• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

He becomes very, very specific(at least in my mind) about who He is and what only He can do. I simply shudder when I hear of a "christian" saying that there are other ways to salvation and eternal life, because to me, that says to Christ,,"I understand that you gave your life for me, to redeem me from sin, and give me eternal life,....but I think I`ll trust this other system to give me salvation". What!!I know what you did for me...but no thanks???? I just don`t see how someone who professes christianity can get to that point.
God does love all mankind, but He will allow man to make a choice and reap the results of that choice.

Hi Charles,
Thank you for your reply. I had coffee with my friend today. She may be more immersed than I thought. But, then again, she had more to add which is a bit confusing. I supposed the devil is the author of confusion, so I must pray.

She told me that she is really into "contemplative meditation" I'm quoting her directly. I know nothing about this. However, she said that she is really into the mystics, i.e. Madam Jean Guyon, Brother Lawrence, Watchman Nee, et al., all of whom I've read their books. She uses them as examples of being at peace. Nothing, in my opinion, really wrong with that. (I don't think) She didn't know Tozer. She wants to be "gentle" (which she said many times during our conversation), so this is her focus in contemplative mediation, to focus on a verse from Scripture and meditate on it, saying it over and over again, breathing (which she emphasizes is important for spiritual life) and Jesus becomes real to her.

She really emphasized contemplative meditation/prayer and I don't know anything about this. To be honest, I don't think I'm going to check on this. Do you know what it is?

She said many other things which are confusing. She teaches Holy Yoga still. We didn't get into that.

She used to believe CHRIST was the ONE and ONLY. But, no more. That is what she believes for herself, but not others.

I really just listened without judging (but was discerning).

I believe all are within reach of the LORD, HE loves all, but no everyone accepts. Although, I believe all are without excuse (Romans 1) and everyone will get a chance.

Candice
  • Charles Miles and chipped china like this

#22 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Candice, I certainly think nothing is wrong with the mystics in our religion, and having read Brother Lawrence and Watchman Nee, I do not think either one of them would suggest in any fashion that Jesus is only one of many paths to salvation. Being "gentle" and "at piece" is laudible, but for a "christian" to say the she "used to believe that Jesus was the only way, but now has changed her mind", is akin to someone saying that they used to believe in the law of gravity, but now has decided that it no longer applies! I cannot judge this lady because for years I was mired in moral assent...and that is a ticket straight to hell, and thank God the ticket wasn`t punched before the Lord confronted me one night. I will pray that this lady has that sort of encounter to clear up some(IMHO) distored ideas about Jesus, who He is, and what He has done for all of us. "What we think about when we think about God is the most important thing about us", and the human mind can come up with some really wacko things that it will ascribe to the Father that simply are not His attributes at all. "The easiest thing for man to do is think, the hardest thing for us to do is think correctly, and we must think correctly when we think about God".

In Christ`s love,

Charlie
  • Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#23 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I still don't think your friend understands that Jesus is the one and only God. Satan can be beautiful and very attractive with a lot of truth attached. I will pray that Christ gives her discernment and she starts using His power instead of her own. I may have over stepped my place here, her salvation is between her and God. I'm just very interested in looking at things like this because I want to learn what are stumbling blocks to people so perhaps I might have more wisdom. I was brought up in a Congregation Church and I was in my 30's before I understood Jesus is God in fullness.
  • Lori Smith likes this

#24 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Charles & Betsy,

Other matters came to mind with regard to my friend. A couple of years ago she told me she had befriended a local muslim woman (Wow - there are very few muslims in N. Wyoming). She said, at that time, that she was spiritually connected to her. That's when she told me that "muslims - everyone is saved". When I probed, asking why she believed that, she didn't answer. I asked again. She got off on a rabbit trail or something.No answer. I told her my concerns. If she was to befriend a muslim woman, she needed to know that her witness in Christ must to be spotless. Any muslim will see hypocrisy a mile away. It is a deep spiritual battle. Muslims can be saved, but they adamently reject Christ as Savior or his deity. This rejection leaves no room for question about salvation.

I am writing an Christian novel. I've done extensive research on Islam, the Middle East and particularly Twelvers of the Shiite group, mainly of Iran. Believe me, I must get on my knees and pray each and every single time I write, research or watch a video to gain background for this book. It is beyond me sometimes to be able to keep well with my soul and I take breaks to ask God if He really is behind me on this.

What most people do not realize, and this includes my friend (I've hinted to her about this) is that Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet, and particularly with Twelvers, the last Imam (Mahdi) will return and Christ will be subject to this Imam.

More importantly, Isaac and Ishmael is the root of the conflict despite what any Christians believe or espouse. Isaac, being the child of promise, means that Christ is the First Fruit of Isaac's (through Abraham) seed. Not to say that the LORD did not create the nation he promised Hagar, but this is deeply spiritual and satan will do anything to get people to believe that there's really a chance for Islam and Christianity to unite because both believe in one "god" - monontheism seems the connection they "share". The Pope has begun using this commonality, along with the common veneration of Mary. Some churches (including friend's denomination) now make room for the idea of "Christlam" (I don't even like writing that).

And, there is so many more details to this twisted concept of unity. -So, you see, this is so huge - a spiritual battle that only the LORD Himself can win.

Pray the days are short.
Blessings,
Candice
  • Lori Smith, Charles Miles and chipped china like this

#25 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Interesting, I'll be praying that your book is blessed by the Lord. I've developed an interest in our history particularly the Jewish/Arab conflict this last couple years. Until a couple years ago I never thought too much about where I originated. Because evolution is the world standard and I was brought up in a science background home I always thought I was Scottish, and English. Then there was a big gap... caveman... apes. HA. Can you imagine what it was like when it started dawning on me that I originated from Adam and Eve? How many people in the world realize that the Bible is their history? Even though my dad does believe in Jesus I still have never come out and told him point blank I'm a creationist. He believes in evolution but God started it all.
I kind of got off topic but I believe you when you say this is all huge and only God can win.
  • Lori Smith and Charles Miles like this