Photo

Good reading concerning the Deeper Life!!!!! Suggestions???

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Okay, I have amassed quite a collection. Andrew Murray (I like him alot), Aisen Wilson Tozer (I REALLY like him ALOT), A.B. Simpson (I could likely be a real good CMA member! lol).
I also have three volumns of the Puritan Divine (as they call 'em) Thomas Manton. Very difficult reading as it is still in the old Elizabethan style of writing. David Wilkerson, Carter Conlon, Charles Spurgeon (I like his writing even though I am not a 5 point Calvinist).
Brother Lawrence, Thomas A Kempis, Madame Guyon (Many of the books that I have are suggested reading by the man himself....Dr. Tozer. And there's more.
But what about you, fellow Christian who keeps clicking and posting one the Deeper Life forum? Would you care to suggest some reading materials pertaining to the Deeper Life in Christ!!!! I could surely even benefit from some Elementary teachings about our position in Christ and how that relates to our practical day to day walk. I am in a book buying mode.
Incidentally, I went to the local library this last Thursday and checked out a book entitled "Minor Prophets" by H.A. Ironside. It was first published in 1908! So I stumbled upon a great teaching Classic although I have never heard of the man....H.A. Ironside.
But THANKS for any suggestions for reading material. Got lotsa down time to read.

#2 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

It has been a while, but I thought Repenting of Religion by Greg Boyd was a good one.
  • Janet Root and Kevin Blankenship like this

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Kevin, You have amassed an impressive list of saints from which to study and they have much to say about our Lord and His love. Some books that I have found revealing about our position in Christ are: "The Father and His Family" by Kenyon, "From the Cross to the Throne" by Belhiemer(sp), and "Kindom Principles" by Miles Monroe. Tozer`s "Attributes of God" is always a great read and I learn something every time I read sections of it.
My friend, you are in a tough situation with your mother and I have the utmost repect for how you seem to be handling it. When we find ourselves in very tough situations, maybe we there to find truths, maybe to find God in the situation, or maybe just to strengthen faith. I don`t know answers to such things, but I do know that the Father will never desert one of His children....no matter what. Psalms 28: 6-9 " Oh, praise the Lord, for he has listened to my pleadings! He is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trusted in Him, and He helped me. Joy rises in my heart until I burst out in songs of praise to Him. The Lord protects His people and gives victory to His annointed king." These words really helped me in a recent tragic situation, and they are so true!
  • Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#4 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and also the extra kind words about me caregiving for my momma. She took care of me and never totally wrote me off, even in my darkest times. I am SO blessed to have this task of caring for her. It is difficult to describe how much it has helped ME while taking care of HER. Years of pent up bitterness and jealously have been effectively dealt with through my ministering to her needs. And at this point, she is completely and totally needy. I don't say that in disrespect towards her.....but to paint a clear picture. BUT.....today being Monday, I am OFF for a few hours to go play with my metal detector (before the rain gets here, and it's coming). Thanks again y'all.
  • Lori Smith, elizabethcog and chipped china like this

#5 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Kevin,

You might like this classic: The Holy Spirit: Who He is and What He Does by R. A. Torrey.

I saw an interview today with Chris Hodges who has written Fresh Air. It looks really good. I'm hoping I can find time to read it. Here's some background and reviews: http://www.amazon.co...words=fresh air
  • Kevin Blankenship likes this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#6 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

And there is always the classic " The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan
  • Lori Smith, Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

Pilgrim's Progress is a great one!
  • Kevin Blankenship and elizabethcog like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#8 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yes, I have two copies of Pilgrims Progress. The one with the original old style English....and the new updated modern English one. Read 'em both. Awesome allegorical reading.

#9 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

You're really smart Kevin. You know lots of words I have look up. HA :o

#10 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Kevin,
Praying for your mother and you.

I like Oswald Chambers and all those you listed. Also, They Found the Secret by V. Raymond Edman is inspiring and encouraging in its stories about specific old-time pastors, et al.

#11 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Kevin, also books by Major Ian Thomas are awesome!!

#12 David Paslay

David Paslay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• The Disciple's Walk

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hey Kevin, and the others that are following along. I wanted to share a small "book" that is a free download that I recently came across. It is "The Calvary Road" by roy Hession. You can find it at http://www.christian...calvaryroad.pdf

#13 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Try The Complete Green Letters by Miles J. Stanford on your position in Christ.

#14 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Here's another really GOOD and straight forward (not so wordy) book that is contemporary, but very nice explanation of our true position in Christ v. how we might " feel". I read this during some confusing times a few years ago and I think I may read it again as a reminder.

The Rest of the Gospel: When the Partial Gospel Has Worn You Out by Dan Stone and Greg Smith (Amazon)

#15 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Dear Newbie:

Hey Kevin, and the others that are following along. I wanted to share a small "book" that is a free download that I recently came across. It is "The Calvary Road" by roy Hession. You can find it at http://www.christian...calvaryroad.pdf

I read this several years ago and it is very good!
  • David Paslay likes this

#16 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Wow.....some awesome feedback!!!! Thanks sisters and brother!!!!

#17 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

I see that there is a Tozer book that I haven't got!!!! And I have been doing a devotional out of it everyday for awhile on Tozer's Devotional!!!! The name of the book is " The Set of the Sail" but AW Tozer!!!! I know what I'm ordering today, along with a few of the suggestions that have been made!!!
  • Lori Smith likes this

#18 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Kevin,

I've heard of it! I had an assignment based on the book. Let us know if you enjoy it! I might buy that too!

#19 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

I will Lori!!! I will likely order it from Amazon or Christian Booksellers tomorrow. You know what would be neat???? That we one this forum could swap books monthly. It would have to be done through the mail. And MIGHT present problems. I find myself being very particular about the book that I have accumulated......but if I have read them.......I could 'get over' my stinginess with my books. Of course, an agreement that the book would be reimbursed if the recipient accidentally ruined it or something might be in order. But then, it would likely strengthen the bond between us. And I wouldn't mind letting any one of y'all borrow any book that I have. Just return it in a reasonable time. If it's an older book with pages slipping out, I would understand that the book would undergo the rigor of being mailed. But I DO have small roll of that shrink wrap tape that I could wrapp them in before boxing the, I have accumulated several and most are dealing with the deeper life, Just an idear......kevin
  • Lori Smith likes this

#20 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

Kevin,

I think your idea of a book exchange (or borrow) is a good one. However, I'm like you, I become quite attached to my books. :P What might be an alternative, is to share information about various books with one another! We could have an online review that would help each of us in our selections! Of course those who wish can exchange books with one another.

Lori