• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

First, I have to point out that the typical understanding of "Church" is a building where a particular religious persuasion meets together. This, however, is far from the Biblical concept of "Church." Without going into a detailed discussion of the matter, let me confine these remarks to the "Church" as a whole. The "Church" is the sum total of all truly born again Christians. Usually, they do meet in a building. They worship, sing, praise, give thanks, learn from God's Word, pray, love, support and serve, etc. As wonderful and essential as these all are, there is an often unexperienced component in our interaction with fellow believers. How much do we care, love, help, encourage, appreciate, weep with, rejoice with and pray for each other, after we leave the place of assembling? Do we find that our commitment to these things fades, the further we go away from the meeting? How do we want our brothers and sisters to interact with us? Think on these Scriptures: "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works" (Hebrews 10;24). "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another" (Romans 14:19). "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep" (Romans 12:15). How are we implementing these things in our weekday lives? Selah! "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" (Colossians 3:16). Interacting or ignoring? This most important choice is ours to make. Let's do so with eternity's values in view. Will it be said of us, "See how they love one another?" Ron
  • StevePage likes this

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Very pertinent questions, Ron! I am blessed to be part of a fellowship (First Evangelical Free Church of Colorado Springs) that does all of those things, not just on Sunday but in various ways throughout the week. For example, one church member who is a mechanic has spent many hours repairing our car for free; I know of similar acts of love that take place among the congregation on a regular basis.

Interestingly, I have found that social networking sites, such as Facebook, can faciliate the type of interaction you described. Recently, a neighborhood where many of our church members live was ravaged by the most destructive wildfire in our state's history. At least 20% of the church families were evacuated, including the pastor and his family, and four families lost their homes. Because of the evacuations, the church members were scattered throughout the city in shelters, the homes of friends who took them in, or in motels; some church members (such as our pastor) had to leave town because there were no hotel vacancies and all the shelters were full. However, during that traumatic time, most of our church members were able to stay connected because we are on Facebook! :) We were able to share prayer requests, weep with each other, and encourage and edify one another during that terrible tragedy, even though it was physically impossible for us to meet in person. Many of us shared uplifting scriptures and testimonies of how our faith was carrying us through this disaster. During those dark days when we were unable to meet together, Facebook became our church! It was beautiful.
  • StevePage and Thinker like this

#3 Thinker

Thinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Julie, Thanks for telling me about the way your church has been living out these things. So much ministering to the brethren occurs on Sundays and at prayer meeting, but not in between. It is refreshing when we share true love, care, encouragement and help. "By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another"-Jesus Ron (Thinker)
  • Julie Daube and StevePage like this