Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • The Bridge

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have not been in the church for worship in some time. We are not "members" but have been welcomed and treated just like "members". we were led to this particular church for a variety of reasons and still believe God wants us here and until He directs otherwise here is where we will serve Him. I have been in with the children for several weeks as the lovely lady who used to be there no longer comes due to some health reasons and some other " dificulties'. My grandaughter always comes so when she asked me to go be with her and the other kids i of course said yes.No one else will do it and my husband would like me to worship with him sometimes and i am torn,on the couple of times I chose to stay in the service,I thought someone would step forward but sadly not one did.They allowed me to be in there and they didn't even know me so I know it is not a matter of rules..... so this is where I find myself....today I took a small one on the side to change his diaper and I could hear some of Pastors sermon...I was lovin the baby and filling up on God's word a bit=D when I heard the Pastor say we do not work for Jesus but we work with Him.This has me puzzled as I know I am saved by Jesus alone,not one thing i did or will do saved or saves me.The bible tells me this and I believe it,but out of love and gratitude I find I want to do things and think and speak and pray in ways that please God,these things would be works from God who inspires and grows me still see nothing I alone can do as God doesn't "need" me.Jesus alone is necessary for salvation.and He will complete His work that he began. More of the sermon led me to think how can works not be important when God's word says faith without works is dead.Could this be part of this church's struggle in getting its members to serve? A new Pastor comes next week as the other one has been called to another church where he will be full time and his wife will have medical insurance coverage,I pray all the time and look forward to hearing any thoughts. I always seem to end up somewhere and then look around and wonder what is going on,why do we confuse things that should be simple.The Gospel is the best thing ever happened to me,how could i just dress up and sit in the Lord's house and not help? This struggle then causes me to look around and go wake up folks,do something for your fellow man,but mostly for Jesus.....because you want to....how do not want to???love in Christ
  • Lori Smith, Candice, chipped china and 2 others like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi Elizabeth,
Your post echoes with me on many levels. I suppose the matter of what the pastor said in his sermon that "we don't work for Jesus, but work with him" is difficult to discern without the whole context of what he was speaking about to the congregation, his intent, scriptures he drew from, etc. Maybe he means that we don't earn our salvation by works FOR Him, but with Him by abiding as the branch. Not sure what he means here. That verse by James about showing our faith by our works has proven difficult for many, all the way back to Martin Luther who said once that he'd like to throw old Jimmy into the stove. I believe he greatly disliked anything that hinted of salvation by works, but even he went to extremes as most of us human beings do from time to time.

With regards to your helping out with kids church or in the nursery or any other way you are led to serve in your church or elsewhere, just do as you are led by the LORD and maybe not wonder why others aren't serving adequately. This is just the sign of the times I believe. Just serve as you believe you are to serve.

Also, I truly believe that only about 20% of the church does 80% of the "work" that just plain needs to be done. Also, possibly, home churches is what the future holds for the church at-large, and most of this "work" at church won't be necessary as we huddle into small groups, kids actually present in the room, babies crying and all, sharing our money, time, talents, burdens, prayers and praises as the church really ought to. Maybe then, as we become like the underground churches in other countries will we even look like the church Christ intended. Not to hijack your post, but until then, we will see a less-than church (I believe personally).

You are surely a sweet servant to the LORD no matter where He has you - with your granddaughter alone, in an official church ministry or just in your relationship with Christ in your being.

Love, Candice
  • Lori Smith, chipped china and radar like this

#3 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

In my view if we are working FOR Jesus then we are working WITH Him. I don't personally see it as an either or situation.
  • Candice and radar like this

#4 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

Maybe the terms "working for Jesus" or working "with Jesus" are just different ways to say much the same thing. Possibly letting Jesus work "through us" is also a good way to say how these works are done. As long as we say that we are the ones doing the works, I feel that there is a danger of "self" in the equation. I know that Christ in us will get the works done, if we will surrender our lives and selves to Him completely....so then we might say that it is Christ doing the works and not actually us at all. Maybe all this doesn`t mean much and all of it is different ways to say the same thing. As long as we don`t allow "self" to take credit for things we do in Christ`s name, we will probably be where we are supposed to be.
  • Travis Richey, Lori Smith, Candice and 2 others like this

#5 childofrevival

childofrevival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sports, music and, above all, revival - God making Himself manifest.
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• I attend an Alliance church
  • PacRim Alliance

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

I believe it was A B Simpson who wrote:
I dwell with the King for His work, for the work it is His and not mine.
He plans and prepares it for me and fills me with power divine.
Now duty is turned to delight and prayer into praise as I sing;
I dwell with the King for His work and work in the strength of my King.

I strongly agree with your pastor - why should God put His anointing on my puny works when His plans and works are so much greater? We must work with Him not for Him.
  • Lori Smith, Candice, chipped china and 1 other like this

#6 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thank you all for your insight,I so appreciate each and every one and thank God for this site where we can each be real and not afraid to ask for help or help another,I really believe we also are the church as Jesus has gifted us with one another!
  • Candice and radar like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#7 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Elizabeth and Candice you all hit the nail on the head about only a few do the work. Our Fellowship is called "His Laboring Few" because the harvest is great but the laborers are few.....We recently had to close down two feeding ministries because only 2 or 3 were coming to help and they were starting to incur health problems due to the hard work of serving. It is summer and we have fans but no air conditioning, and it is hot and humid work. Preacher said we were just feeding the people but missing the important part of personally ministering the love and salvation of Jesus Christ by not having enough ministers. By the time the servers had prepared the food and cleaned up, no time was left to be spent with the people. Preacher said it is good to feed the people but if we did not minister the Word, that all we would be doing is allowing people with full bellies to go to hell. He said we would not open up until we had enough committed people serving to make sure each person coming in from the street had a personal touch. He then went on to preach on the following Sunday and Wednesday night fiery sermons of how some had been setting in the Fellowship for years and promised to help out but did not ever show up..He went thru every scripture about vows, oaths and promises and how seriously God takes them. He then asked that those who wanted to serve to write thier names on a piece of paper listing what they could do and when they could do it. The first week he had only one name. Preacher keeps right on preaching and praying for the laborers. Last Sunday at the end of a hot sermon, we had many volunteers come forward..Today we opened both ministires back up with plenty of great Brothers and Sisters cooking, cleaning, praying together and with others, preaching while the people were eating, people who would not ever come inside for a service. When I went up to give the devotional, I told them they thought they were coming in for a meal, but they were actually particpating in a church service as the Lord Himself declared that where two or more are gathered together in His Name, that He was there also....It was awesome! people accepted the good news with joy and we loved on them and they back on us! God even sent people from other churches to help out and they were spirit filled and a real joy to work with. Yes only a few help out, but with a strong non sugar coated word and plenty of faith and prayer, God moved in an awesome way and everyone left feeling really blessed and being the blessing that we all are to be. It will only be a few that really obey the word of God until the day Jesus returns to rule this world. Just wanted to share that with you all and sorry it all got long winded but I am really excited!
  • Lori Smith, Candice, elizabethcog and 1 other like this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#8 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

Awesome uplifting story Radar, it really fired me up to keep walking in the Spirit. About a month ago I took in a family that got thrown out of the house they were renting with another person. They have a 3 yr old girl, a 2 yr old boy and his wife was in the hospital delivering a baby girl by C-section when this all happened. The father has been out of work and had been helping me with my farm labor. They are believers and the Lord knew both our needs. God opened my heart when I heard they were living in their car, (can you imagine??) and we've all been blessed in many ways. The man's wife is my sister in the Lord and the children have won my heart. This is even more miraculous when you understand that I never had children and for many years just built my own castle. Jesus is making me a new person who really knows His Love and mercy.

I love hearing about the Lords work being done here and now because it's so easy to get depressed over the world. The only way to survive until the Jesus comes back is for believers to band together in our geographic locations and live for Him.
  • Lori Smith, Candice and elizabethcog like this