• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi, to those who have expressd themselves in this forum. The input is good. We need to challenge each other, in loving and sensitive ways, and learn from the discussion. Some basics come to mind. First, security is never assured to one who has only made a head profession of being saved. This is only for those who are truly converted. Nor should we offer assurance to any who are living in sin, apparently not bothered over it. Yes, we explain as fully as possible the implications of coming to Christ and press His rightful claims on the enquirer, He, having paid an infinite price to purchase them. Yes, there is a growth process and He graciously gives us time to grow. We stumble, fall and backslide. However, if we are truly saved, He is quite capable of using all necessary means to restore and correct us. "The bottom line" it seems to me is that, if we are truly converted, He is not going to lose us. If He could lose some, there would be no assurance for anyone. A real consideration in this conversation is that our new nature, given to us at the moment of salvation, longs, even among our failures, to get squared back around with our Savior. Philippians 1:6 is one of our guarantees of His keeping power. Ron (Thinker).
  • Charles Miles likes this

#22 StevePage

StevePage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Clinton First Wesleyan Church

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

I wish you had rejoined the conversation earlier.

Rather than rehashing everything that's been said, I will only say (only for the benefit of those who are still undecided on the question of "once saved always saved") there is more than one view on eternal security and it is an idea that is never seen elsewhere in any covenant found in scripture. 

To be honest a good argument can be made for eternal security, however if we are still being honest we will also see that a good argument can also be made against it. Both sides can cherry pick verses and throw them out to prove their side. So other than the standard "proof" verses that each side is fond of, how else can we study this?

Here are just a couple of suggestions for those who want to study the doctrine of once saved always saved, first we should look to the old testament, and (as I have said) you'll find there is never any covenant in scripture that a person could not decide to walk away from. I understand why we cannot believe (or understand) that a person would walk away from such wonderful grace and love, but it is not impossible.

Another thing we can look at is history. What is the history of the Eternal Security doctrine? This method is not as sound as scripture, but when we study history we can see what the Apostles taught their students and use that to come to a better understanding of scripture.

Augustine first introduced this idea 250 years after Christ was crucified and no Apostolic or Church father ever spoke of eternal security or anything even close to that doctrine that I know of. It actually looks like those, that the apostles taught, did not teach "once saved always saved" and that they even spoke in ways that showed they did not believe it.

For those of you who are unsure of what to believe I would say the best thing to keep in mind is that Jesus said, if you remain in me I will remain in you, and If you love me obey me. Years later the Apostle John wrote 1 John. In that letter he spoke of those who fell away but then he spoke to those who were truly saved and said, "As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us—eternal life." 

Jesus said, John said it and so did Paul, ""Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain"

God will never leave us, and He will do everything to keep us with Him, but we must make the choice to remain with Him. We can't walk with Him and then turn from Him, never returning, and expect to be saved.

I believe in eternal security. As long as I abide in Christ, I’m eternally secure. As long as I abide in Him, He’s going to keep me from falling and present me faultless before His glorious presence. I believe that and I experience God’s security. This is just my view of Eternal Security, and like the others I could be mistaken.
  • Tkulp likes this