• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 designerdonna

designerdonna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi there, The Lord has recently led my family out of some deep deception that is going on in some Charismatic movements around the world, and into the CMA. We've never heard of this denomination before, but were delightfully surprised to find that the Word of God is so emphasized. Anyway, the deception that we were involved in kept us very far from the Word, and therefore far from ever developing the "Fruits of the Spirit" as evidence of Christ in us, despite the fact that we've been in and out of "Church" for many years.

I find myself now struggling to understand exactly how to develop these fruits. I understand that it is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that it is possible, but I'm not exactly sure how to work with him to achieve this. I have been flooded with many false teachings regarding what the "power of the Holy Spirit" is and how it manifests, and therefore basic concepts such as this are so difficult for me to wrap my mind around, even though I'm sure it's actually quite simple.

If someone could explain to me, specifically, how to "Walk in the Spirit" or how to develop the "Fruits of the Spirit" (All the Lord to develop them in me) I would be so very appreciative.

So like, for example: If I am finding myself being Judgmental and Criticizing one of my fellow Christians (a fruit of the flesh), what specifically would I do? I suppose that my overall goal would be to no longer do this (which I know I cannot do of my own will), and instead walk in "Love", but I don't understand how God does this work in us. I don't understand what my responsibility in this situation would be.

Thank you so much!

#2 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Donna,

You have asked a wonderful and extremely difficult question. As I read your post, my mind went to reeling with possible answers....none of which seemed to me to come close to being "correct". I sat down and read through the fruit of the Spirit verses in Galatians a couple of times, and then I had this thought pop into my head.

I have been on a similar journey. I got caught up in legalism and found myself a part of some very devicive splits in our church. It was, and is, painful to go through such times, but God has in mind who He wants us to be, and will continue to nudge us in that direction....we just have to listen, and obey. During these past months of repentance and reflection, study and devotions, one thing that has helped more han anything has been to delve deep into the Word. Find those Scriptures such as you have found, and ask God to speak to you through them,and to guide you into understanding them.

Recently, I found myself on this same subject...fruits and fruitfulness. If you have a full concordance to use (or do word searches on places such as biblegateway.com) locate each New Testament passage that deals with fruit(s), fruitfulness, etc (or whatever subject you are seeking answers to). Then prayerfully read and study those Scriptures. I'd add that you need to read them in context...not just the one or two verses, but the entire chapter, and maybe even the surrounding chapters. I've started a search on a subject, and found answers in adjacent verses from the ones I was first led to.

Fruit and fruitfulness will lead you to such things as the fruit of the Spirit, the fruit of the light, the fruits of rightousness, good and bad fruit and the trees they grow on, and being pruned and fertilized to bear fruit, and to bear much fruit.

I pray that God will lead you to a full and rich understanding, not only of this, but of Him and His Word. May you be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

#3 designerdonna

designerdonna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

Donna,

You have asked a wonderful and extremely difficult question. As I read your post, my mind went to reeling with possible answers....none of which seemed to me to come close to being "correct". I sat down and read through the fruit of the Spirit verses in Galatians a couple of times, and then I had this thought pop into my head.

I have been on a similar journey. I got caught up in legalism and found myself a part of some very devicive splits in our church. It was, and is, painful to go through such times, but God has in mind who He wants us to be, and will continue to nudge us in that direction....we just have to listen, and obey. During these past months of repentance and reflection, study and devotions, one thing that has helped more han anything has been to delve deep into the Word. Find those Scriptures such as you have found, and ask God to speak to you through them,and to guide you into understanding them.

Recently, I found myself on this same subject...fruits and fruitfulness. If you have a full concordance to use (or do word searches on places such as biblegateway.com) locate each New Testament passage that deals with fruit(s), fruitfulness, etc (or whatever subject you are seeking answers to). Then prayerfully read and study those Scriptures. I'd add that you need to read them in context...not just the one or two verses, but the entire chapter, and maybe even the surrounding chapters. I've started a search on a subject, and found answers in adjacent verses from the ones I was first led to.

Fruit and fruitfulness will lead you to such things as the fruit of the Spirit, the fruit of the light, the fruits of rightousness, good and bad fruit and the trees they grow on, and being pruned and fertilized to bear fruit, and to bear much fruit.

I pray that God will lead you to a full and rich understanding, not only of this, but of Him and His Word. May you be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Thank you so much, this all makes very much sense to me. It's only since I have been studying the Word more that I've even noticed that I'm not bearing fruit...so, in theory, the more I study the Word, the more I'll be aware of my actions (I guess?). I will say though, since I started attending the CMA about a month ago, I've had more "fruit" grow then I have in many years, and I know that is because this church/denomination is so rooted in God's Word. Someone else pointed out to me yesterday that "Walking in the Spirit" is not merely being "led" of the Spirit, but rather "doing" what the bible says and following the Holy Spirits leading in direct accordance to it. This was eye opening to me because in the past, I had been led into much error by following my emotions thinking that they were the Holy Spirit. I did not know to use the bible as a measuring stick, so to speak, for what I thought God was leading me to do.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it and I will take your advice to study big "chunks" of scripture that surround key passages. It's becoming more and more clear to me that "cherry picking" scriptures out of the bible to fit certain theologies is awfully counterproductive to the renewing of our minds.

Thanks again!

#4 Cindy Bryan

Cindy Bryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hi Donna,
Just two things came to my mind to encourage you. As I can see you are already doing, feast on the Word of God. It is living, active and nurishing to our soul in a world of depravity. As the old simple saying goes, "You are what you eat." Also, concerning being judgemental toward another believer, Ps. 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my thoughts and see if there be any grievous way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." Once I asked the Lord to reveal what was grieving the Spirit in my own life I was less apt to focus so much on other people. He is so patient with us and has a specific plan for growth and grace for each of his children. With that in mind, take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ, and pray for those around you.
Blessings in Christ

#5 Brian Elmer

Brian Elmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading/study, music, golf
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Perrysburg Alliance

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

A valid question many Christians do not 'get'. 2 Peter 1:1-11 speaks of what we have received in Christ -"everything we need for godliness". It then lists 7 things we are to add to our faith. Note that there is both our intentional effort AND dependence on the Holy Spirit. Honestly, as you have found out, we cannot achieve this on our own. We have to be in His Word, choose His ways, and ask the Holy Spirit to empower us to do so. Jim Cymbala's new book Spirit Rising does a nice job explaining and illustrating the working of the Holy Spirit in one's life. It is easier to grasp the meaning from the way he teaches it.

Also, Galatians 5 and Ephesians 1-3 speak of "walking in Him". Good places to begin in allowing the Spirit of God to transform your life.

#6 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Green Mountain Community Alliance Church

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi there, The Lord has recently led my family out of some deep deception that is going on in some Charismatic movements around the world, and into the CMA. We've never heard of this denomination before, but were delightfully surprised to find that the Word of God is so emphasized. Anyway, the deception that we were involved in kept us very far from the Word, and therefore far from ever developing the "Fruits of the Spirit" as evidence of Christ in us, despite the fact that we've been in and out of "Church" for many years.

I find myself now struggling to understand exactly how to develop these fruits. I understand that it is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that it is possible, but I'm not exactly sure how to work with him to achieve this. I have been flooded with many false teachings regarding what the "power of the Holy Spirit" is and how it manifests, and therefore basic concepts such as this are so difficult for me to wrap my mind around, even though I'm sure it's actually quite simple.

If someone could explain to me, specifically, how to "Walk in the Spirit" or how to develop the "Fruits of the Spirit" (All the Lord to develop them in me) I would be so very appreciative.

So like, for example: If I am finding myself being Judgmental and Criticizing one of my fellow Christians (a fruit of the flesh), what specifically would I do? I suppose that my overall goal would be to no longer do this (which I know I cannot do of my own will), and instead walk in "Love", but I don't understand how God does this work in us. I don't understand what my responsibility in this situation would be.

Thank you so much!

You've already received good counsel on this site, Donna, so I won't repeat what's already been said. I would add that Jesus tells us in his teaching on the Holy Spirit found in John 15-16, that the Spirit will help us to understand things when He sees we're ready. This is true also for growing in the fruits of the Spirit. Since you already hunger for the Word, and are learning what the fruits of the Spirit are & have a desire to cultivate them in your life, you're on your way. I've been a Christian for 35 years and I'm still learning, & so is every other believer, so be patient with yourself. This sanctification process is a lifelong experience, as we become more and more like Christ. Lastly, I'd point out 1 Cor. 13. Paul, in chapters 12-14, speaks of the gifts of the Spirit, & says things like, "I speak in tongues more than all of you" and "earnestly desire spiritual gifts". So the "love chapter" doesn't downplay spiritual gifts. But it does point out that, in Paul's own words, "without love, I am nothing." As you learn to more consciously cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in your life, if you operate out of love for the Lord and others, you'll be fine.

#7 Speilb

Speilb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:One of my great driving passions is that I might know Christ! I love His Holiness and desire to try it on in my life. I love His Greatness and Power and therefore I also am learning to love my weakness, smallness, and need. I love His Glory and desire that he should gift me with the experience he gave to Isaiah in the 6th chapter. I believe that God Himself is the centerpiece of a True Biblical Faith and not man. I despise the things of man and I despise my own flesh. I see that Jesus made no attempt to save the sinner's flesh, but instead gave us the opportunity to crucify it. I see worldly people as Nehemiah saw Jerusalem with its walls (created for the Honor and Glory of God but in desperate need of being re-made) and so I love God's work of restoring. I am broken over the condition of the world and desire that God uses me as Nehemiah (whose name means "The Lord Comforts") to comfort me by using me to rebuild and reestablish those in ruins.
    I love seeing God in things like genetics, nature, and in the created order of things. I love my family and have a wonderful wife and two kids.
  • I am a Layperson

• Burning Heart Christian Fellowship

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

You have gotten some great answers. I would encourage you to place great focus in your life getting to know Jesus more and more in personal ways. Marx was right about Religion being the opiate of the masses. Religion keeps us busy trying to get right with God. Christ offered us rightness with God through his death.

Deception in the church is a result of getting off center. Therefore be very suspicious of religion and focus on bathing yourself in Christ. Talk to him daily. Pray with an open Bible and Read your Bible with an open prayer. The Holy Spirit loves to talk to us about the Bible so invite him to speak and ask Him questions (He is the spirit of truth that guides us into all truth -See John 16)

The fruit of the Spirit cannot be produced by us in any real and significant way. If we could produce it; it wouldn't be the fruit of the Spirit, instead we would have to label it something like the "the fruit of the flesh", or "the fruit of my labor".

When I see an area where the fruit of the Spirit is not growing. Often my first reaction is to try to fix it by myself. This of course leads me to failure. Failure tends to bring me to the realization I cannot produce the Fruit of the Spirit. After this realization I often end up confessing I cannot do it and begging for his fortiv help. I also refocus myself on worship and quiet time with the Lord. It is my connection with Christ that allows me to produce fruit. Christ is after-all the vine and we are the branches. Apart from what we receive from the vine we cannot do or produce anything. However as a channel of the vine I have more then enough to not only stay green but also to see fruit swell up all over.

As for the specific example of being judgmental. You have already recognized that it doesn't belong, and that it must be put to death. Those are great first steps. The next thing is to bask in Christ specifically giving attention to the areas that are incompatible with your struggle. Therefore I would spend much time in adoration and worship of Jesus. There is nothing like true worship that produces in us appropriate smallness and humility. I would also study Grace. The more you understand how lavish God is with His Grace towards you the less judgmental you will be. I also would pray that God would give you eyes to see not only the sin in others but a vision of what He created them to be. I would then start praying for God's desires for them would be met. It is important to note that bad fruit is a part of a larger problem. Watchman Nee says that we are completely incapable of removing the fruit of the flesh. Instead we must put an ax to the tree that produces the bad fruit. If we crucify the flesh daily we will also be putting to death the fruit that it produces. Finally, recognize that Christianity has always been a religion for the small and insignificant. Jesus himself didn't reach those who had ideas that they could be righteous on their own. Rich Mullins once said that Jesus has bad tastes (by human standards) in people. This is very true (I recon the Apostle Paul would agree). Having "bad taste" in people also brings Glory to His name ("If God can transform Saul into Paul he must be all-powerful). If God's "bad taste" led to him choosing me maybe he also will have bad taste in choosing and transforming those that I find hard to love.

The book of Jonah is a very interesting book that helps greatly. God's Mercy and Grace were so evident on Jonah. God would have been more then justified in destroying Jonah for his stupidity in thinking he could run from God. Yet God miraculously brought him back to were he needed to be. God also later even provided him with a vine to grow up and give him shade. Despite this, Jonah as a recipient of God's provision, did not look on the people of Nineveh as worthy of what he had received. The story has been helpful to me in seeing myself in Jonah's folly.

May God reveal Himself more and more as you journey to Grow in Love and knowledge of Jesus Our Lord and Savior.

#8 JoAnn M

JoAnn M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thank you so much!

Though this is a difficult question overall, especially in how to cooperate with God in developing the fruit of the Spirit there is one thing that I can reply to directly. You asked what to do if you find yourself being critical of someone and to that specific question my answer is simple - repent, confess your sin and seek forgiveness from God and/or the person. I have found that nothing softens my heart and opens it to the Holy Spirit like humbling myself before God when I have messed up again! That is when I am most open to the work He wants to do in me. I may mess up again but each time I repent in humility I get closer to who God wants me to be. I hope God leads you in His word to the answer you need to find (whether or not it is the answer you think you want to find :) )