Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I lost my beautiful cat Zacchaeus (Zach) on Monday. I haven’t been right since. My heart is completely broken. However, he taught me a tremendous lesson that I need to share.

Zach was very passionate and very willful. He tried to enter through every closed door, and I never got to cook a meal without him trying to be in the middle of all of my preparation. When I brought home groceries he stood in the doorway blocking my way until he could personally inspect everything. According to him, he was boss.

He was also passionately loving to the point of being overbearing. You had to be careful if you bent over near him because he would leap right on your back. I remember saying to God once, “Am I like this to you? Do I bother You with all of my constant pestering?” His answer was, “If I were to live and love like Zach, I would have no problems.

Unfortunately, I didn’t appreciate him enough. He always pestered me when I tried to type papers. I couldn’t open a window between the kitchen and the Florida room because he would jump up on the bookcase beneath the window and walk onto the kitchen counter. I was constantly saying “No Zach, no Zach.” I also complained that he had to use the corners of the litter box, so it was like trying to scoop out wet cement every morning.

However, the day he died, I realized that all of the things I thought Zach was keeping me from doing were meaningless. I wanted a clean house; I wanted to cook without a cat under my feet. But, when he was gone, I realized that HE was my life, not the cooking, and certainly not the house.

The lesson to be learned is this: distractions from people or animals IS life. All else is immaterial. Animals and people whether they be mad or sad or happy or glad are the main event. Thus, when cars impede our way in traffic, or an animal requires lots of care, we must remember that whatever thing they are keeping us from doing has no true value, but those people and animals that require attention do. I look at my husband, at every person, and every animal differently now. I see each as a treasure that I will take my time to give attention to. Thus, the rest of my life will be my memorial to Zach, and my heart will always contain a thorn of grief to keep me humble.

Thanks, if you’ve taken the time to read this long, loving testimony,
Lori
  • chipped china likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Oh Lori, my heart goes out to you with tears in my own eyes. There's something someone said to me once: "Animals (pets) are God's way of letting us physically touch Him". I will never forget that. Really, I understand. I can't think of my cats or my dog passing without tears! And, as far as Zach's own personality is concerned, your analogy to our pestering God (like the oppressed woman who goes to the judge) is great.

My sympathies are with you. Zach may well have lived for you to relate this story as an analogy of how close God wants us to be to Him.

Love,
Candice
  • Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thank you so much Candice! Your words mean a lot!
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#4 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

O Lord Jesus you know Lori better than anyone and the tears and words she thinks and feels, O Lord Jesus please hold Lori your beloved child and wrap her in Your comforting love and tender care . You know the pain of grief that she feels. Thank You Lord that You chide not. Please Lord Jesus hold your precious child and comfort her as only you can. Please Lord Jesus and thank you for your tender love that You give again and again. O thank You Lord for holding Lori, your beloved child while she hurts and can comfort as none other can. We pray for our sister and shed tears too so thank You LORD for seeing all of us through each and every moment and we do thank you. In Your name Jesus we thank you for Your comfort and abiding grace. Amen.

• Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#5 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

That's so beautiful Ginger! Thank you for blessing me so. I've been crying nonstop since Monday. I've spent day and night searching through cat pictures of Maine Coon cats (Zach was one) to see if we could find another (not to replace Zach) to fill the tremendous void in our home of Zach's presence. I just found a beautiful long-haired orange that certainly looks like a Maine Coon cat. He's hiding under the bed. I've attached a picture of him. It's interesting because his name is Romeo. I had always said that I would have named Zach Romeo if I'd known him better before I named him. I'm hoping this is a sign from God and that he will be happy in our house.Attached File  Romeo.jpg   10.5KB   1 downloads

#6 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

O Lori, I thank you for sharing about your cats. The last cat I had (Sheba) was one of those things I call a 'Godidence'. Well, Sheba had 2 litters of kittens on property and after they were old enough to be weaned I them to the vet so they would have homes found for them. Sheba was 'fixed' so she couldn't have any more kittens. All I know is hospice care for animals is not easy and after 4 animals being buried I just couldn't do that again. Considered my age and the lifespan of a cat or dog and opted to not have animals for the first time in my life. Methinks animals become part of our family as much as any human does. For some people they have pets instead of children because of one reason or another. These pets are a blessing and when it comes time to let them go it is just hard to do. Well, I did have some exceptions. As each animal became old and health issues became severe it was not easy for them, nor myself either. I do not have the temperament to be a hospice caregiver. After a few months it's just was just difficult fro me to maintain 24 hr. care. As harsh as it may sound, death can become more a friend than an enemy. Blessed memories live on and are God's gifts and gentle reminders... To God be the glory, great things He has done, is doing and forever and always is so very good .... Thank you God for giving us animals large and small... Well, while I'm at it may as well share a weird thought ... as much as ever I would like to think that the LORD has something special for us about our animals that we loved in life on earth... some of the animals that blessed me so,... well, like little child I'd like to see them again... O I know that animals aren't born again to be saved...but it surely would be nice if there was a place for animals that we've loved as much as any family member.... So much for being weird... I'm just tired and older but still like a little girl in some ways... God bless you all and thank you for it being okay be just be real with 'stuff' even if it may sound weird. So thank you Lori and anyone who's cried and cried over loosing an animal or letting one go just coz....
  • Lori Smith likes this

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Ginger,

Your thoughts are a blessing. I've done lots of Scripture reading about animals, and I won't share here now. I just can't bear opening my heart to that discussion. I can say that I've encountered many blessings and possibilities ... more than I had seen previously.

Thanks for your friendship Ginger. You have become a new blessing in my life.

Shalom,
Lori

#8 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

AHHH! So cute!! Enjoy your new companion Lori.
  • Lori Smith likes this

#9 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

Thanks Candice! We renamed him Boaz (new love, and new beginnings after the tragedy of death. I'll be so happy after Jesus returns and grief over loss becomes a thing of the past). The techs who received him at the humane society (he was a stray) had named him Romeo, so he had no attachment or reception to it. Thanks for listening, it helps me work through this horrible grief.