• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

It has been years since I pondered and struggled with the seeker-senstive, growth movement, purpose driven church ideology. This just opens up the topic for anyone who wants to offer up insight.
Candice

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

The church that I have "SORT OF" become a member of....up until a few months ago when the scales fell from my eyes, is tremendously seeker-sensitive. Since the pastor and I would have lunch together every Wednesday i was able to learn more about the inner workings of the Southern Convention movement. A church. and church's pastor, are evaluated by how many baptisms are performed each month. In fact, if I have my facts right, a form is sent in to a higher up district office for evaluation. It must nmeet certain criterion to remain in the fold. This denomination claims to be evangelical, but the Pastor runs it all. He puts together Sunday School lessons and distributes the outline to the teachers. And he composes an alliterated sermon, 2 per Sunday.
Then there is a monthly "knock on doors/ pass out fliers" meeting where everyone who cares to meets on this certain week night and knocks on neighborhood doors and gives a leaflet of Riverview Baptist....."Something for the entitre family!" it reads, or something to that effect. But it's not strange around here, in the land of many churches, where the same type practice is carried on. Whether all of this is right or wrong, I am too young in the Lord to ascertain. I just know that it is what I have been seeing in every church I attend with intentions of FINALLY finding a place to NOT break the commandment (well, the pastors all say that it is a strict commandment) of: "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves as is the manner of some." It's no longer for me, Others will disagree. But the churches in my area, while well intentioned probably, have become glorified businesses. And again I'll say this: there was a poster, a brother in Christ, the other day that posted something to the effect that the church in America would do wellto go back to having Home Church. A Place where ALL sisters and brothers in Christ can fellowship and participate, whether they have "Doctor of Divinity" behind their name or not. JMHO. kevin (Candace, I hope that this was somewhat on topic)
  • chipped china likes this

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

I guess I`m just too simple to understand a "seeker sensitive" movement in christian churches today. Maybe I don`t understand just who these seekers are that are being the driving force of what a church does and teaches, but I`ll be open to any biblically based facts about such churches. Do these "seekers" really know what it is they are seeking? Maybe they seek a comfortable surrounding, a good youth program, or just a quiet place to meditate on Sunday. I get a bit worried when we change what churches teach so as to make things comfortable for all. Paul said that any gospel preached that was different from what he taught was really, really bad stuff, and should be avoided. He also said stronger stuff about those who corrupt the message. How about the church teaches Christ, and Him crucified, God`s grace, and God`s love? I don`t know what these seekers are seeking, but if that isn`t what they are seeking, they are seeking in the wrong place(in my opinion). Nothing wrong with outreach and church activities, but the Church should be about the Father`s business.
  • Julie Daube likes this

#4 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

The church that I have "SORT OF" become a member of....up until a few months ago when the scales fell from my eyes, is tremendously seeker-sensitive. Since the pastor and I would have lunch together every Wednesday i was able to learn more about the inner workings of the Southern Convention movement. A church. and church's pastor, are evaluated by how many baptisms are performed each month. In fact, if I have my facts right, a form is sent in to a higher up district office for evaluation. It must nmeet certain criterion to remain in the fold. This denomination claims to be evangelical, but the Pastor runs it all. He puts together Sunday School lessons and distributes the outline to the teachers. And he composes an alliterated sermon, 2 per Sunday.
Then there is a monthly "knock on doors/ pass out fliers" meeting where everyone who cares to meets on this certain week night and knocks on neighborhood doors and gives a leaflet of Riverview Baptist....."Something for the entitre family!" it reads, or something to that effect. But it's not strange around here, in the land of many churches, where the same type practice is carried on. Whether all of this is right or wrong, I am too young in the Lord to ascertain. I just know that it is what I have been seeing in every church I attend with intentions of FINALLY finding a place to NOT break the commandment (well, the pastors all say that it is a strict commandment) of: "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves as is the manner of some." It's no longer for me, Others will disagree. But the churches in my area, while well intentioned probably, have become glorified businesses. And again I'll say this: there was a poster, a brother in Christ, the other day that posted something to the effect that the church in America would do wellto go back to having Home Church. A Place where ALL sisters and brothers in Christ can fellowship and participate, whether they have "Doctor of Divinity" behind their name or not. JMHO. kevin (Candace, I hope that this was somewhat on topic)

The experience you describe reminds me of one that I myself experienced. I saw similar things like self-advertising and self-perpetuating mentalities, while lacking the desire to go beyond the walls of the church to do the very things we were called to do like loving our neighbors and setting people free from bondage. I believe that these are some of the attitudes that are pervasive throughout much of the church. I believe that there are times where God will reveal things like this, not only so we can see the truth of the state of the world in which we live, but also as a starting point in raising us up so we can do something about it.

For me, I feel that God has drawn me outside the walls of the church to be out in the world. Sometimes the only way to reach certain people is to live among the very people that you are trying to reach. Each of us has a place that God is leading us to, where He can use us, but we need to be willing to seek Him and let Him lead us into the place that He has envisioned for us. That path can be long and painful, and God may lead us into places that totally go against everything we know and everything that we have been taught.

I would just encourage you to keep searching, seeking and don't be disheartened, for God has started a good work in your life. In time, He will bring it to completion.
  • chipped china likes this

#5 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, Candice, for soliciting our feedback on this topic. I believe that the concept of seeker-sensitive churches developed from a well-intentioned desire to make church appealing to those who would not ordinarily enter a church, in hopes of reaching them with the gospel. That being said, I have a major problem with the term "seeker": there is really no such thing. The Bible makes it clear that human beings, in their fallen, sinful state, do not seek God, but that He seeks us out. In fact, we are not even capable of seeking God until the Holy Spirit lifts the veil from our eyes and convicts us of sin. In John 6:44, Jesus says, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him." God draws us; we do not seek Him. Once He begins to draws us, however, we can in turn respond to Him or reject Him. So perhaps the "seekers" in those seeker-sensitive churches are those whom God is already drawing to Himself.

As Charlie's comments suggest, we should never change what the church teaches in order to make people comfortable in their sin. But if the seeker-sensitive movement simply wants to make church an inviting place where everyone feels welcome, I have no problem with that.
  • Brian Elmer, Lori Smith, Charles Miles and 1 other like this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thank you for insight from all of you. I agree heartily here. I especially was so shocked and stunned and plainly put into a stupor when the pastor handed out a form to each person in our small group at church (the seeker-senstive one). This form had 15 lines on it and an image of a blue ribbon at the top. Within 15 weeks, we were each to share the Gospel with 15 people and report back. I said I didn't know that the LORD necessarily was into that agenda for each of us. Certainly not me. The pastor said I was divisive and to submit and not argue about it. UGH! That brought about months of personal soul searching and, quite honestly and regrettably, offense on my part with the pastor and his wife. Not so much with the new believers there who knew no better. I felt like they thought I had five heads or something when I questioned it (privately of course). JESUS have mercy on all of us!

Aside, I just returned home to see my neighbor who is a wicken (sp?) actually wearing a fur witches hat and saying she was celebrating. I asked her if she was trick or treating. She said no, just celebrating. Well, we live up on a mountain with only a hand full of neighbors! The evil. She needs the LORD and it's been impossible to penetrate that.

Again, JESUS have mercy on us all.
Candice
  • Lori Smith and chipped china like this

#7 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Wow, Candice, that pastor sounds very controlling! I would definitely have a problem with his approach (and I wouldn't remain in such a church for very long). I could understand if he asked the group to pick 15 unsaved people for whom to pray, in hopes of eventually sharing the gospel with them (as the Holy Spirit gives opportunity). But to basically make that a requirement would raise a huge red flag for me. Also, it disregards those Scriptures which teach that sometimes, our role is to plant seeds (or water them) and not always to lead a person to Christ (especially if the person is not ready to receive Him yet).

I pray that God will soften the heart of your Wiccan neighbor. Lord, open her eyes to the evil of the Wicca worldview and reveal yourself to Candice's neighbor.

Just as I was typing this, I happened to remember a prayer that a Bible study teacher recommended praying for lost people. It is based on Ephesians 1:15-23 (he actually wrote out the prayer on a card, with blanks to fill in for the name of the person we were praying for). I have prayed that prayer for several people over the years and have recently seen some fruit from this intercession. You might want to consider praying those verses from Ephesians for your nieghbor (Even though Paul was addressing the passage to believers, the things he prayed are all things we would want to see happen in the lives of lost people as well). I am sure there are other prayers from God's Word that you could pray for your neighbor (if you aren't already doing so). Prayer can penetrate the most hardened heart. Love, too, can do that. I will pray that God will give you opportunities to share His love with your neighbor.
  • Alexhomarr likes this

#8 seeking grace

seeking grace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

"The pastor said I was divisive and to submit and not argue about it."
Whoah! So many inappropriate retorts going through my head when i read this. :)
But after calming down, the best thing is to have said is, "Get behind me, satan!" And walk out the door.
The Word of Truth is divisive indeed. Jesus said He came with the Sword of Truth. Swords are made to divide. Pastors are not any more precious or important or fallible than you or me. Their wives..... Yeah, they are no better either.
If you are walking in the Truth, satan will try to take you down. Oswald Chambers said in his devotion today, "It is the apparent folly of the truth that stands in the way of hundreds (i say more like millions) who have been convicted by the Spirit of God."
Dont be discouraged. As long as you know you're following/living out Biblical principals, who cares what others say - regardless of his/her title.
"Peace if possible. Truth at all costs." ~ Martin Luther
  • Julie Daube and chipped china like this

#9 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I was just reading all of these replies presently. I just feel compelled to say that I love you guys and ladies. As brothers and sisters in the Lord of course. I guess I'm just feeling a bit sentimental today, because I don't usually say stuff like that just 'out of the blue'. I don't pass around the 'love' word a whole lot. Not NEAR as much as I should. But as I read what each of you write....no matter the subject.... I can see/fee/sense a spirit that loves Jesus. And you would have NEVER heard me say that 10 years ago. i would have been too embarrassed. I pray that God blessed each of you today individually. I simply can't WAIT to see each of you in eternity....worshipping together before the Great Throne!!!!!! Y'all are so precious.
  • chipped china and Alexhomarr like this

#10 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Julie, I guess what I was attempting to say(and I`m not always good at that) is that some churches I`ve been to won`t preach virgin birth, divinity of Christ, salvation without works, or that there really is a place called Hell. The rationale they use to do(or not do) these things is that to preach these things would alienate a certain number of people who would stay in the congregation. Why would a true seeker not be seeking the Truth? To not teach the truth just to make a certain segment of people "comfortable" so as to keep them is almost like the old shell game to me. "We won`t tell them all the facts until they have become a "member" so they will stay"! Maybe I`m just wrong here, but that kind of reasoning just seems to fly in the face of what the Church is asked to be. I am not saying that making churches "comfortable" by greeting and loving anyone who comes to a service is not the thing to do, and these things should always be done, but I do think changing the gospel so hearers of the Word see no need to repent and be changed is very, very wrong. People need to know what it is that we as christians believe,why we believe it, and what effect it will have on the believer.
  • Julie Daube, chipped china and Alexhomarr like this

#11 ladyharley

ladyharley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Reading, riding motorcycles, ministering to motorcyclists, teaching Bible study classes, keeping our granddaughter,
  • I am a Layperson

• Faith Assebly of God

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I appreciate your question about seeker sensitive churches and the openness to learning on this discussion board. Thank you for the opportunity to comment here. Looking forward to some more conversation.

My husband and I attended a church that began using the Purpose Driven church philosophy. We are mature believers who know the word. the Bible was never compromised nor the gospel watered down like you hear in some places. The pastor of the church had to do the most changing.... in how he preached mainly.... he was under conviction of the Lord to do this and bring it to the church.

What we saw in this particular church was:
1-they stopped using some terminology that unsaved folks don't understand..ie washed by the blood... and most unsaved folks attend a Sunday morning service
2-On Sunday morning were topical sermons whereas the preacher had been preaching verse by verse..he did not stop using the Bible as his basis, taught the word, and the altars were full because the topics were relevant to all people's needs
3-the music was more upbeat, and drama periodically was used to get points across
4-pastor dressed a little bit more casually, no tie mainly
5-Sunday night and Wednesday were for the more mature in Christ, although the topics on Sunday were for all people

Response:
1-older folks did not like the music,drama or the way the pastor dressed. We even held weekend conferences to teach and inform the people what we were doing and why we were doing it.
2-My sister and her husband, nonbelievers, loved the church and the messages. It was the first time I heard them say how much they enjoyed church.
3-At one of the weekend conferences, one lady told me we should go out into the community and get folks saved and then bring them into the church. I asked the lady if that meant she didn't want my sister and brother in law to attend the church.
4-A man living in a shelter began attending. He was delivered from alcohol and drug addiction. One Sunday he brought some friends from the shelter. They were totally ignored by the "members" of the church.
5-Many believed you should only use the King James Version of the Bible.
6-They got a group of dissenters together and eventually "ran" the preacher out of the church one Wednesday night. It was a sad time to see "Christians" use such tactics on a man they 100% voted to be their preacher. The people they brought in to vote had not been attending the church at all, but were on the roll. My heart hurt that night for their hard hearts and evil ways. I do believe they will answer for their actions, just as we all will.
We should all be like the Bereans and search the scriptures to see if what the preacher is saying is scriptural.
7-When you check out Rick Warren, you find he paid back Saddleback for the 25 years they paid his salary. I know someone who personally worked for him and loved him and what he taught. She had nothing to say about him that would indicate he taught teachings against scripture.
8-Again, I would say it is the responsibility of all Christians to "check out" their pastor's teachings, not in thinking he is teaching wrong principles, but so you know what the Bible says for yourself.
  • Julie Daube, chipped china and Alexhomarr like this

#12 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Julie, I guess what I was attempting to say(and I`m not always good at that) is that some churches I`ve been to won`t preach virgin birth, divinity of Christ, salvation without works, or that there really is a place called Hell. The rationale they use to do(or not do) these things is that to preach these things would alienate a certain number of people who would stay in the congregation. Why would a true seeker not be seeking the Truth? To not teach the truth just to make a certain segment of people "comfortable" so as to keep them is almost like the old shell game to me. "We won`t tell them all the facts until they have become a "member" so they will stay"! Maybe I`m just wrong here, but that kind of reasoning just seems to fly in the face of what the Church is asked to be. I am not saying that making churches "comfortable" by greeting and loving anyone who comes to a service is not the thing to do, and these things should always be done, but I do think changing the gospel so hearers of the Word see no need to repent and be changed is very, very wrong. People need to know what it is that we as christians believe,why we believe it, and what effect it will have on the believer.

Charles, I completely agree. I guess I am the one who didn't make myself very clear when I said that churches should not make people comfortable in their sin. What I meant was exactly what you meant - we shouldn't water down the truth in order to avoid alienating people. I don't think I said anything in my post to suggest that I was advocating changing the gospel. My point was that if a church that calls itself "seeker sensitive" is simply trying to be welcoming and inviting, that's fine. But if by seeker sensitive they mean withholding the truth to avoid offending people, that is absolutely wrong.
  • Lori Smith and Alexhomarr like this

#13 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I see many good aspects of the more "seeker friendly" v. "seeker sensitive". I read a book by Tim Kimmel about how people want the truth, the real church and not an altered form of Christianity as seekers of truth. However, the Scripture is clear that none seek truth. So, my next question is posted as a new topic "WHO DRAWS WHO?" so as not to get too complicated here.

However, the first beiief I have regarding the "movement" be it seeker sensitive, friendly or church growth movement is motive. Motive is everything.

I also realize that people in churches can be truly mean and unfriendly towards nonbelievers.

1-older folks did not like the music,drama or the way the pastor dressed. We even held weekend conferences to teach and inform the people what we were doing and why we were doing it.
2-My sister and her husband, nonbelievers, loved the church and the messages. It was the first time I heard them say how much they enjoyed church.
3-At one of the weekend conferences, one lady told me we should go out into the community and get folks saved and then bring them into the church. I asked the lady if that meant she didn't want my sister and brother in law to attend the church.
4-A man livinIg in a shelter began attending. He was delivered from alcohol and drug addiction. One Sunday he brought some friends from the shelter. They were totally ignored by the "members" of the church.
5-Many believed you should only use the King James Version of the Bible.

The above is all wrong, wrong, wrong. But isn't there a commandment from JESUS HIMSELF? Love others! That should be a given. My husband, son and I attend a church now that reflects many of the above problems. I can't even recommend anyone I know who is seeking a church to come to my own church! However, the seeker sensitive church we belonged to for two years when we first moved to Wyoming was speaking truth, but controlling. Making issues of what to wear to small group, etc. The pastor's wife told me to wear house clothes, like sweats and a hoodie instead of jeans and a sweater. I wasn't at all "dressed up", but what I usually wear. I don't go to the market in sweats! It's just me and my southern mom's childrearing! To make an entire topic on what to wear to church and small group is ridiculous! No scriptures were read. No scriptural basis. I wasn't wearing jewelery. I don't wear much jewelery. They didn't use that Scripture, but could have it I did.

If you share the gospel it had to be done according to a training manual they used, the "Diagram" way to share the Gospel only. They didn't want you to use any other "methods" Method matters. But I asked them what about the HOLY SPIRIT leading on that? Their response: " It has nothing to do with the HOLY SPIRIT. It's about obedience." If you're not sharing the Gospel on a frequent and consistent basis, you are not saved." They used this to thin out the herd so as to get only those whom they wanted to comprise the church: young couples before they had children and those with very young children so they could influence them. Older people like my husband and I (I had our son at 39 years old) were not their "target".

So, motive is everything. Who were they to say these things. Now I'm worked up about it again. I realize how wounded I am over all of this "programmed" church business and the controlling they did to our family and many others.

I need to pray.
Candice

#14 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ladyharly, thanks for sharing your experience. Your post pretty much describes what I was thinking of as a genuinely seeker sensitive church - one that preaches the truth without compromise in a way that is understandable to unsaved people. I like the emphasis on avoiding terminology that unsaved folks don't understand. Many years ago during my Catholic days, a group of people from a pentecostal church shared the gospel with me, using terminology that was completely foreign to me. Today, I like to call that type of communication "Christian-ese." The first thing they said when they approached me was, "Are you saved?" First of all, I didn't understand what they meant by "saved." Second, who is going to say "no" to such a question? I am sad to say that my initial impression of this well-intentioned group of Christians was that they were completely out of touch.

A dear family member who is a believer was having problems communicating the gospel to her colleagues at work. They just couldn't wrap their minds around the term "born again." They simply didn't understand what she meant when she kept telling them, "You have to be born again." I suggested that instead of using that particular term, she might want to simply tell them to trust in Jesus in order to receive the gift of eternal life. Her response was, "Okay, but then can I mention being born again?" She was so stuck on that term that she couldn't think of a way of explaining the gospel that her coworkers would understand.

When it comes to a true seeker-friendly church (as opposed to a church that just wants to compromise with the world), I think the goal should be to meet people right where they are - just as Jesus did - and then lead them into His truth without compromising or watering it down.
  • elizabethcog likes this

#15 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Most seeker sensitive churches in my area are NOT comprised of seeker sensitive individuals. They rely on the Pastors sermon to do the deed of relaying the saving message to the lost. At the church that I USED to call my home, the pastor would say....."All you have to do is to get him here on Sunday morning! I'll make sure that they hear the gospel message" (This guy is really full of himself) And then. after an Alliterated sermon (sorry....can't stand 'em) he gives the alter call: "With every head bowed, every eye closed, and no peeking, will the people who feel God knocking at your hearts door just slip up your hand and back down quickly........etc etc ad nauseum) Usually one regular attender will go up front as "Just as I am" is being sung and take the preacher by the hand. He will announce that so and so has rededicated their life to the Lord and that the Angels in heaven are rejoicing. This our cue to start clapping. Okay.....I won't relate any more of this because i am repeating myself. I am SO disheartened with the local church, and NOT just that one. Their numbers are shrinking. My town needs a POWERFUL AWAKENING!!!! It doesn't even need a revival. Ya got to have something to revive. And who wants to revive the dead dead dead tradition that has taken a strong grip on this area. My prayer is for God to send a TRUE MAN OF GOD into this area. A True, Spirit Filled, Man of God, who is above reproach. To tear down all of these asherai (sp) poles from the high places. I don't have the answer...yet. But I am pouring out prayer before God to save my town and county and country!!! Americans are TOO distracted....for the most part....for religion (the true and proper usage of the word) to interfere with their TRUE heart felt loves. Amusements...hobbies....prospering....stockmarkets.....new cars and bass boats......and on and on. Listen to people talking. They betray pretty quickly, what their heart desires. And I know this from listening to me! "Oh God....that YOU become the Supreme Desire of my Heart!!!!!!!"
PS: sorry of this is off track nd has nothing to do with a seeker sensitice church.

#16 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Julie, lady, and Kevin....I too think the Church should meet people "where they are" and befriend them with the love of God. This really is a main mission of the Church. I guess I`m a bit overloaded with the "let`s change our church into something everybody wants to come to so we can enlarge our congregation". I`m all for making church easier to attend for young people with children as well as elderly seniors with mobility problems, making praise and worship more appealing to young people(hey, it`s ALL praise and worship as far as I`m concerned), and maybe tempering very complicated theological points. The gospel is so simple that many of us missed it years ago thinking it was a complex works related formula way too complicated for the average man/woman. The fact that we are made acceptable to God the Father by an act done by God the Father just for our(my) benifit is EXCITING. The fact that God loved me before time began...is EXCITING. Maybe the "seeker" friendly church is a church that is excited about what has been done for us and wants to share that excitement with anyone who will listen or even observe what all the excitement is about. What else would have to be done to make a church "seeker friendly" other than to have this "seeker" see a group of people allowing the love of Christ to radiate from them in such a way that is very visible daily? I guess what I am trying to say is that I`m not for change just for change sake, but I would be all for a change that better revealed the presence of Holy Spirit and the love, grace, and leadership of the Lord.

May the Lord bless discussions such as this that may be useful in making worship services more inclusive of all His children, both present and future.

Charlie
  • Julie Daube and elizabethcog like this

#17 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I'd rather read these posts than go to a building and sit through the structured service. I'm not saying they are all bad. The service I attend once in a while is good, about as good as one gets. But this is real church to me. Everyone participating, expressing what they are learning, their challenges, edifying and rebuking another, and praising our Lord and Savior. I've gotten simple and just look for the little God things He puts before me each day.
I appreciate and love everyone that writes things on this site. It's honest and real too me.To Jesus be the Glory!!!!! We are one in Him, Betsy
  • Lori Smith and Alexhomarr like this

#18 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Julie, lady, and Kevin....I too think the Church should meet people "where they are" and befriend them with the love of God. This really is a main mission of the Church. I guess I`m a bit overloaded with the "let`s change our church into something everybody wants to come to so we can enlarge our congregation". I`m all for making church easier to attend for young people with children as well as elderly seniors with mobility problems, making praise and worship more appealing to young people(hey, it`s ALL praise and worship as far as I`m concerned), and maybe tempering very complicated theological points. The gospel is so simple that many of us missed it years ago thinking it was a complex works related formula way too complicated for the average man/woman. The fact that we are made acceptable to God the Father by an act done by God the Father just for our(my) benifit is EXCITING. The fact that God loved me before time began...is EXCITING. Maybe the "seeker" friendly church is a church that is excited about what has been done for us and wants to share that excitement with anyone who will listen or even observe what all the excitement is about. What else would have to be done to make a church "seeker friendly" other than to have this "seeker" see a group of people allowing the love of Christ to radiate from them in such a way that is very visible daily? I guess what I am trying to say is that I`m not for change just for change sake, but I would be all for a change that better revealed the presence of Holy Spirit and the love, grace, and leadership of the Lord.

May the Lord bless discussions such as this that may be useful in making worship services more inclusive of all His children, both present and future.

Charlie

Amen, Charlie! I couldn't have said it better.

#19 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Charles and everyone, your responses are great.

#20 ladyharley

ladyharley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Reading, riding motorcycles, ministering to motorcyclists, teaching Bible study classes, keeping our granddaughter,
  • I am a Layperson

• Faith Assebly of God

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Hello all,
My husban and I are part of the -------------- a great ministry to lost bikers. Our position is that of --------, in charge of 13 chapters within our state. In this position we mostly deal with situations with people who say they are Christians. Since ----- is an inter-denominationl association, we have folks from all denominations.
We have noticed a couple of common themes in these "Christians" as we deal with issues:
1- many do not want to come under authority (ultimately they are under the authority of God, who has placed our CEO where he is, so when they rebel against authority under -----, it is really rebeling against God) and
2) they want to believe the Bible as it relates to issues that are in their favor. When confronted with the Bible about issues such as living together, although plainly stated in the scriptures, they want to say they can't afford to get married, they will lose their benefits....... and a host of other excuses. We are even finding this in our church family...
----- is NOT a church. We are all commanded to gather together with fellow believers on a regular basis. However, some "Christians" like to pick and choose what parts of the Bible are true.
Recently, we dealt with a lady wanting to join -----, who did not get married under the legal system in our state. The pastor of the church of her "significant other" told here there are many ways to get married, you don't have to get married and have a marriage certificate. He even used the OT and told her that in those times, they didn't have marriage certificates. Her "significant other" and the pastor had them get married "this way" so the two of them could keep the benefits of their deceased spouses. And yet, the lady when filing her taxes files unmarried. She was not allowed to join ------ because you hvae to also follow the laws of the land, according to the Bible. And the laws of the land in our state is that you have to have a legal marriage license. There is no common law....This has caused some dissension with some other folks in the local chapter. Sadly, they want to agree with her and her "pastor" and her "significant other". The lady told me one day that she believes that this issue is hindering her spiritual walk, as well as if she is married she has lied on her tax return for three years. This breaks my heart. I am praying the Lord will use this issue to push this lady forward in her walk with Him and her eyes will be opened to the truth. I really believe these folks have "deceived"her in what the Bible says.

We, as Christians, need to be in church regularly and must believe in the WHOLE BIBLE or none of the BIBLE. There is no in between. Our pastor challenges us to study the Bible and know for ourselves what it says. However, we all know that we must be open to hearing what the Lord is saying to us, no matter whether it makes us feel good or not, or whether or not we get our way.