• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

As I recall the story, the experiment resulted in the personality of the subject being controlled at one point in time by goodness and at another point in time by evil. I'm hazy on this but I seem to remember that the evil outdistanced the good. In any event, there is a lesson here for the genuine believer. Before we received Jesus as Savior and Lord, evil pretty much had the upper hand in our lives. (Yes, we did do a lot of good things and had some good values). Still, we basically lived for self and that, by itself, is an affront to God's right of reign in our lives. God, in His redemptive purposes, has a plan for correcting that problem. When we come to Christ, He implants within us a new nature that hungers and thirsts for righteousness. As this new nature is fed and nourished on God's Holy Word, the old nature loses ground and we gradually gain in practical holiness. There is a battle between the two natures. Sometimes, the old nature offers fierce resistance to that which is right. This is a temporary situation which the Holy Spirit is working 24/7 to offset. In other words, the battle is not an excuse to assume that it will be victory one day and defeat the next. The more that the Word takes root, the more the fruit of righteousness will be manifested. From the moment of Spiritual rebirth all the way to our homegoing, our old nature is being overcome by our new nature. When we stand before God, the sanctifying process will be climaxed in glorification, at which point the old nature will be totally overcome with no further influence on us. WHAT A DAY THAT WILL BE! Meanwhile, let us " Follow (pursue) peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).
  • elizabethcog likes this

#2 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • The Bridge

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Indeed Thinker I like the reference to our new and old nature doing battle quite fitting then that God empowers us with full armor for this very war,we just have to believe it.That we can defend self and others with peace,loveand mercy and the word of God=D
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#3 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

Out with the old, in with the new! I cling to the word and the word clings to me.

One passage that stands out is being transformed by the renewing of our minds...meditating on the word is the real work of this renewal, for at that point there is no space for the things of darkness. I was reading something else this morning that said it like this...the water of the word pushes the oil of self out even as oil and water do not mix. So Jesus, the living water, pushes out the oil of my old nature as I allow Him (the living water) to take up residence in my soul.