Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

I was reading about “Anna the daughter of Phanuel” this morning (Luke 2:36). She fasted and prayed in the temple daily, and when Jesus was brought before the LORD: “She came and began to praise God and to speak about the Child to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem” (v.38). What strikes me about this is that so many were looking for a national redemption that they missed the gift God presented.

I wonder how often we do the same? I know that I was surprised to find my true calling, and that I had missed it earlier because I was looking for an earthly thing instead of God Himself as my portion. What I mean is that I had always hoped to be called to serve in an exciting church atmosphere. However, what God had called me to was lonely places with God as my portion. I actually rejoiced when I discovered this because I found that this was truly the desire of my heart rather than the previous desire.

In all of this, I am not suggesting that serving in a church is the lesser call. On the contrary; however, I do suggest that all should ponder what happened when Jesus arrived. The people were so consumed with seeing the redemption of a nation that they missed what God truly brought, which was reconciliation to Himself. Indeed, that too is what the true mission of the church is—it is to bring the lost back to God. We are all meant to sup at the table of the Lord, and no heart is completely satisfied until it finds its primary hope in the God who desperately loves us and rejoices over us.
  • StevePage and Charles Miles like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Lori, the Lord speaks so well through you. :)
  • StevePage likes this

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Thanks Betsy! Love and grace to you!
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."