Tami

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Elma Christian and Missionary Alliance

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

In my family there were rare instances where God and Jesus were mentioned. I wasn't brought up in any church. All I knew was which ones were the "bad" ones. When I was younger I asked my mother if I was baptized. "No. I want to you make that decision for yourself. My mom used to drag me to church and I hated it. So I decided to let you have the choice," my mom explained. So in high school I started attending Youth Group at the local CMA. A lot of my friends from school were going and I was curious.

I didn't have a good relationship with my father. So to go to church and learn that God LOVES ME was the most amazing thing to me! That Jesus died for me and that I was worth dieing for. These things I have never felt before in my life. I continued to go for as long as I could. I then moved a way to college and got lost for a while. I tried to attend the local CMA there but I felt so out of place.

Since then I have moved back home, had a baby and have the best job in the world. However I still wasn't attending church.

After finding out about my fathers illegal activities and my mother's drinking problem I had a rude awakening about my life. My family had hidden so many little secrets from me and my sister. I was the daughter of a very successful drug dealer. All I ever wanted to be was a teacher. To be a public servant and my parents were breaking the law and my heart.

So after my parents divorce and pleading with my mother to seek help for her drinking she met a man. He is 3 years younger than me and she had promised him children. She lied. She is unable to have children. This was hard to take. However she started attending the Jehovah Witness church where she started to learn about God. That didn't last long though. After several rounds of my mom disrespecting me and sending my son to the hospital I had enough.

I no longer have a relationship with my mother. I needed to make a choice: focus on my son or focus on my mom. I chose my son. My grandmother then informed me that I was going to hell for not obeying the commandment "Honor thy Father and Thy Mother." After a lot of arguing and tears I called the Pastor at my old CMA from High School. This was a knew Pastor and he didn't know me.

After a few up lifting words I decided to attend service that Sunday. Since then I haven't missed one Sunday! This has been going on for months now. (ok I missed one but I was 400 miles away for work)

So to my point: I heard God's calling. The first was to get my Aunt to attend with me. She loves the church and has been going every week. Then I heard Him again. So I now have a friend from High School who used to attend Youth Group with me going every week! Then I heard Him again. I am supposed to be a role model for my extended family. That if I would keep on the path that my family would find me and I would bring them to the church.

It happened again yesterday!! My cousin who I feel to be a very lost soul asked my Aunt, who attends with me, if she could go to church with her! Now my cousin and I have had MANY conflicts before in the past but I prayed for strength and sent her a message. I welcomed her with open arms and explained the many choices she has for classes in the church. I have been a pillar of strength since I was little and I now know why I was placed with my family.

I am to help my family to find Jesus and our Father God. And one by one I will bring them.

PRAISE JESUS!!
PRAISE GOD!!
AMEN!!

#2 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

Praise God! Thank you so much for sharing your testimony. God is good in all things and His plans are for good and not for evil, to give us a future and and a hope!

#3 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

After a few up lifting words I decided to attend service that Sunday. Since then I haven't missed one Sunday! This has been going on for months now. (ok I missed one but I was 400 miles away for work)

So to my point: I heard God's calling. The first was to get my Aunt to attend with me. She loves the church and has been going every week. Then I heard Him again. So I now have a friend from High School who used to attend Youth Group with me going every week! Then I heard Him again. I am supposed to be a role model for my extended family. That if I would keep on the path that my family would find me and I would bring them to the church.

It happened again yesterday!! My cousin who I feel to be a very lost soul asked my Aunt, who attends with me, if she could go to church with her! Now my cousin and I have had MANY conflicts before in the past but I prayed for strength and sent her a message. I welcomed her with open arms and explained the many choices she has for classes in the church. I have been a pillar of strength since I was little and I now know why I was placed with my family.

I am to help my family to find Jesus and our Father God. And one by one I will bring them.

PRAISE JESUS!!
PRAISE GOD!!
AMEN!!

Tami, your testimony is a great blessing! You remind me of the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4). She had a difficult life, but once she realized that Jesus was her Savior, not only did her life change, but she immediately told everyone she knew about Him. I will pray that God opens doors for you to witness to your family and to bring them to the Lord.

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/