• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

There is a story that one day someone was talking to a professor about one of his students. He said, "A friend of mine told me that George is one of your students." The professor shaking his head said, "He may have attended my lectures, but he is not one of my students." There is a big difference between attending classes and learning from the teacher.

Honestly, one of the greatest obstacles of the church is that there are so many distant followers of Jesus and so few real disciples. Are you a real disciple or a distant follower?

Travis,
Perhaps, yesterday's devotional by Tozer makes one pass at attempting to address the concerns you share - concerns that we ought all consider:

Whatever Happened to Repentance?

The idea that since the emergence of Christ into our world there is no longer any sin problem is completely preposterous, and not less so is the notion that the approach of the lost man to God is theological instead of moral. Yet this is what the not-the-sin-question thing has taught the religious world to believe. This idea has been expanded, extended and illustrated in how many thousand sermons over the last fifty years till it has become part of the total belief of evangelical groups all over the world. I have personally heard earnest men tell their hearers that they need never fear being sent to hell because of their sins; that the only thing that could possibly condemn them is their failure to “accept” Christ. Thus the whole terrible sin question has been reduced to a theological technicality, and sin itself, that damning and destructive enemy of God and men, has been whitewashed and rendered tolerable, contrary to the whole spirit and mood of the Scriptures and to the beliefs of Christians since the days of the apostles.

Regardless of what men may say, we are still face to face with the sin question, and no man who has neglected to deal with his sins can even remotely understand the question of the deity of Christ and the mystery of the Godhead. Until the sinner has been brought before the bar of God and convicted of personal guilt, any notions he may have about Christ are bound to be academic, nothing more, and wholly unrelated to life.

One deadly result of our failure to face up to the fact of sin is the widespread moral insensitivity which characterizes Christians these days. Because there is only a Son question and not a sin question at all, there is little or no repentance required as a preparation for saving faith. The new convert accepts Christ and adopts a certain easy code--a bit above that of the irreligious world, to be sure, but infinitely below that of the New Testament. The nerve has died in the Christian conscience and the sin that would have driven our Christian fathers to their knees in a paroxysm of repentance leaves us almost untouched. It’s lots easier to shift the whole thing over to the “Son question” and escape the pains of repentance. Lots easier, but extremely dangerous, and this latter is what we appear to have forgotten.

Great post, and one I am really needing to meditate on with the Lord.
  • Charles Miles likes this

#22 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Lori's mention of abiding reminds me of Jesus teaching us that He is the true Vine, and we are the branches. Our task is to be a branch of that Vine...to be attached to the Vine, and to nothing else, to rely on the Vine to supply all we require, and to allow that Vine to bear His fruit in us. We must only learn to abide in the Vine, totally surrendered, totally dependent upon Jesus and His finished and continuing work in us.

Of course, there's that pesky verse in there that I try and overlook...you know, the one about God being the Vine Dresser and pruning the branches? Those that are not bearing fruit are removed (perhaps not ever fully attached at all?) and even the branches that do bear fruit are "pruned" so that they will bear even more fruit. Pruning is painful to us branches, and we shy away from it. Especially when things start getting pruned that we don't want to let go of. And that can even include things that we might think are the fruit we should be bearing...maybe even ministries we are involved in. But the Vine Dresser knows best (Father Knows Best? lol) and perhaps we are called to different places where we will be more fruitful.

Random thoughts this morning, I know, but this teaching always gets me to thinking.
  • Lori Smith and Charles Miles like this

#23 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Amen to the posts above.

I believe that consecration is part of abiding in the vine. Indeed, we can't live in the world system and God's Kingdom at the same time. When we break apart from the world, and choose to surrender completely to Jesus, we live connected to Him. Then it is about continually being transformed into His image. There is constant pruning as we communicate to Him each day and He communicates to us.

I believe Christians become dried up branches for two reasons: 1) they fail to consecrate themselves; 2) they depend upon rituals or works for self-improvement.

However, when we abide in the vine, and submit continually to the Holy Spirit, He speaks to us and tells us what is right and what is wrong about our walk. We then also feel God's heart, and mind constantly. Additionally, His character influences us--not from above, but from within as we know Him intimately. He becomes our teacher, comforter, friend, Father, and Lord in reality (see John 14:22-26). This is not religious practice, but actual living and walking in God's already, not yet kingdom. It is not about doing God's will, but about God living and breathing in us and through us. We live in the knowledge of His presence.
  • Travis Richey, Candice and Charles Miles like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#24 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

I believe Christians become dried up branches for two reasons: 1) they fail to consecrate themselves; 2) they depend upon rituals or works for self-improvement.

Hi Lori

If I may ad a short comment, I would say that a branch becomes dry when it doesn't draw sap from the source which it is connected to. In the case of a believer. he begins to wither and dry up when he/she fails to draw nourishment from the source which we have become grafted into, which of course is Jesus.

We need to continue to draw spiritual nourishment from our source so we can remain green and growing

Blessings
Kenny
  • Lori Smith and Candice like this

#25 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Amen Kenny; that's the most important part!
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#26 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

How nice it is to arise early, read God`s word, and then turn on this machine and see the posts in this thread. There are several ways that we can continue to grow as a branch. There is study of God`s Word, prayer and seeking God`s will, and then there is interaction with spirit filled christians who study the Word and pray. This pruning is sometimes difficult for us to understand and may not be understood at all, but God is to be trusted in all that He does even when we don`t understand. That trust, that faith that God will do what He says He will do brings peace and comfort to branches that maybe are being pruned. Many of the people who post here often seem to be studying some of the same scripture as myself, and when I can get up and read the thoughts of others who love and honor the Father, it just starts my day off very, very well.

In Christ,

Charlie

#27 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

A tree is known by it's fruit. You don't go to a pear tree and expect an apple. We all have fruit to bear. I just thank Jesus that when I bear the rotten fruit, he prunes the vine so that good fruit can come forth. When I get frantic or worry, I can hear His still small voice say to me "ABIDE". Then I stop, catch myself on, and the peace of God floods over me. It is for me, just that simple!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#28 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Abiding...the only way to go.