Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

In John 5:44 Jesus asks: “How can you believe when you accept glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the One who alone is God?” This question strikes me because I think many are people-pleasers because they haven’t yet realized God’s place for/or acceptance of them. What I mean is: God has a plan for each of us that is unique; when we understand this plan rightly, it does not matter what others think of us. I would add that many also do not think they can accept glory from God; however, glory that comes from God is not the magnification of ourselves. Instead, it is the mark of God’s approval of our path (It's His well-done faithful servant). This comes about when we are completely submitted to Him and are walking rightly according to His will. Here we also are at peace and we are content for we have discovered our purpose. At least that is what this says to me. :)
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#2 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Praise the Lord for His Glory and Wisdom! What you wrote is good solid food from the Lord. It is close to something I've been learning recently. The good works I do from myself may be alright in the sight of God but they do not compare to the works I do in the Spirit. In fact I think the rewards we get when finally in God's presence will be His works done through us and not our own accomplishments. And that's where we get our worth. And none of us need compete with the world or even other believers because we are unique and given our own specific plans by Him who loves and delights in us.

I look at my states of being as either being disciplined, given revelation, or in His Glory.

I've been well feed to today!!!!

#3 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hi Betsy!

Amen! You added an aspect I didn't see! Thanks for sharing your wisdom and confirmation!

Lori :D
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#4 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

As I read my bible study tonight I came upon a scripture that the Lord really planted in me.
This is pertaining to king Rehoboam strengthening himself and forsaking the law of the Lord. 2 Chronicles 12:14And he did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the LORD. This says so much with so few words! Now, I'm still a babe when it comes to the old testament but I take from this that it's our job to yield and ready ourselves to be vessels for the Lord to fill, and in fact it's evil when we are only concerned with ourselves. The Lord wants us totally surrendered and He will do/ has done the rest.
In other words " That is your end, this why you were created...." Blessings Bets

#5 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Wow Betsy, that’s so interesting. The Lord showed me something this morning that harmonizes with what you said. First He took me to Galatians and showed me Galatians 4:9 which speaks of knowing God and also being known by Him. Then He showed me how the Galatians had been deceived into thinking they would become more righteous if they tried to keep the Law instead. However, the Law was simply a guardian to keep them until Christ came. The Jewish people who continued to try to keep the Law instead of accepting Jesus, were on the wrong path. They were choosing flesh instead of the only Promise (Just like Isaac was the only true fulfillment). Next the Lord took me to Galatians 5:18 which says if you walk by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Then God took me to Ephesians 1:3 which states “Jesus Christ, the One having blessed us with every spiritual blessing.” Then God pointed me to Philippians 3:12 where Paul says, “not that I have been already perfected, but I pursue that I may lay hold of that which I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.” Finally God took me to Ephesians 3:18-19. Here Paul was praying that the Ephesians would come to grasp the enormity of the love of Jesus that they might be filled with the fullness of God.

What it all meant was this: we often try to do things like the Galatians to please God. We try to perfect ourselves with works etc. But the key is really to learn better how to walk in the Spirit, for Jesus has already blessed us with every spiritual blessing. The more time we spend submitting to the Spirit of God, the more He transforms us into the likeness of Jesus. We can’t do this with fleshly efforts; instead, we press into Jesus and learn better how to “know God” through the Spirit of God. When we grow closer to God in the Spirit even fleshly things like selfishness disappear; the Spirit of God will perform good works through us. So if we really want to make a difference for God, it is good for us to follow A.W. Tozer’s example and go deep into the things of God. These are blessings Jesus has already obtained for us, and we simply need to learn how to apprehend them like the apostle Paul was trying to do.

Sorry this is so long, but your words were like an echo of what God had just been showing me!! :) Blessings, Lori
  • chipped china likes this

#6 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Amen! And where two or more gather in My name, there too I shall be also. Jesus is surely speaking with us and His Love is like a warm blanket.

On earth as it is in Heaven, sister bets
  • Lori Smith likes this

#7 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

"On earth as it is in heaven!" Beautiful...Amen! His love is good indeed.

Blessings, Lori