• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:01 AM

First of all, what do I mean by a split mind? In this case, I refer to a mind that we allow to run us, instead of us bringing our minds under the discipline needed to control them. It is a normal human trait to let our minds wander into multiple thoughts. Many people live by emotions and impulses and without careful forethought. They let life just happen. Perhaps our minds turn to accumulating things. Maybe they concentrate on fun and entertainment. (Nothing wrong with that in balance). Their thoughts may center on winning recognition for their accomplishments. In any event, it is too often like the cow pulling the plow where the cow wants to go instead of the farmer controlling the cow to get the plowing done. True disciples cannot afford to fall prey to this kind of irresponsibility. In James 1:8, we are warned that, "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." When our minds scatter in a number of directions, nothing will be done really well. If we haven't done so, it is time to let the Word of God center our thinking and motivation on thorough commitment to God's will for our lives. If we will focus our energy on obedience to His plans for us, we'll greatly increase our effectiveness and Spiritual fruitfulness. Paul, on the way to the goal to which he had commited himself, declares his purpose in these words, "....this one thing I do...." (From Philippians 3:13). Elsewhere, he expressed his heartbeat this way, "For to me to live is Christ...." (From Philippians 1:21) Does Jesus not deserve our complete devotion and availability? Can we give less of ourselves to His goals, than our unsaved counterparts give to their temporal goals? Selah! Paul's God-given strength came from doing what he reminded the Corinthians (and us) that we are expected to do. He told them, in II Corinthians 10:5, that we are to be "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Thinker (Ron)
  • Charles Miles likes this