• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

The concept that we can in some way choose to receive Jesus as Savior but not necessarily as Lord has likely led to too many people wearing the label "Christian" without the content in the heart. There is a justifiable concern to not in any way make "works" a prerequisite for salvation. However, He is both Savior and Lord! We don't make him our Savior and Lord; we receive Him as Savior and Lord. When we receive Him, we receive Him in both roles. It is no more a "work" to receive Him as Lord than to receive Him as Savior. Salvation is the beginning point of learning to yield to His Lordship. It isn't an instant accomplishment but rather a new direction with a definite destination. Cutting off any further responsibility for growth in holiness at justtification is folly. As one pastor wisely asked one who had responded to a gospel invitation, "Are you ready to give up the control of your life?" To those who have been stirred by a presentation of the gospel, let's give them an understanding of the implications. "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" (Romans 10:10). Ron Pinkham
  • emkacee likes this

#2 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Salvation is a wonderful thing and is the thing that brings many to the Lord. I will agree that salvation is a starting point for study and application of His Lordship in our lives and many of the most wonderful aspects of living in the Kingdom while we still remain on earth are only found by giving the Lord his Lordship in our lives. Can we be "saved" and not experience the joys of Kingdom life? I think so, but oh, what a loss of joy and peace that are available to us if we but look and seek.
  • emkacee likes this

#3 emkacee

emkacee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

"The concept that we can in some way choose to receive Jesus as Savior but not necessarily as Lord..."
Seems to be a relevent question re: those who at one time (for varying lengths of time) proclaimed Jesus as Savior, but now, seem trying hard to avoid Him. What was the depth of the original commitment?
So very sad for that person.
Lately, my young adult granddaughters Brittney and Jessica: It seems they fit the description of unplowed, rocky soil in Jesus' parable of the Sower.
These thoughts have caused me to consider that the soil doesn't HAVE to remain unprepared. It can be "plowed up" by Holy Spirit and watered by the Word.
Then that deep recognition of Jesus' redemption of them from slavery of sin will certainly cause recognition and submission to The LORD.
If any brothers/sisters read this, please make a brief request to our Father for this to happen to Jessica and Brittney.

Thank you.
  • Thinker likes this

#4 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

I`m a bit confused by the direction of this discussion, but since I know we here are children of God and seekers of truth and guidance, I will ask the age old question. Can one lose salvation? Christ said that once in the Father`s hand none willbe separated from the love of the Lord. As I read and study the word on this subject, I come to the conclusion that salvation is a once and forever thing but the fruits of living the Kingdom life are not always available to those who wander from God`s favor. Once acceptance of Christ`s sacrifice on our behalf is taken into the heart, salvation is a done deal, but the joy and fruits of the Holy spirit are not automatic unlessChrist is made Lord of our lives. I respectfully ask all those who read this poorly crafted paragraph to think back to the day and instant of your own salvation. Did you immediately accept His Lordship? I hope you did, but many of us did not do that at the time. Salvation is in an instant but renewal of the mind is a longer trail that we all follow at different speeds. A song comes to mind, written by my favorite praise leader(Fran)... "He says I love you, I say please forgive me, He says, I already have "He says I love you, I say make me like you, He says I have that in mind". Most all of us who love the Lord have an urgency about this renewal of the mind, and for good reason. This will come with study of the Word, meditation on the Word, and guidance from the Holy spirit. One can have renewal of the mind and make Jesus Lord of our lives, but there is some efort needed here.

I pray that all Christians, new ones, old ones, and confused ones, all seek this renewal of the mind with all our heartfelt gratitidue for all that has been done for us.
Yours in Christ,
Charlie

#5 Thinker

Thinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Humor, Writing, Counseling, Bible Study,Discipling and Revival
  • I am a Pastor

• Webbs Mills Free Baptist Church

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

This is a reply to Charles Miles regarding his thoughts on the "Make or Receive?" article:

Thanks for the good thoughts on my article. Yes, when we come to Jesus as Savior and Lord, we are secure for eternity. However, as the bold print emphasizes, He is to be received as both. No, this is not instant perfection. It is the beginning of a life long journey of sanctification. He declares us judicially perfect and then proceeds to perfect us. Yes, there will be setbacks, spiritual stumbling, failures and mistakes. There will also be correction and sometimes chastisement. Nevertheless, the basic direction of our walk of faith is to make progress all of our lives. The concern that I addressed in the article was the misguided asumption that one can somehow be saved and still essentially keep on going on with their old lifestyle. Lordship is initiated at the moment of rebirth and submitted to as we grow and understand. The new nature craves His will in our lives. The old way steadily loses interest for us and we desire to honor Him. Neglect of the Word can retard spiritual growth. That neglect will invite correction and, if necessary, the chastisement that produces "the peacable fruit of righteousness."

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (II Corinthians 5:17). (Hope this helps). Ron Pinkham

#6 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

Here is the discussion thread regarding can someone lose their salvation. Good thoughts all around.

#7 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
    Fruits of the spirit
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Then "Thinker" we are on the same page as reguards salvation and renewing of the mind. I have always ascribed to...."don`t preach me a sermon, walk me one that I can see". I often see new christians being chastised for mistakes and ridiculed for not "adhereing" to the word, when they are new and inexperienced in the ways of the Kingdom. There will be a day when there will be no reason to ask.."do you know the Lord?" for all will know Him. This days is not here yet, but is on the way. I do agree with every fiber in my body that accepting Christ as saviour and accepting Him as Lord of one`s life is the correct way to go, but we must be careful with new christians to not demand all this take place immediately. I know this is not what you said, but I felt led to add on a bit here. It would be a terrible thing to turn someone away from Christ by demanding too much too soon.....producing the attitude that it is way too hard, if not impossible to live the ideal christian life at the time of the salvation experience. We all work daily to renew our minds and get them to conform to God`s will and I for one, haven`t made it yet. I~m closer than I was, but still a long way from the will on the Throne.