The devil

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Anawa Robert Puri

Anawa Robert Puri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Listening to gospel music, keeping garden, raising chicks, designing electronics gadgets, praying alone, and chating
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Government house chapel

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

The bible says give thanks for everything. Is it wrong to give thanks for the devil?

#2 Josh Gaudreau

Josh Gaudreau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:My wife Kaye
    Church history
    Theology
    Good Books
    Board games
    Coffee with friends
    Learning to be like Jesus
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Winnipeg Chinese Alliance Church

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

The bible says give thanks for everything. Is it wrong to give thanks for the devil?

Depends on how you're giving thanks, I guess. I would give thanks that he's defeated, that Christ has victory over him, that despite his efforts he will fail and will one day bow before Christ acknowledging His lordship, and that God uses his schemes for the good of those people who love Him.

Just my thoughts off-hand. I don't think we should ever give thanks for evil, though.
Stumbling like a zombie towards the Light...

#3 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

Depends on how you're giving thanks, I guess. I would give thanks that he's defeated, that Christ has victory over him, that despite his efforts he will fail and will one day bow before Christ acknowledging His lordship, and that God uses his schemes for the good of those people who love Him.

Just my thoughts off-hand. I don't think we should ever give thanks for evil, though.

God created Lucifer as an angel of light, who then fell from heaven as Satan because of his sin of pride. God is in control of everything and every being, including Satan. The power of Satan to harm or discourage us is limited by what God allows him to do. Whatever Satan intends for evil, God turns to good, the prime example being Satan plotting to have Jesus crucified, which led to the ultimate defeat of death, sin, and the devil. I have discussed this further in a recent blog post:

http://savedbygraceb...u-too-busy.html

So we should give thanks to God for His ultimate and infinite power over Satan and all forces of evil, and for His ability to work all things together for our good (Romans 8:28).

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/
  • Anawa Robert Puri likes this

#4 michelle34

michelle34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

[quote name='Anawa Robert Puri' timestamp='1318740682' post='10027']
What has he done for you ?He is a lier ,destroyer he causes hate .Thank God he uses him for Good but not him nothing in me is thankful for evil .

#5 michelle34

michelle34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

What has he done for you ? He is a lier ,hater ,destroyer.THANK GOD he uses him for good .I dont think you should thank him for evil .Everything in me hates him .I dont thank God for evil .But I watch and pray .

#6 Mark Wood

Mark Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • I am a Missionary

• Nikdovnihan

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

Which verse specifically are you referring to? For instance 1 Thess 5:18 talks about all circumstances, not all things.

#7 Ruthie Hankins

Ruthie Hankins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • I am a National Office Worker

• HarvestDowntown

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

Which verse specifically are you referring to? For instance 1 Thess 5:18 talks about all circumstances, not all things.

I was thinking the same thing--in everything give thanks, not for everything. There is a big difference.

#8 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing--in everything give thanks, not for everything. There is a big difference.

The KJV 1 Thess 5:18 is "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I believe it has 2 meanings: 1) it is God's will that we be thankful in all circumstances and for all things, and 2) that we have reason to be thankful in all circumstances and for all things, because we have faith that He has allowed those circumstances and things in our life to work together for our good (Romans 8:28), as part of His perfect will for our lives.

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/

#9 JimmyS

JimmyS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Visiting churches

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

What I clearly see is that if we continually make rules for ourselves such as "well the bible says be thankful in everything, I better be thankful for the devil,"(This is hypothetical not at all meaning this is what you are saying) that we will get very confused. In fact if we do not go beyond semantics and see the living relationship with Christ(yes as clearly marked out in the bible, I am not against the bible)instead of law we will be very confused and find ourselves grasping to attain things that were never meant to be sought after, and failing to grasp the things that we should.

What I mean is principles with out a relationship with Christ does not cover the gray areas of our lives. We need the direction of the Holy Spirit. So in just reading be thankful for all things if this was an end in and of its self then we would be thankful for the Devil, that is if thankfulness in and of itself were saving us. However, Paul saying "be thankful in all things" does not mean you deny that you don't like the situation you are in, and it does not mean that we thank God for the devil. I don't see how we could ever genuinely be thankful for the devil. God will not violate what He has already said Satan is the enemy of God and opposed to everything pure, loving, and holy. Satan is our enemy. I think being "thankful in all things," is knowing that God will work all things out for our good," not just thankfulness for the sake of being thankful.