• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I have unsaved family members as many of us do. I wonder how far to take the sharing of the Gospel with anyone any more.
So, who draws who? I know Scripture says that GOD draws us and we only have knowledge of HIM because of HIS work. But then, reading Romans 1 (about last half of the chapter), I see we and they are all without excuse. Anyone?

#2 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I see that God draws us.

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Man is never the seeker in this natural world and has only responded to the seeking God. Adam, after the fall, did not ask the whereabouts of God....it was the other way around. All through the ages it is God who is the agressive seeker.....Noah, Abraham, Moses, Gideon, Samuel, John, Peter, and the woman at the well. Our response to the seeker God is the important thing in life. "what you think about when you think about God is the most important thing about you.." "The easiest thing for a man to do is think. If there is any time that we need to think correctly, it is when we think about God". Excellent statements that come from Tozer and Kenyon who were two saint who "got it right" in my opinion.
  • Julie Daube likes this

#4 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

God calls his children by name,he wants all to answer his call but alas he knows some will remain in hiding like Adam did at first in his shame.I once hid too but didn't even know it.i was so hid good and down and dirty and covered in my own filthy blanket that I thought was so comfy,see that is how I know that this being saved is fromJesus and I tell all who will listen 'cause if God can get me to come up out of hiding and step out and claim faith in him which I really knew very little,well it is really a gift THE best gift there ever was and I want anyone and everyone to know what Jesus did and does......
  • Charles Miles likes this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#5 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

"what you think about when you think about God is the most important thing about you.." "The easiest thing for a man to do is think. If there is any time that we need to think correctly, it is when we think about God".

I little off topic, but this Tozer statement is on a display at the N.O. in the first person. "What I think about God is the most important thing about me." I did not know the rest of the statement, which gives it a little more context. However, it always struck me as somewhat man-centered. What if what one thinks about God is wrong? I think "What God thinks about me is the most important thing about me" is safer ground. Perhaps I don't know the context well enough, but I was mainly going on how I read it here in the office.

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I believe that Tozer is saying that we must know God's true character - His true attributes which are in His Word, revealing truth. If we believe something otherwise, we are off.

#7 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

John,
I think what Tozer is saying is that we need to think right thoughts about God and not put our own ideas into His personage. God has attributes of Himself that He has mentioned and these tell us more about Him. What God thinks about us is stated in many scriptures, ....."but what God thinks about when He is self aware, we have no idea". Some people think of God as the "big man up there", the "sky pilot", or an absentee landlord.....these are wrong ideas about the Father, and to worship Him in those terms could be considered idolitry. Tozer`s "The Attributes of God" is a very, very good read on the subject. Although we can never know all there is to know about God, that does not reduce our obligation to learn as much about Him as possible. Starting such a study with "reverential awe" for His holiness and love for us will usually lead us in the right direction.

Yours in Christ,
Charlie