• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

A virus can do untold damage to our bodies. It can cause suffering and pain. It can incapacitate us and keep us from meaniningful activities. It can even bring death to our bodies. Far worse and far more insidious is a spiritual virus that I have chosen to label as the "L" Virus. This virus infects our deepest inner being. It can greatly limit our usefulness or even destroy it altogether. It can bring a deadness into our spiritual vitality that is worse than physical death to our bodies. The infection is brought about by contact with spiritually unhealthy places, things and close relationships with ungodly carriers. The enemy of our souls has subtly introduced this virus into the human race via Adam and Eve's fall and it has been passed on ever since. It is a consequence of sin(s). What is it? In its unadulterated form, it is an indifference to, or lack of interest in, or willful ignorance of God and His love. It renders us majoring on self, what we want and how we are going to live our lives. Its strength lies in its ability to keep our minds on the things of earth and away from the only One who can cure us of this terrible malady. It produces apathy, boredom, laziness and lack of discipline. It eats at the soul, a spiritual cancer that is loathsome. It is Laodiceanism or the "L" Virus. Its chief effectiveness is the use of all means to keep our minds pre-occupied with anything and everything but what really matters eternally. The key-word is distraction. The method is mis-direction. Jesus was nauseated by it. He challenged it, condemned it, but offered a cure to us. Selah! In His own words, He warns, "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of My mouth." He offers the cure, " I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent" (Revelation 3:15-16;18-19). Will we take the cure? Thinker (Ron Pinkham)
  • StevePage likes this

#2 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Ron,

Thanks for the interesting post! It's amazing how the devil is able to convince both believers and unbelievers that God is not worthy of our complete fascination. Indeed, the devil distracts and distorts in order to draw the attention of the world to anyone or anything but God. Christians are lured into activities made of wood, hay, and stubble; and the world is deceived into believing that God is a boring concept. The result is apathy as you have stated.

That's one reason I love A. W. Tozer so much. He was captivated by God, and he shared with the world all he had encountered at the feet of Jesus. The fruit of Tozer's writings and teachings has been a revival of hearts. Indeed, one can see through Tozer and others that God can indeed be found by the true pursuer of Him. The end result is vitality rather than lukewarmness, and life instead of death.

Blessings,
Lori
  • StevePage and Thinker like this
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#3 Thinker

Thinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Lori, Thanks for the comments. One of the reasons to appreciate Tozer is his Christ-centeredness. Like the Apostle Paul, Jesus filled his thoughts and captured his heart. Theirs was an intense pre-occupation with the magnificent vision. May we settle for nothing less in our times. His best! Thinker (Ron pinkham).
  • Lori Smith likes this