converts. Scripture says that those two Apostles pray that the new Samaritan converts will be filled with the Holy Spirit.  Then, they lay hands on the new converts. They receive the "promise" of the Father....the Holy Spirit.  Let's take a quick ride (in a Hummer, since we are kinda pretending) and we drive up alongside Paul the Apostle just as he walks up to several guys.  What does he ask them?  "Are you saved?"  no he says this:

"19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all."  Acts 19:1-7

Paul seemed to place a major importance on "receiving the Holy Spirit"......plus...."since ye believed".  THEN......he asks them about their baptism.  They had been baptized with John the Baptist's baptism....and that wasn't enough.  They were then baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (I am a Trinitarian and this scripture doesn't cause me trouble). 

But do y'all see where I am going with this???  The first century church placed alot of importance on being filled with, or receiving, or being baptized with, ......the Holy Spirit.  Paul the Apostle didn;t seem to think that ya get it ALL at the moment ya pray the sinners prayer. Or even after your baptized.

To summarize.....after reading all of this in the book of Acts and taking it at face vale......I would venture to say that I, too, have NOT been filled with the Spirit.   But Jesus says in Luke's gospel that we can ask the Father for the Holy Spirit and feel confident that we will recieve it....or Him.  Any thoughts on this. I'll add more tomorrow. I am very sleepy right now.

• Robert Sanford, Carlos Marin-almanza, Ginger and 1 other like this

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

I struggled a bit with whether to post such a controversial topic. I mean....you have your traditional Southern Baptist, who are cessationist and who believe that when you pray the sinner's prayer with the pastor during the second stanza of Just As I AM....."that you recieve EVERYTHING God has for ya right then".  According their Statement of Faith, it is pointless to ask God for any additional "second blessing" of any additional, and deeper, move of the Spirit upon the person.

AW Tozer said that the theology that I just stated above is what is poisoning the Church and robbing her of her power.

But not to pick on the Southern Baptist churches (indeed, I was one until I pulled out) but even some charismatic churchs don't do this dynamic doctrine any good by placing an OVER emphasis on "Speaking in Tongues" as THE...PREMIER...ONLY.....initial evidence of being baptized in the Spirit.

But today, and for the next several days, I am going to be using every resource at my disposal. referencing and cross-referencing, as I walk through the Book of Acts.  Our model, laid down in print, breathed by God, an instructional book for the churches throughout the centuries. Sadly, many....if not most, (at least in my region), churches have ultimately deviated from the Church as seen in the book of Acts. 

I thought about doing a TOPICAL study on Baptism in the Holy Spirit using the Book of Acts as my guide. But then, I fear that it create a bias in me to see scripture as I WANT to see scripture. So, sometimes, I believe it helps greatly if we have NOT been influenced in our thinking.....our personal creed......by a preacher or teacher who we lovingly respect and admire. Yes, for me, for many/most of us......that would be great persons of the Faith like Tozer, Simpson, Torrey, Spurgeon, Finny, Edwards.....etc etc

But I will ALWAYS read their books as I always am Spiritually uplifted and edified by their words.  But even Tozer himself said, and I paraphrase:  "The BEST way to study Scripture is upon one's knees with one's Bible spread out before him, and in a prayerful mode. If a person runs across a troubling text, pray about it BEFORE rushing to get a Commentary. so that God will have first chance at disclosing the secret to the earnest seeker."

But I will stick to the title of this thread because of it's paramount importance in the Book of Acts. Just think: "The Promise of the Father".  It would seem that a whole lot more emphasis was placed on being filled with the Holy Spirit after conversion and then baptism.  It seems (and I could be wrong) that alot of what is preached and taught these days does not include this subject that was very much included in the preaching/teaching of Paul.   It's got to the point where, when we think of the Church.....and in the same thought, think of being filled with the Spirit, we instantly have visions of Grandma's church were there was always a loud and raucous "alter service" replete with everyone (who'had it') talking, often shouting, in an unknown tongue.....coupled with people being prayed for and falling backwards and being caught by an usher and allowed to slide to the floor. Far be it from me to try to stifle a work of God. I don't want to be guilty of fighting against God or His Church as I will always be on the losing side of that fight. But then, I also realize the human tendency (I am human, too) to gravitate away from the Godly instruction and into a way of doing things that emanates from the brain of well intentioned people. I have mentioned the two extremes. As I study the Book of Acts, I will make a monumental effort to unlearn (if that's even possible......but with God, all thing's are possible) all I have 'picked up' over my years in various denominations along with their Tenets and Distinctives. Please pray for me as I seek God's Will for my life.

• Lori Smith, Candice, Speilb and 5 others like this

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Kevin, I love your intensity and fervor.  I`m sure God will bless you in your quest.  IMHO Tozer has it right about bible study and seeking knowledge of the Father.  Earnest, prayerful seeking God`s help and the presence of the comforter before any study starts is the way I start any bible study or preparation for a Sunday School lesson, because without it I get caught up in the academic and historical aspects that often are not what I am after. This is certainly not a note to instruct you in bible study because you are very adept at that and already know the content, but simply a note to say how I do it.  I`ll bet we both study in a somewhat similar manner.  After prayer, I read the whole book(in one sitting if possible), then again ask the Lord to show me what He needs to teach me.  The next day I will start a slower read with frequent stops for meditaion and to listen. BTW this slower read is done out loud so I can hear God`s word from the voice I hear the most....mine. Any portion I don`t think I understand(and there are many) I will stop, re-read, and if needed use a commentary or two, or three. The book of Acts took maybe 2-3 weeks to study, but it was and is worth the time.

Again, may God bless your seeking.....He will because He always has.

Yours in Christ,

Charlie

• Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and Candice like this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi Kevin,

I'm right there hoping and praying you through the Acts of the Apostles.  And, as Charles shares how he has an approach to study and meditation, I think it's awesome to see real-life, real-time discipleship on this forum which is such a special blessing.  It makes me cry tears of joy for you. 

You will be blessed in your journey with the LORD.  He has given you all you need.  Believe it. 

We are so blessed to have you here and all those who lift one another up in Christ daily.

Maybe adding to Charlie's methods and insights, journaling what God's Spirit shares with you verse-by-verse can be a great way to go back another time and be encouraged.  This has blessed me - don't want to be some major influence as the Lord works.

Love,

Candice

• Lori Smith and Kevin Blankenship like this

#5 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thank you sisters and brothers in Jesus....for your kind replies. I tell ya.....I am a practical minded guy....not too prone to getting "out there".....but there is definitely something that has been lost through the years. The "Promise of the Father" (the Holy Spirit given to each believer)  was preached much in the book of Acts and in other books of the New Testament and prophesied in the Old.  Jesus promised the coming of the Holy Spirit as well.  I WILL say that in each case that the person(s) recieve the Holy Spirit.....SOMETHING happens to them.  No, no, no,.....I don't buy into half of the stuff I have seen in the Charismatic/ Pentecostal churches that I have attended and been a member (in good standing) in.....the jerking, the twitching, little things that can be done by the person.  I am NOT!!!!////writing ALL of those events off as I believe that when the Mighty Holy Spirit enters a persons spirit...there is liable to be outward manifestations.  But I am VERY wary. Why? Because I am a professional......a professional 'human being'. I have been being a human being for 50 years. I know what we are capable of.  When we try to pitch our help in with God....we inevitably mess it up and make it weird. I have heard little ladies in those aforementioned churches start going: "Wooooooooooooooooo! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Woooooooooooo!" while adding a quiver to the voice,......just as soon as the pastor says: "Oh!!!....I feel the Spirit in this place!"   That's all it takes.  A statement like that will bring them out of the woodwork. I've seen some persons come out of their "Woooooooooo!"-state just long enough to look over at Sister Bertha to see if she is doing it better than her.  But I understand. We are just human. I DO understand that.  But the days are gonna start getting to where we are going to HAVE to vave a REAL experience with God if we are to do His bidding during a time when persecution will be a very real spectre to contend with.  Fpr all of my life, we have enjoyed, for the most part, and on USA soil, at least in my little Tennessee town.....a time of peace. No persecution, no tribulation,....nothing to truly try the hearts of men (people) and see how deep and how true their commitment runs.  It takes adversity.....exclusivley.....to try our faith.  I want all the help I can get. I am pleading with God for an infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit that cannot be explained away as "oh...it was my cold medicine giving me head rushes' or something or nother.  It's going to take the REAL THING to endure these next few decades. If God is going to withhold from me the very One who brings power with Him (the Holy Spirit), then I wish to die (after my job with tending to my mother has completed).  In other words.....IF God doesn't intervene in my life......and do something.....whatever He does, or did, to Peter to make him cowardly one early morning (when the rooster crowed thrice) and then make him bold enough to rejoice for getting flogged and being counted worthy to suffer for Jesus,.......then I see no other way around it. I will simply pray that God takes me.  No....I don't have death wish. I am like anyone else....with a deeply rooted, built in survival instinct.  But life for me is only worth living if I KNOW......that I am on God's "APPROVED" list.  (I could have said all of this better....but I ain't changing it....lol)

• Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Kevin,

I went to the park today, letting my Labrador go for a swim in the creek, waiting to go pickup my son from school.

I was just sitting there, so got on my smart phone to check email, etc. and went to the Forum.  When I read your last post, I was laughing so loud.  A couple nearby were looking at me, and I could barely contain myself.  So, maybe you didn't intend for that last post to be humorous, but I thought I'd die laughing at the "wooooooo weeeeeeee woooooooo!" thing.  Do people actually do this??  I have never heard of such a thing!  We may be "just human", but that sounds like something else entirely.  They would have to kick me out of there for laughing and then crying because, when you come down to it, I can't see Jesus or Paul or Peter tolerating this for one second.  Maybe I'm just not "spiritual".  Maybe I just don't "know".  Maybe I'm not understanding what they're doing. 

Inded, it will take the REAL thing to endure persecution to come.  I am right there with you brother.....we need persecution to kind of separate the wheat from the tares as there will definitely be a change in the church of America.  Not that there aren't good churches.  Not my experience as of the past 10 years.  In Asia, even the Middle East, the church is thriving. But, it is very persecuted.  Maybe some time maybe read DREAMS AND VISIONS: Is Jesus Awakening the Muslim World?  or Captive in Iran and many others that speak to those who are miraculously being saved and experiencing absolute horrific persecution, up to and including murder.  There you go.  It is almost like I would like to move there just to be persecuted.  Events on the world scene, of course, point to a time of waiting and watching.  It's exciting.

You say, "If God is going to withhold from me the very One who brings power with Him (the Holy Spirit), then I wish to die (after my job with tending to my mother has completed).  In other words.....IF God doesn't intervene in my life......and do something.....whatever He does, or did, to Peter to make him cowardly one early morning (when the rooster crowed thrice) and then make him bold enough to rejoice for getting flogged and being counted worthy to suffer for Jesus,.......then I see no other way around it. I will simply pray that God takes me.  No....I don't have death wish. I am like anyone else....with a deeply rooted, built in survival instinct.  But life for me is only worth living if I KNOW......that I am on God's "APPROVED"

I get what you say here.  You are a child of God and you are approved.  If you mean you want to "know" and have the experience of the Holy Spirit, the Lord will provide ministry for you and he has provided that with the care of your mother.  Your doing this day in and day out is the fruit of that ministry. 

I can only compare that my son will be out of the house sooner than I can imagine since he's a sophomore in high school and wants to go to college.  I have this empty nest restlessness and want to be used by the Lord since I think I've missed out on that over years of disobedience, not getting it, not "knowing", etc.  I can relate that I want it to be Him and all for Him or forget it!  And, I want to know it, for Him to bless it.  And, for my husband to bless it too, because if he doesn't, hmmm.  Well, maybe the Lord will show me a different plan. I'm thinking nursing school - then off immediately to the foreign field to help those who really are severely sick and starving.

Not to hijack your post, but I understand the needing to know and be approved!  I do think you already are approved.

Blessings,

Candice

• Jane Wells, Lori Smith and Kevin Blankenship like this

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I would just like to say that I can speak in tongues, but I rarely speak in tongues. However, what I do do everyday, that I couldn't do prior to receiving the "second blessing" is feel the tangible presence of God. I feel His nearness, and I sense His guidance. I don't know what I would do if it was taken from me. 

I received the blessing by doing exactly what you are doing. I researched and read the Bible till I was sure it was suggested. Then I asked God to fill me. It took awhile, but He did.

I don't have any strange experiences, although I do love to worship with all my heart! I don't know if I say woooo :D but I do sing really loud sometimes! Keep searching Brother, I'm sure it is the Lord who is wooing (ha ha) you to do the search.

• Joan Phillips and Kevin Blankenship like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#8 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

My wife claims that I speak in tongues

#9 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I read and appreciate all y'all's replies.  Concerning the: "Woooooooooooooooo."  To make it sound authentic (like I was hearing on plenty of occasions)...one must add a quaver to it.  Here's what they sounded like: Remember when we were children and we were trying to scare out kid sisters (in my case) or kid brothers....and we tried to sound like a ghosts moaning out a wavering howl??  Like that!!! No kiddin!!! I've experienced some strange things that people were attributing to the anointing.

But let me be very clear: I am not a cessationist by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed, one would really have to stretch the Scriptures to make them read that the gifts of the Holy Spirit  ceased with the dying of the last Apostle. Just my humble but honest opinion.  I say this for one reason: I don't want any of you who have the gift of tongues to think that I am belittling you. I;m not doing that at all.  I say....if you have any gifts of the Spirit.....use them, use them, use them. They are for the edification of the Church, and for the individual. More later. Thanks again for the replies. Meanwhile....I am plowing right on through Acts.....again.

• Charles Miles likes this

#10 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Kevin,

How is the study going in Acts? As I read about "gifts of the Spirit", I originally gravitated to the "tongues of fire" over the deciples but as the reading became more meditational(don`t know what other word to use here), I began to notice others areas where these gifts show up.  Stephen`s talk to the church leaders just before he was stoned was a great unveiling of a gift of knowledge, as far as I`m concerned.  He told them things about their own history that they didn`t know or refused to consider.  A great, great perspective of Israel and its relationship with God. Was he really stoned because he was seen to know too much about who these men were and what they were?  Probably.  There are many "gifts of the Spirit" and not all are listed by Paul, but when the gift or gifts arrive on your doorstep, you will know what they are.One package that I got to open was one containing PEACE for my spirit and an assurance too wonderful to imagine.   I pray you find some just as wonderful.

InChrist,

Charlie

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#11 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Awesome Charlie. I am still treading through Acts. I am about to go consume another chapter and give me some food for thought today. Great reply Charlie!!!!!!

#12 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

As one reads the Book Of the Acts of the Apostles,  one cannot help but see the importance that the Apostles's placed on Jesus's words, and John (the Baptist's) words.  "I baptize with water, but one comes after me, Whose sandals I am unworthy to unthong, He will baptize with the Holy Spirit, and with fire.

The Christs' (the Anointed One) baptisms, where, much of the time, accompanied by physical demonstations. ie. joy, speaking in another tongue, prophecying,......  But today, it is in vogue to just accept that when we "go forward"...or, are led to accept Christ by a witnessing believer, that we recieve the Holy Spirit.  But THAT is where a division takes place. There are two schools of thought that occur at this point. One group (many denominations belong in this category), believe that your baptismj in the Spirit occurs at the moment  you accept Christ as Saviour.  The other school says: Yes, you receive a  MEASURE of the Spirit at conversion, but you are to continue seeking for the "being BAPTIZED in the Spirit."  This is also called: "A second work of grace" upon the believer. After reading scripture, and being as open as can possibly be (and still be a but biased by my pasts),  I must say that I am in the second school.

Let us look at a case study: Peter....before the infilling of the Holy Spirit...and after.  BEFORE: Peter was mouthy with promises that he couldn't keep although I believe he wanted to.  He had no boldness to his testimony and was quick to disassociate himself with Christ, even though Christ claims that God Himself had revealed unto Peter, (and the other's) that Jesus was indeed, the Son of God....the Messiah.  Peter would rebuke Jesus, and Jesus would say: "Get thee behind me Satan".

And then we have Peter ....POST Filled with the Holy Spirit.  Notably bolder. Notably more focused and wiser. Notably more devoted to the Way....even to the point of martyrdom.   So....the infilling of the Holy Spirit has brought about such a stark difference.

AW Tozer states emphatically, that the teaching that is most harmful to the Church, is the teaching that prescribes that "when you accept Christ as your Savior, you get EVERYTHING that God has to offer you at thet time of the transaction.  Well, if this is the case....then Peter was not saved until the Holy Spirit fell upon them in Jerusalem in the Upper Room. And, in light of many other text, I cannot accept this theory.

I am not scholarly enough to off any, but the most rudimentary thoughts, of where I am head with this. I am attempting to take a drive through Acts without any preconceived notions  and THAT is nigh to impossible. But still, to find out what was REALLY going on in Acts...one must make a drastic attempt to root from one's brain what he/she has been taught by visiting evenagelist, well-meaning pastors, books, etc etc.  I think that all of us (and this is but a pet theory of mine) see the Bible texts, as we all read the same portion of Bible texts, through glasses that have filters.  One group wants to see Baptismal Generation in all of the texts...and so...they DO see that. One group wants to see that, the Initial evidence for the Baptism in the Spirit is Speaking in Tongues. And so, they DO see that. Every scripture, which talks about the Baptism in the Spirit, is viewed IN LIGHT OF what this group already holds to be Biblical truth.   Then....we have a group that says: You get it ALL at the moment you are converted to Christ. And so, that filter is placed on their reading glasses and all Biblical text that deals with this POPS OUT at them. And so on.

Perhaps, the New Testament is trying to teach us to use the Old Testament as a solid basis for our faith in Christ!!!!  It certainly did for the New Testament saint's ....did it not? The Ethiopian Eunich? Isaiah?   A TRULY Spirit baptized man was used to "open up" that old Testamnt text to the Ethiopian in way that no one else, including himself, could do it.  The Spirit Baptized man/woman.....has been baptized by Christ Himself!!!! And now, that person has the same Spirit which anointed the Christ Himself.

But today...we walk into a service, where the people are ALL FOR the Spirit's work in the believer....and we see all sorts of bizarre behavior that wasn't evidenced in Acts. And when bizarre behavior DID crop up (Corinthian church) Paul, another truly Spirit baptized man, was there to bring Godly perspective back to the assemblage of professors of faith.  I am not on a crusade or am I out to bash anything that doesn't need bashing. But a TRUE return to New Testament church is need today. But it MUST have many, if not most members, who are TRULY....TRULY......Baptized by Christ.  Baptizing believer's with the Holy Spirit  IS Christ ministry!!!!! Well, that is what John the Baptist said!!!!...."HE (Jesus Christ) will baptize with firs and with the Holy Spirit."    We have taken MUCH emphasis OFF of this and placed it on "adding to the church daily such as should be saved"....and even THAT is God's work!!!!! Not ours!!!! We tell them out testimony...or SHOW them our testimony (through a pious life) and people (who have a deep seated desire to worship something) will resond to the Holy Spirit's wooing.  They'll be added to the church. But not by our ministry methods taught at the Cemetary....or Seminary. (okay, I went a bit far with that....I got crude and rude).  But a Great Awakening MAY be headed our way.  We need more knee-time. No......I....need more knee time.

(This is the post that I made that LOOKS as if I am disagreeing with Tozer's assessment that says: "It is DANGEROUS to teach a new believer that you receive everything that God has for you at conversion and that there is no need for further seeking".    I AGREE with Tozer's words.

• elizabethcog and DonnaA like this

#13 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

Kevin,

I love it!! "Perhaps the New Testament is trying to teach us to use the Old Testament as a solid basis for our faith in Christ."   Man, is that on the mark or what?  On the road to Emaus, Jesus taught the travelers all about himself from the Old Testament, and also stated elsewhere that the "volume of the book was written about me.."   The Mount of Transfiguration was a visual trip through the Old Testament.  As far as I`m concerned, the Old Testament is the firm foundation on which the New Testament is built and to understand the New much better, one must know a good deal about the Old. It is a Book about our God and what he did to solve a problem for us.....it`s a whole book!!

Kevin, my heart rejoices with you.  Keep up the good work.  May God bless you....I know he will because he said he would.

In Christ`s love,

Charlie

• Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#14 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

Great post Kevin! I agree!

Blessings,

Lori

• Kevin Blankenship likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#15 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

Kevin,

I love it!! "Perhaps the New Testament is trying to teach us to use the Old Testament as a solid basis for our faith in Christ."   Man, is that on the mark or what?  On the road to Emaus, Jesus taught the travelers all about himself from the Old Testament, and also stated elsewhere that the "volume of the book was written about me.."   The Mount of Transfiguration was a visual trip through the Old Testament.  As far as I`m concerned, the Old Testament is the firm foundation on which the New Testament is built and to understand the New much better, one must know a good deal about the Old. It is a Book about our God and what he did to solve a problem for us.....it`s a whole book!!

Kevin, my heart rejoices with you.  Keep up the good work.  May God bless you....I know he will because he said he would.

In Christ`s love,

Charlie

Charles

I agree. In fact we read the following in the New Testament

Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that through patience and through comfort of the scriptures we might have hope.

"things written aforetime" is referring to what is written in the Old Testament. Those things were written for our learning 

The following text is also another fine example of how things written in the Old Testament is written to instruct us.

1 Cor 10

For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; and all ate the same spiritual food; and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.

Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved. Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and stood up to play.” Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents. 10 Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11 Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

What we learn from the above text, is that the acts of the Israelites wandering for 40 years in the wilderness, their not believing, and instances of disobedience combined with the fact that out of all those original people which left Egypt only two of them actually entered the promise land. The two that were faithful were Joshua and Caleb. The punishment and failure of the others and the written account of their deeds was preserved and written down for an example and instruction for us to not follow in manner of their disobedience and miss out on our promised eternal destination.

Blessings

• Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#16 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sisters and Brothers....you just cannot know just how much I appreciate the awesome feedback. It is like having a living, breathing, commentary form several different perspectives...and yet one Spirit in all of us. The Body of Christ in her finest hour. When she comes rushing to aid one of Her own.  I feel Jesus in all of this. I want to be numbered with y'all....whose lamps are full....when Jesus returns to take us up where He has been constructing mansions for us. I hope that we all live on the same street!!!  Wouldn't it be cool if God the Father, or Jesus, named that street....Emmaus???? lol  I mean.....why not? Right?

• elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#17 Michael A. Clock

Michael A. Clock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Am an Ordained minsiter working on a Bachelors in Biblical Theology and an understudy in Pastoral care through Trinity College of Biblical Studies.My ministry has been one of healing both 2 and 4 legged members of God's creation as I hold a 2 yr Associates degree in Veterinary Studies.I taught Scuba on the university level at BGSU Bowling Green Ohio as well as Subed at University o Toledo years back But am retired I have also done vol work as an addcition councler in a group I helped form in the mid 2000's NOT ever being an addict or recovered addict myself I had found great rewards in helping those who are dependent in this way.
  • I am a Layperson

• BEDFORD ALLIANCE CHURCH TEMPERANCE MI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Kevin

I truely believe that the Power of the Holy Spirit always shows it's self through our actions Just as Baptism is your testimoney on that blessed day.

Your daily walk with God will show the level of your devotion to him.It simply can not be helped...

In fact, you may not see the fruits of your efforts at once. but you will build a pattern of good works each day. It is very much like a child learning to walk upright.

I believe the Holy Spirit represents "the flat line or calm" if you will in each of our lives.

I also blieve that the Holy Spirt is our best defence against evil. Not just because of the promise of the" living hope" but an actual daily guage on how our walk with the Lord is going if we pay attention to our own actions with heart felt goodness in mind.But remember we all make mistakes. All of us....As a Christian man you know how to ask for help.

Please remember as you go forward that "the calm" is the sign. ( research fruits of the spirit)

Now, if you guage the level of calm in your life against the work of the "evil one" you will see very clearly what I mean.

Riding a wave of doubt, emotional upset or anything that resembles these things, is the evil one trying to get a grip on you...Nothing more.

God has already provided you with everything you need in your heart to know the Holy Spirit when he is present.But remember we must ask for him to come in Jesus' name.

The knowledge to see this is indeed the living hope reveiled to you on His timeline. So, please be patient because God will teach you only as HE sees fit.

In my ministry I have seen different types of questioning many times including in my self when I was first saved. This is normal. It's called being human.

Trust me, you will know when HE touches you always and without fail...This will never fail but will become more obviouse as your sprituality matures over a long period of time...

You sound as though you have a real good grip on his goodness so expect more understanding as you go forward.That is what is meant by God's Love.

So Kevin, my best advise to you is to simply let the blessings flow and accept God's grace as it comes.

Remember, to always pray in a way most pleasing to the Father and use the Lord's Prayer as found in Matthew and use it as a form letter if you will, for any prayer you make to Our Father in Heaven.

By making reference to him first by making the word FATHER be the first thing that come out of you when you pray...Then praise him and go from there. 

Always ask in Jesus name when you close out your prayer  and it simply does not get much better than that in an effort to be healed from any past problems you have had in your life's journey or when you pray about future things.....Many call this a hedge of protection as well.

Always rememeber the black and spotted sheep mentioned in Genesis and you will understand why God picks who he picks for our level of understanding when it comes and only as it comes from Him...

In closing Kevin I would ask that you go to PSALMS 27 and read the entire psalm for guidance.You will feel his Love when you read the words... This I know.

Remember David wrote the words you will see on the page  and he did wrong many times in his lifetime  but still found favor with God....Amen

Rev Mike

#18 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

I just read my post above....the long one, in the middle of the thread. I was horrified to read (because I typed fast) that it appears that I was disagreeing with Tozer.  Now, Tozer is NOT  GOD ALMIGHTY!!! We can all agree on that. But the respect and admiration that I have for that man is tremendous. What I was trying to say is that I AGREE with Tozer when he states that the most dangerous doctrine (or trend) out there in churchdom is to say to the new convert: " You have recieved everything that God has for you. There is no nee for further seking of a 'second blessing".   I want to reiterate: I wholly AGREE with Tozer's words!!!!!!!!!!  And while I am careful not to idolize the man of God, I surely use his teachings in measuring other teachings by them. I have my reasons. But don't want to type that much.

#19 Jane Wells

Jane Wells

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Waverly Alliance Church

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

I too am questioning the role of the Spirit in my personal life.  There are some verses that help me stay on track in my seeking. 

Some are found in John14.  Jesus is speaking to the disciples telling them of what to expect after He is gone. He tells them that He will pray to the Father that He will give them another Comforter (Helper), referring to the Holy Spirit.  Here He mentions that "He" will abide with you forever.  The Spirit was with them then.  But as Jesus said, He was only "with" them.  Then He said that He dwells with them and "will be in you."  He comforts them further saying " I will not leave you orphans; 'I will come to you.'"  The Pentecost coming of the Holy Spirit is Jesus coming back to believers to be "in" them since He could no longer be with them physically.  When Jesus was baptized the Spirit descended upon Him and I believe he was baptized as a human being at that time and began His ministry.  Peter believed and many others believed as well.  There were seventy sent out by Jesus and they preached the gospel, cast out demons, and healed the sick.  By whose power did they do these things?  It is always God's power whenever and however.  My point is this.  Jesus told them that they would receive (please note the spelling of receive- grammar rule is " i " is before " e"  except after "c".)  power "when the Holy Spirit has come upon you."  We all know this is the fulfillment of prophecy from Joel.  John the Baptist told his disciples this in John 1:33 - "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit."  So we know it is Jesus who does the baptizing with the Spirit, and we know it is because it is Christ Himself, the Spirit of Christ returned to believers.  As you progress through Acts, it may appear that there is a pattern, but just when we get comfortable, we find in Acts 10:44.  Here is an example where the "Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.....vs. 47 they were baptized with water after receiving the Holy Spirit."  These were Gentiles.  In Acts 11 Peter in recounting what had happened states this: vs. 17 "As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning...., If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us WHEN we BELIEVED ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST,  who was I to withstand God?  Peter did nothing but preach, God responded to the hearts of the hearers and granted what He heard by sending His Spirit.  vs. 18- Peter calls this "repentance to life".  The elements of belief are of the heart.  I don't think we can put God in a box and say how He is going to work.  Only God knows the heart and Jesus is the One who comes in the Spirit. I am seeking to allow Christ to live out Galatians 2:20 in my life.  I CANNOT live Christ's life, only He can do it in and through me as I allow His Spirit to do so.  The only way I am "like Christ" is when He is living out through me.  It is not something I attain to or grasp.  If you want to learn ANYTHING, study Jesus.  I say that because He lived the human life totally dependent, 100% ,all the time, through the Spirit staying in communion with His Father, as should we.

Blessings on you as you seek after HIM!

• chipped china likes this

#20 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

In my walk I know Jesus sought me and bought me by His perfect plan,I fought this and ran from it for the longest time,Jesus used all sorts of roadblocks and blessings to help me see.I attended a church by God's design but didn't really believe(I wanted to and I prayed to)there was no single second but a lifetime unveiled to me where I finaly just believed. Maybe I received the Holy Spirit at that unveiling but God knew it was best to conceal this from me for a time....I may never be 100% "sure" of things my mind can't know yet I believe He loves me so and will provide all I need for Him to complete the work He began,love as always in Christ

Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D