JimmyS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Visiting churches

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

I haven't written for awhile because I was feeling like I was starting to write about negative things too much. That being said I read the A.B. Simpson devotional today and I saw that he had some profound insight into the simple life with Jesus.

The devotional today was about casting our cares on Christ from 1 peter 5:7, and living in simplicity. I was just discussing all these issues that I have with the Church tonight with my friend, and realized that I have really allowed alot of junk into my life that keeps me away from fellowship with other believers. I have almost felt this responsibility to fault find all the time, and it felt as if by doing so that I was protecting myself and others from getting hurt.

Wow when I think of all the things that preoccupy my mind and the fears that so often control me, I wonder how I got to this point. The devotional reminded me that we should put our trust in the Lord and not preoccupy our minds with worry. I can really relate to the doing the "needless things," that Simpson talks about in the devotional. SO often I think that we as Christians take on more responsibility than is really required of us, and we get burnt out. Sometimes it is as if we believe that we are the ones walking out the christian life for others.

A good friend of mine told me today that "The Lord knows our situation, and the other persons, we just need to pray, be ourselves, and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit." It is not our responsibility to force anyone to follow Christ. We are not their provision. HOwever, I believe that as we humble ourselves and submit to God he will use us in what HE is doing from day to day. I think that the bottom line is really God loves us, and as we draw closer to Him the natural result is that this love pours out on others whether in word or deed, and this kind of life is simple and free.
  • Lori Smith likes this