Craig Wilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Oakland Vietnamese Alliance Church

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Our church is struggling between those who want to buy a particular church building and those who say we're not financially ready and do not need to purchase a building. The church did vote to buy (by about 60%) and made a down payment, but we have run out of money and now must solicit funds from those outside the congregation (the purchase must be in cash, no mortgage). The pastor is leading the "let's buy" group and preaches that those who disagree with him lack faith. My stomach ties in knots each week as I listen to him preach this theme, because I haven't been able to buy into his claim that getting the church building is in fact God's will.

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm praying for you and your church. Have perseverance as this trial unfolds and remember that God's voice is not one of confusion. Peace brother, betsy
  • Craig Wilson likes this

#3 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

The pastor is leading the "let's buy" group and preaches that those who disagree with him lack faith.

Does this Pastor specifically say that those who disagree with him lack faith, or is that your personal interpretation of what he says?

#4 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Boulder Street

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

What are the alternatives? Where is the church meeting now?

#5 Charley

Charley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Have faith . . . if it is God's plan, it will all work out.

• elizabethcog likes this

#6 Kenny

Kenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, Bicycling, Christian Fellowship, I love reading A.W. Tozer and listening to Alistair Begg. Favorite book other than the Bible is Pilgrims Progress.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

Our church is struggling between those who want to buy a particular church building and those who say we're not financially ready and do not need to purchase a building. The church did vote to buy (by about 60%) and made a down payment, but we have run out of money and now must solicit funds from those outside the congregation (the purchase must be in cash, no mortgage). The pastor is leading the "let's buy" group and preaches that those who disagree with him lack faith. My stomach ties in knots each week as I listen to him preach this theme, because I haven't been able to buy into his claim that getting the church building is in fact God's will.

There is in my neck of the woods a certain Church that was rapidly growing under the leadership of their pastor so they decided to build a mega-church. The new mega-church was built and attendance continued to rapidly grow right up until the pastor left and went elsewhere. A new pastor was hired and attendance has now dropped to the point where this mega-church is struggling to stay alive and pay it's bills to keep such a large campus operating.
Just because the Church is doing well under the leadership of one pastor doesn't mean that pastor will always be there, nor does it mean that the person who fills his shoes will do nearly as well as his predecessor.