• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

The idea of my friend starting a "Holy" yoga class at her church launched quite a bit of sandpaper-like friction with a couple of our closest friends. One of my girlfriends basically stopped all fellowship with her. I warned my friend of the demonic beginnings of the practice of yoga. If it was simply holding various poses, i.e. downward dog, etc. - no problem. However, it is mixed with focusing on "breathing in Jesus", etc. Some women felt in their spirit that they were flying and some sexually-related physical responses. I reminded my friend of a man I know in Nepal. He is a Christian and runs two orphanages there. He is Nepalese and his father was a Hindu priest. His family disowned him and launched violence against him for coming to Christ. He warned a group about the origins of yoga, it's HIndu-temple practices, even to the point that I asked him to stop telling me - too much information. The evil he described is too much to put on this thread. It is verifiable by others as well. Demonic.

But, I don't put my friend under the bus. I warned her. But, I see her infrequently and don't mention it. She always mentions her holy yoga class. She is very "free-spirited", believes and trusts in Christ, but also believes that muslims are saved, as are hindus buddhists, etc. That's besides the point.

I open this topic for discussion. Is it OK?? Biblical reasons yes or no.

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Wow!!!! Do you pick 'em!!! Topics that is. I am totally kidding with ya. Personally I believe that if you have a concern, you should be able to share it with your brothers and sisters in Christ here on the forums. You are a loyal friend and am concerned about her. She is fast becoming entangled in the modernization of the Church for whom Christ died. Oh, it's not just your friend or her particular church, though I would be keenly interested in knowing what denomination has let this get started. (But in a Private Message of course, and only if ya want to). But my point: Let me share. I was attending a Non-denominational Church where anything goes. It is a self admitted "Full Gospel church". I'm not against those fellowships, but alot of the shenanigans that go on are certainly, in my opinion, not scriptural. While a member at this church, another couple (members also) invited me to their house to go over some music (I play piano, keyboards, ....quite plainly I might add). Seems that the wife is a self proclaimed evangelist who"goes out on tours" and she wanted me to be her back up musician....you know....kind of keep some music going in the background especially when it's time for her to prophesy over people, and lay hands on them and they fall backwards. One of THEM deals. Anyway, what threw up a red flag for me was that while I was playing and she was singing (practicing some of the newer choruses that are popular in Charismatic circles), she claimed this and I quote: "Oh my! I feel the spirit of King David right here in the room with us!!" And she said it in a spooky voice, not unlike Miss Maria the fortune teller and spiritists. I stopped playing and asked her what she meant by that, that I figured that once a man dies (King David) that his spirit goes to be with the Lord. She chuckled and said that i would understand it by and by. I think that I stayed with that church fellowship another month before the flakiness finally caused me to implode. The churches pastor is a timid man who just doesn't want to upset things. His goal is to have all the pews filled someday and will certainly not do anything or say anything that would jeopardize that.
So there is flakiness and strangeness (all in the name of Christ) going on in many churches. Sadly, it seems to REALLY affect the so called Full Gospel churches more and that's sad, since I am a staunch believer in the gifts and working of the Holy Spirit in today's church. That somehow certain parts of the first century church's practices have been "done away with" has YET to be proven to me. And ironically, the belief that certain things ended with the last apostle, is held by a certain church denomination (they don't like to be called a denomination but I know of no other term that fits them) that believes that they come closest to representing true first century church practices.
Personally, I think that the organized church, and the many denominations, have driven away many a seeker who just can't find it in him or herself to work through "what is real and what is not".
But Holy Yoga??? Wow they are taking it to new heights. Trying to marry two distinctly separate religions and make one is a sure fulfillment of Jesus' words about Tares and Wheat growing up together. Their roots get intertangled to the point that if you pull up the tare, the wheat gets jerked up to.

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I would stay away from anything and everything that has its orgins in eastern mysticism/Hinduism. It's possible that praciticing Yoga poses simply for the purpose of enhancing flexibility is innocent and harmless. However, based on what I know of Hinduism, I would steer clear of anything related to it. I am glad you warned your friend and am very sorry that she chose not to heed your warning. It seems like she is willfully ignoring godly counsel, and that's very dangerous.
  • Lori Smith likes this

#4 TreenBean

TreenBean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

I agree with Julie. From what I recently read, each yoga position is part of a secret message that signals your readiness to be one with the "universal power" (forgot what the correct term but that's basically it). As people of God we are not to be one with anyone but Christ. It's like a physical prayer.
  • Julie Daube likes this

#5 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Abstain from ALL appearance of evil. 2 Timothy 2.
  • Candice likes this

#6 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Pastor Mike has some interesting things to say on the topic: http://ht.ly/fJnF5
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#7 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

She's in a liberal church. I won't give the denomination, but it's not a surprise to me.

You have all validated my grave concerns here. The demonic origins, in my opinion, cannot be turned into something to offer to the LORD. I do downward dog from time to time just to stretch. I don't "think, meditate or do special breathing. I could easily get rid of it altogether and probably will.

I suggested to my friend that she have pilates class, but maybe that's bad too? Don't know much, but I do attend a class a few times a month. No yoga poses. Nothing spiritual added.

PLEASE pray as I see my "friend" (who's really now just an acquaintance), Wednesday for coffee and it will surely prove to be a spiritual battle in the heavenlies. I lovingly, yet sternly warned her once and will not keep on it with her. The LORD is her judge and the Holy Spirit is the One to convict her. She's not in my church, so I can't exactly go through the usual route of confronting this and turning her back to truth in love.

To me this is very serious and nothing to joke about. My heart is broken as she once seemed to desire to follow Christ very faithfully. I don't see that anymore, but I rarely see her.

#8 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

It is certainly no joke Candice, and I appreciate the compassion you have for your friend. I will pray for her.

God bless,
Lori
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#9 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

As I have mentioned before, I am a firm believer that nothing, in and of itself, is good or evil. It all depends upon the context in which the thing is used and the value that is being placed in the thing. Just think of the game "Dungeons and Dragons". In its very inception, it was modeled, at least in part, after J.R.R. Tolkien's book "The Lord of the Rings". Tolkien relied heavily on elements from mythology, fairy tails, etc in the creation of his books. He took things that were of questionable and quite often evil origins, and redeemed them to glorify God. AD&D can likewise, depending upon the context used, glorify God.

I believe that one of the continuing purposes that God has for us, as believers, is to be part of the process where we take the things of Satan and redeem them for God's glory. Just looking through scripture, I see God doing this over and over again. One of the most prominent is how He took fallen mankind and has redeemed it for Himself. The first question that we need to ask is, can God take something like yoga, with its pagan and demonic background, and redeem it, making it something that can glorify Him?

Like has been said, yoga is all about emptying your mind, focusing on your breathing and praising and worshiping the gods. The Bible tells us how we are to renew our minds daily, letting go of the cares, the worries, the doubts and the fears, while setting our focus on God.

Here is a devotional by A.B.Simpson, where He associates the filling with the Holy Spirit with that of breathing. As we set our eyes on God, He will fill us with His Spirit. Like air, the effects of the Spirit's indwelling are short-lived and must continually be used and renewed. If we try to live off of yesterdays indwelling, the Spirit's power becomes stagnant within us and useless to us. So we need to continually breath in the Spirit and step out, walking in the Spirit's power. That is the cycle of life in the Spirit.

So is this "Holy" yoga an example of something that God is trying to redeem? I cannot say one way or the other, but I can see how it could be. Candice, if I were in your position, I would withhold judgment, wait on God while seeking His perspective on this. If you feel the Holy Spirit leading you in one direction or the other, by all means, you should act accordingly. But I wouldn't judge too rashly or hastily. Seek God's judgment on the matter.

#10 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Jay,
Not judging my friend too hastily. I waited quite a while til the dust settled from other relationships breaking before the Spirit led me to say anything to my friend. At which time, I simply warned her of the pastor in Nepal's admonition of yoga and the practices in the temple. My real concern was her belief that everyone is saved whatever path they take be it Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc. "Everyone is saved by their own religious path". We are called to set someone straight...read the last verse in James chapter 5. I'm not her judge and I'm not the Holy Spirit.

Remember, the temple to the pagans in the OT; mostly something was left each time a king came along and did not completely take down every bit of it. There was nothing good in those pagan high places. None of it was useful to the LORD. They left something and tried to make it good for God and it fell.

#11 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Another issue which would seem to be relevant is : Does this practice glorify God to an unsaved newcomer to that particular church, which is the Body of Christ. "All things are permissable, but not all things are beneficial" says Paul. Will the practicing of a Far Eastern or Middle Eastern religous practice, even if the "gods" are replaced with "Jesus" or "God" be a stumbling block to a brand new believer who might think that it is totally wrong? Therefore. "I will eat no meat" if my brother is offended.
Of course, surely this thing was discussed among the elders of that fellowship before being instituted as being an acceptable thing, all things considered. Me? It wouldn't bother me one way or the other as long as it is crystal clear that the participants are saved, Spirit-filled believers. And that the door to their yoga room stay closed while they are doing whatever it is that the do.
But to season my above statement with salt, I would strongly caution my fellow brothers and sisters against BORROWING a practice from the heathens who made this practice famous. What fellowship hath Christ and belial? So....again, while I may not worry too much if I passed a sunday school room full of people doing Yoga, others may be very concerned. You can tell that from the varied posts in this thread. Some are cautious and seem to forbid its practice, and some are more indifferent as long as all is done to the glory of God. I MUST say, that it would depend on a lot of different things, whether I accepted it or not. We have already seen the church doing it's best to become like the world around it. Perhaps this is one more.....open door that the Church of Christ (not referring to Thomas Cambell's bunch) should NOT go through. (If it seems that my stance shifted as I wrote this, it is because we are discussing a topic that I have never really been confronted with. I stand by the LAST sentence in my post)
  • Lori Smith likes this

#12 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Another issue which would seem to be relevant is : Does this practice glorify God to an unsaved newcomer to that particular church, which is the Body of Christ. "All things are permissable, but not all things are beneficial" says Paul. Will the practicing of a Far Eastern or Middle Eastern religous practice, even if the "gods" are replaced with "Jesus" or "God" be a stumbling block to a brand new believer who might think that it is totally wrong? Therefore. "I will eat no meat" if my brother is offended.

But to season my above statement with salt, I would strongly caution my fellow brothers and sisters against BORROWING a practice from the heathens who made this practice famous. What fellowship hath Christ and belial? So....again, while I may not worry too much if I passed a sunday school room full of people doing Yoga, others may be very concerned. You can tell that from the varied posts in this thread. Some are cautious and seem to forbid its practice, and some are more indifferent as long as all is done to the glory of God. I MUST say, that it would depend on a lot of different things, whether I accepted it or not. We have already seen the church doing it's best to become like the world around it. Perhaps this is one more.....open door that the Church of Christ (not referring to Thomas Cambell's bunch) should NOT go through. (If it seems that my stance shifted as I wrote this, it is because we are discussing a topic that I have never really been confronted with. I stand by the LAST sentence in my post)

Good word, Kevin. I would agree. From my perspective, it is the height of service to yield to a brother or sister when it comes to personal practices. One never knows the history of someone else...and it is better to prefer another over oneself. I have a lot of growing to do in this area...

#13 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Candice,

I have watched and waited to see how this question of yours would be discussed. I know absolutely nothing about yoga except that it is some kind of exercise program associated with the Far East.. So I really have no position on yoga unless it is closely associated with one of the non-christian religious sects in that region.
Your other statement concerned me very much though. "She is "free spirited", trusts in Christ, but believes muslims are saved....". I too, believe that muslims, buddhists, and others can be salvaged, redeemed, and saved to a relationship with the Father, but my bible says they will need to do something first. Jesus said, "I am the Truth, the Way, and the Life, and no one comes to the Father except through Me". Also, if it is true that anyone entering the sheep fold through any other means than the gate comes to rob and steal, what exactly does that mean as it relates to these other religions and how they could lead someone to salvation and eternal life? Not only is Jesus the Good Shepherd, He is also the door(gate) to the sheep fold. I certainly will not judge muslims, buddhists, and the like,(please forgive me if it sounds like I am) but it just is not clear to me how they recieve pardon for their sin without believing that Jesus is the Son of God, was incarnated, lived with us, was crucified, died for our sin, and was resurected 3 days later. As I understand salvation, there simply is only one way to get it....and religions of works(islam) seem to miss the boat in that reguard.
There seems to be a movement today that says..."if you are sincere in your belief, do good deeds, give money to the poor, and try not to hurt anyone, then you are saved". My bible says it makes no difference how good a man/woman you are, how many good works you do, how much money you give, or how sincere you are in your belief system, if you don`t confess that Jesus Christ is the risen Lord and repent, you just simply do not have salvation. I don`t care what Oprah says, it just won`t get it! If it would have, Jesus would have preached universalism........and He didn`t. He was pretty specific about the Way...it was HIM.
God would that none be lost but all recieve eternal life...but here we go with that old free will again. I have no hatred against these other religions at all, and I would really like to see them all saved by the shed blood of Jesus, but I think they have to repent, and confess that Jesus is Lord. If there is any other "Way" I would certainly want someone here( people I respect as christians) to tell me.

In Christ`s love,

Charlie
  • Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#14 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I took Yoga in my early 20's, years before I accepted God. I learn the breathing and emptying the mind. I never associated this with God but more on how to physically calm myself. Breathing techniques are also used in child birth. So some of this just has to do with the physiology of our bodies. When ever my instructor told me a certain exercise would bring great energy, I never felt it, so maybe I was given grace by God so it wouldn't turn me from him.

In my life since I was saved I've always believed that anything that takes your eyes of the Lord is wrong. And anything that has roots in another pagan religion can lead to be harassed by demons. I've gone through that trial too. Jesus is my only Healer and I choose to worship Him in a very simple Spirit filled way.
  • Lori Smith likes this

#15 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Charles,

There seems to be a movement today that says..."if you are sincere in your belief, do good deeds, give money to the poor, and try not to hurt anyone, then you are saved". My bible says it makes no difference how good a man/woman you are, how many good works you do, how much money you give, or how sincere you are in your belief system, if you don`t confess that Jesus Christ is the risen Lord and repent, you just simply do not have salvation.
Charlie

I agree with you on your comments in their entirety. My friend truly believes what you quoted above here. If you commit yourself, go ahead and seek Buddhism, et al.

I have a casual acquaintance with a couple from Iran who live here 9 months of the year and visit Iran winter. They are not Muslim per se, but would lean that way. I see them at their restaurant on occasion and visit with them. I don't judge. I'd like an opportunity to share Christ with them, but only as the Spirit leads.

GOD"s arm is not too short to reach anyone. I just have my human limitations and won't exceed what the Spirit of God leads me to do.

Thank you for your comments EVERYONE!

#16 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Candice,

Could you explain a little more about being committed to Christ and then seeking Buddhism et al. I'm just not getting the picture. :) Bets

#17 Diana Poling

Diana Poling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Candice,

You might want to suggest Praise Moves to your friend. It is a stretching exercise program, but clearly defines the spiritual dangers of yoga and the stumbling block it can be to others. Their website has a good article on this subject.

http://praisemoves.c...native-to-yoga/

Hope it helps.

#18 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Candice,

Could you explain a little more about being committed to Christ and then seeking Buddhism et al. I'm just not getting the picture. :) Bets

Sorry Betsy, I didn't see your reply. I don't know why she believes what she does. I just know she expresses that she believes that Jesus is her savior but that there are other paths and that all of them are fine; Christ died for all whether their Bhuddist, etc. That's what she said basically.
Candice
  • chipped china likes this

#19 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Candice,

You might want to suggest Praise Moves to your friend. It is a stretching exercise program, but clearly defines the spiritual dangers of yoga and the stumbling block it can be to others. Their website has a good article on this subject.

http://praisemoves.c...native-to-yoga/

Hope it helps.

Thank you Diana. In fact, I see my friend for coffee tomorrow at 12 noon and, if the SPIRIT leads, will seek her interest in this. But, I need to check it out first.
Candice

#20 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Candice, Isn`t it amazing how many "christians" who profess to know Jesus don`t know what He said about "other ways" to the Father? The early Church had to have large council meetings to decide what christians needed to believe to be called as such, but today people seem to think if they know who Jesus is, that is trusting in Him for salvation. For their sake, I hope they are right about that! John 10:7 "..I am the Gate for the sheep..." John 10: 1 "Anyone refusing to walk through the gate into a sheepfold, who sneaks over the wall, must surely be a thief". John 10: 9 "Yes, I am the Gate. Those who come in by way of the Gate will be saved and will go in and out and find green pastures".
There is a difference between knowning about Jesus and having a personal relationship with Him! When the Lord says..."I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me". He becomes very, very specific(at least in my mind) about who He is and what only He can do. I simply shudder when I hear of a "christian" saying that there are other ways to salvation and eternal life, because to me, that says to Christ,,"I understand that you gave your life for me, to redeem me from sin, and give me eternal life,....but I think I`ll trust this other system to give me salvation". What!!I know what you did for me...but no thanks???? I just don`t see how someone who professes christianity can get to that point.
God does love all mankind, but He will allow man to make a choice and reap the results of that choice.

I love being one of His sheep,

Charlie

• Lori Smith and chipped china like this