Tammi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Church Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Faith Baptist

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

I just happened to find this web site and am so glad. . because when I read today's devotional about being a mediocre Christian, it really opened my eyes.

Who am I to think that God's work requires that I feel secure, safe and convenient? Seems like when He is taking me to a new level in my walk with Him, I usually feel as if things around me are falling apart. . circumstances are usually stormy and dark. Instead of feeling safe, I am feeling shaken.

Could it be that this is the process to loose me of the unnecessary things in my life? Sometimes when times are stormy, and circumstances are beyond comprehension, if we're not careful, we can lose focus, and feel as if we have "nothing to live for." "Why keep going?" BEWARE! This is a trick of the enemy. But just yesterday, when I asked this question, the LORD heard me, and He gently replied, "You are not to live for any THING, but for ME." So it's not what am I living for? BUT Whom am I living for? Am I living for self, or to please others? OR am I living for HIM?

If I am living for HIM, I can be assured that circumstances will be stormy at times. . . this is to test and try my faith. And thankfully He is going to make my faith in Him stronger through the trials...if only I'll just yield to His guidance and tender loving care.

#2 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Tammi,

First of all, welcome to the Deeper Life Forum. This place has an abundance of wonderful people willing to share and support each other. I believe you will find yourself here often, as do I.

I love what you wrote, and I can understand how and why you feel this way. I think we all do, and do so more often than we want to admit to ourselves. I want to think that everything is coming up roses, and ignore the thorns...and the storms, and pretend that neither exists or can happen to me. Of course, I know the reality of it, but I still find myself shocked when I get caught in yet another storm.

I'd like to share a couple of verses, and then try and show how the got tied together for me, and how they help me.

The first is Acts 27:13-17 "13 When a gentle south wind began to blow, they saw their opportunity; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete. 14 Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the Northeaster, swept down from the island. 15 The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along. 16 As we passed to the lee of a small island called Cauda, we were hardly able to make the lifeboat secure, 17 so the men hoisted it aboard. Then they passed ropes under the ship itself to hold it together."

The second is Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

There is the storm that shipwrecked Paul and his shipmates on the way to Rome. It started when they decided that conditions were favorable to put to sea and then suddenly they were in the midst of a hurricane and being driven by it. How that describes times in my life. Things looked "right" and a decision was made, and then things went wrong, and it was all I could do to keep my head above water and be driven along by circumstances.

What ties these two verses together is a single Greek word. This word only appears twice in the New Testament, and those two times are in these passages. The word is "boetheia". In the verse from Hebrews, it is the word "help". We go with confidence to the throne of grace to receive "boetheia" or help in our times of need.

This same word in the Acts reading is the word "ropes". These ropes, these "boethias" were passed around a storm driven ship to hold it together...so that it could weather even more of the storm without being torn apart.

Wow! When we are in a storm, and we fear being torn apart, we can boldly go before the Throne of Grace, and receive from God the ropes, His ropes of Love, Mercy and Grace, that will hold us together and see us through.

Peace to you this day,

#3 Cody

Cody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, studying, thinking, playing guitar, hiking and camping, old books, peace and quiet
  • I am a Layperson

• The Rock Family Worship Center

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Great insight Travis. I like that answer. It is indeed hard to remember these things though in the mist of being tossed to and fro by the storm. I find myself forgetting that reassurance when times get overwhelming and all the things of life flood your senses. However, those instances that I have remembered the comfort and peace I once felt, I can feel things calming down. It takes surrender; surrender to His will knowing that all things work for good to us who are called to the pursuit.

#4 Douglas Hautz

Douglas Hautz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Radio DJ PureFire WKTO 88.9FM
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Ormond Beach Alliance

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Travis,

I can camp on that word today...
Doug Hautz

When you and I stand together in the presence of God- knowing and seeing who He is and all that He has done in His sovereign power to move us from birth to "that Day"- we will pour out our thanks and praise to Him, joyfully doing our best to shake the rafters of heaven.