• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

I'm on fire for the Lord, I know His Love and mercy. I know I am but filthy rags without Him. I go to the cross with Jesus, usually daily. He gently points a finger at my sin so I can yield my "soul" and He can deal with it. I look forward to eternal life with Him so I can see His face and worship in fullness without my sin nature. I know if I just trust Him, love Him and relax He will work through me. My problem is I don't seem to fit into a structured church. Even though the church I sometimes attend is wonderful, (New Life) it's not what I consider being part of the Body. I long for deep meaningful relationships with others who understand my absorption in Christ. This is where I am right now in my walk and I wish we could all understand God's love better so we could be more transparent with each other.
I guess Tozer said it best:

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

A.W. Tozer
1897-1963

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

• StevePage, elizabethcog and cathy44 like this

#2 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

I so have been feeling this but I thought something was wrong with me and I actually prayed and asked God to make me like the other people I know! these people love God and worship him too but I am always the odd ball that seems led to do the thing no one else wants to or thought of,I pray always for God to use me and show me those he knows have needs I can't just turn away and ignore them .I am so thankful for your comment and all the encouragement I get and I hope give in my daily walk with Lord our God=)
  • Lori Smith, StevePage and chipped china like this
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#3 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

You too give me encouragement. We need to keep our eyes on Him. "Be still and know I am God"
I think we both have a little ministry that the Lord gives us, not of ourselves but through Him. Blessings, your sister, Betsy
  • elizabethcog likes this

#4 Kimberley

Kimberley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Wow, can I relate to you two. It can be a lonely walk, even in a crowd. I long to know Jesus and to be used by Him, and to have a supportive church, or friendship. He has sent folks into my life (in and out) that are kindred spirits so to say. I pray He blesses you with a close friend or two who also have a tender heart towards Him. There ARE others out there who would love to share your love for Him. I suggest we all pray for this, for strong relationships where God is the soul center. (church are the people, right? ) I know He will answer that prayer. When He sends these folks into our lives, hang on to them! They are priceless relationships. Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend. Be blessed, I resonate with your concerns!!
  • StevePage and elizabethcog like this

#5 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Thank you Kimberly. Yes, I am missing a good girlfriend at the moment. I do have some wonderful believers in my life, I am very blessed. I read a book called Pagan Christianity and believe that we should be part of a small home church. It's something I have been wrestling with and praying about.
The Lord has really had me growing this last couple years, I've been through some small miracles and I'm excited and love to share what He has shown me. Honestly, I just haven't found that many people that are absorbed like I am or they are too busy. But then again it's also partly my short comings interfering with the blessing God wants to offer me. I'm working on my patience and waiting for God's timing, being content whenever He leads me.
My prayers and His Blessings to you!

#6 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thank you so much for writing this; I can relate as well! I actually have this quote thumb-tacked to my bulletin board. A terrible time in the wilderness led me to a deep encounter with God, and I am no longer satisfied with anything shallow. However, it has been hard to find others who understand. In the beginning I was hurt by rebukes from Christians who thought I was over-the-top in my love for Jesus. This led me to Tozer who seemed to be the only one I could find who understood. Eventually, I learned that it was a gift to be able to call Jesus my dearest friend. I then did what Tozer writes: "[My] inability to find human companionship drives me to seek God" with even more fervency.

As a result of my time with God, I am able to share insights with hurting people who are going through some trauma. People who are experiencing great tragedy are looking for deep answers; during these moments I can share what God has revealed to me about Himself. This is what Tozer did. Rev. James Snyder writes, "The lessons Tozer learned in worship were generously shared with all who would listen. His preaching and writing were simply the clear declarations of what he had experienced in his private sessions with God. Emerging from his prayer closet dripping with the fragrance of the Presence eager to report all he had witnessed" ("A.W. Tozer: A Heart to Worship).

Thanks again for writing! Your words are such a blessing to read.
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#7 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Amen, and I thank our Lord for His tender mercies with disciples like you and the others who have written. I am also an avid reader of Watchmen Nee, but as long as we have the Holy Spirit and the Bible our needs will be met. Blessing and prayers to you my sister!

#8 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Blessings and Prayers to you as well!

I have heard much about Watchmen Nee, but I have only read a few quotes. Since you recommend him so highly, I'll be sure to read much more! Many thanks to you. I also agree that nothing is better than the Bible and the Holy Spirit! :)
In The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer writes, "Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father. His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21)."

#9 atokasmith

atokasmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Bellevue Baptist

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Wow! It feels so good to know there are people who feel like I do, but I can't seem to find them in my local area! I wish you all lived HERE!
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV

#10 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

I noticed that all the posts in this thread are by ladies, so I thought I would add one from a male. I have experienced the very same thing in longing to be with and share the love of God with others who are serious about a deeper relationship with Him. I attend a great church, but I don`t find people there who want to explore and submerge themselves in God`s vast love and the study of it. I do plan to continue my relationship with the local church because there are precious, good, and faithful people there, but I continue to search for maybe something like a small group with similar interests in improving our knowledge and relationship with God. This walk with the Lord is a lonely place as Tozer said, but I treasure my relationship with the Father so much that I don`t mind that much anymore. I certainly hope that it doesn`t take a huge catastrophe to get people serious about their relationship, but if there is one(like I had) one had better have a close walk with Jesus and understand God`s love for them.
  • StevePage and chipped china like this

#11 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

I am so grateful that there is a forum for this deeper life discussion. I feel the same as all do here. Wish so much that there were people to relate to in this way. I really don't believe I have this deeper life...yet...Does anyone have suggestions on how to actually be still before GOD? This seems to be the very challenge at the core for me. I'm so easily distracted. My pastor doesn't counsel anyone so he sent me to a Christian counselor who suggested relaxation techniques. Hmmm. I wonder if that is biblical? Anyone here have "methods" (for a lack of a better word)??

#12 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Candice,

One thing about the body of Christ is that we are all different, and the Lord speaks to us in different ways. So, I'm not sure how to tell you to be still. I can tell you what it means for me. I read my Bible until the Lord stops me at a passage. I know He stops me because I get to a place where I can go no further; there is also an impression in my spirit that says I should meditate upon a passage. It kind of feels like time stops (in a biblical way, not an unbiblical one!). Then the Lord speaks to me as I wait--it comes through thoughts ... revelations ... or answers that I had not considered. Often I feel God's presence. I always feel God's closeness and the personality of Jesus through all of what I hear.

Hope that helps! Blessings to you!
Lori
  • Candice likes this

#13 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Lori,

Thank you for our response....yes, I can see this happening for myself sometimes too. Candice

#14 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

I just spent the last hour and a half holding my 9 month old grandson. They flew in from halfway across the country yesterday, so his clock is all off and his sleep disrupted, and he's not a happy camper right now. So instead of being able to lay him in his crib and letting him fall asleep, it required some cuddling and rocking. Now I'm not a sit still kind of guy, and as he fell asleep, I tried a couple of times to lay him down so I could get to other things...and of course, he would have none of it. It required me sitting still in order for him to be still. In that stillness, there was a closeness with him, even though he was asleep. He was still in my arms, comfortable and secure...trusting that while he slept there, all was well and nothing would happen.

"My heart is not proud, O Lord,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me."
Psalm 131:1-2

A weaned child is in his mother's lap, not because he needs something, needs to nurse...but he is there, and is stilled and quiet there simply because this is his mother where he can come and be still and quiet, in confidence and trust. Oh that we could all find that stillness and quietness with our heavenly father that this child finds with his earthly mother.

"Be still and know that I am God."

In Christ,
Travis
  • StevePage and Charles Miles like this

#15 Lori Smith

Lori Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

How beautiful Travis. I'm going to put that on my bulletin board. Thank you for sharing that blessed thought with us.

#16 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

I just spent the last hour and a half holding my 9 month old grandson...In that stillness, there was a closeness with him, even though he was asleep. He was still in my arms, comfortable and secure...trusting that while he slept there, all was well and nothing would happen...Oh that we could all find that stillness and quietness with our heavenly father that this child finds with his earthly mother.

"Be still and know that I am God."

Wow. What a fantastic word, Travis. Particularly needed by me this morning. I tend to busy myself when all I need is to be still in the Father's lap. Thank you for that reminder.