Church Signs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lonsinger

Jeff Lonsinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:I love to read in the areas of Apologetics, History (mainly the founding era and the Civil War), Leadership, Creation Science and Politics. I love to eat my wife's wonderful cooking and sit around laughing with my wife and children.
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • First Alliance Church

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

I need to point out that I am not a big fan of a church sign being anything other than informational. Otherwise they tend to be silly or trite. I do have one exception. That sign read, "Tithe if you love Jesus. Anyone can honk." I got thinking about this as I drove by a church today with this message on their marquee--"God plus one equals a majority." Even though we all understand the sentiment that even if we feel all by ourselves, if God is with us then we can persevere, etc. However, does the message displayed at this neighborhood house of worship betray a certain smallness in who they understand God to be? Or am I being overly critical?
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. A.W. Tozer

#2 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Green Mountain Community Alliance Church

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

I need to point out that I am not a big fan of a church sign being anything other than informational. Otherwise they tend to be silly or trite. I do have one exception. That sign read, "Tithe if you love Jesus. Anyone can honk." I got thinking about this as I drove by a church today with this message on their marquee--"God plus one equals a majority." Even though we all understand the sentiment that even if we feel all by ourselves, if God is with us then we can persevere, etc. However, does the message displayed at this neighborhood house of worship betray a certain smallness in who they understand God to be? Or am I being overly critical?

I see what you're saying: God plus no one actually surpasses a majority since the Bible says, , "Let God be true and every man a liar". No one else's vote, ultimately, counts. That said, I'd rather spend time on more, as you say, critical, matters rather than getting involved in other minor matters like signs. We have fellow believers being persecuted in less-free lands, abortion, sex trafficking, political corruption and other major issues we should be speaking to--not to mention a great commission to carry out. Don't sweat church signs, brother! On the lighter side, it's interesting you should bring up that topic today. I saw one myself, this one darkly humorous but a good public service reminder nonetheless. It said, "Honk if you love Jesus--text while driving if you want to meet Him!"

#3 Jeff Lonsinger

Jeff Lonsinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:I love to read in the areas of Apologetics, History (mainly the founding era and the Civil War), Leadership, Creation Science and Politics. I love to eat my wife's wonderful cooking and sit around laughing with my wife and children.
  • I am a Pastor

• First Alliance Church

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

I was toying with either not responding or simply saying a quick "lighten up." However, I realize my post may have benefited from a few emoticons strategically placed. That being the case I would hope it would be understood that I realize in the greater scheme of serious issues facing us as kingdom citizens that pondering on the thinking that might lie under a church sign in minor in comparison. Since I am fairly new in contributing on the forums and the blogs I guess I have not quite gotten the feel about what manner of conversation is normally had.
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. A.W. Tozer

#4 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

I was toying with either not responding or simply saying a quick "lighten up." However, I realize my post may have benefited from a few emoticons strategically placed. That being the case I would hope it would be understood that I realize in the greater scheme of serious issues facing us as kingdom citizens that pondering on the thinking that might lie under a church sign in minor in comparison. Since I am fairly new in contributing on the forums and the blogs I guess I have not quite gotten the feel about what manner of conversation is normally had.

In that case, I did indeed misread some of your comments, taking them too seriously. Those emoticons are definitely helpful! :)

#5 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Here is a "God says" sign. A dam holds back water it's not my name--God.

#6 Brian Elmer

Brian Elmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading/study, music, golf
  • I am a Pastor

• Perrysburg Alliance

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I agree Jeff... corny, tacky, and just totally odd things are said on church signs. To me, 99% of them just irritate those who do not know Christ. Church signs - our church cultures answer to marketing/outreach - "reaching out"... Really??? We do more of a disservice to the Lord in all that. Our God is bigger than an sign could contain. Although I have a concise, simple summary of the gospel: I Love you. Will you love Me? -God How about a novel idea? Maybe our people could live surrendered and sold out to Christ. Then maybe others will say, "they really believe in Jesus".

#7 Speilb

Speilb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:One of my great driving passions is that I might know Christ! I love His Holiness and desire to try it on in my life. I love His Greatness and Power and therefore I also am learning to love my weakness, smallness, and need. I love His Glory and desire that he should gift me with the experience he gave to Isaiah in the 6th chapter. I believe that God Himself is the centerpiece of a True Biblical Faith and not man. I despise the things of man and I despise my own flesh. I see that Jesus made no attempt to save the sinner's flesh, but instead gave us the opportunity to crucify it. I see worldly people as Nehemiah saw Jerusalem with its walls (created for the Honor and Glory of God but in desperate need of being re-made) and so I love God's work of restoring. I am broken over the condition of the world and desire that God uses me as Nehemiah (whose name means "The Lord Comforts") to comfort me by using me to rebuild and reestablish those in ruins.
    I love seeing God in things like genetics, nature, and in the created order of things. I love my family and have a wonderful wife and two kids.
  • I am a Layperson

• Burning Heart Christian Fellowship

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

A sign is significant. It gives a one line message to the community. If your message is "Don't make me come down there -God" (A sign I have seen) you are giving the community a bad view of God. Every thing we say and do reflects Christ; we should take that very seriously.
  • Charles Miles likes this

#8 Rob Jeffrey

Rob Jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Atascosa Christian Fellowship

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

While I am not a fan of corny puns on church signs I wonder about a sign I saw recently. It said, "By his stripes we are healed." Is.53:5. For me as a believer that sign speaks volumes but I wondered how the unchurched would see that sign. I tried to put myself in the shoes of an unbeliever and I could not make sense of it.
"A non-praying preacher and a non-praying Church may flourish outwardly and advance in many aspects of their life. Both preacher and church may become synonyms for success, but unless it rest on a praying basis all success will eventually crumble into deadened life and ultimate decay."
E.M. Bounds

#9 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

While I am not a fan of corny puns on church signs I wonder about a sign I saw recently. It said, "By his stripes we are healed." Is.53:5. For me as a believer that sign speaks volumes but I wondered how the unchurched would see that sign. I tried to put myself in the shoes of an unbeliever and I could not make sense of it.

Good point, Rob. I had an exercise in seminary which made a lasting impression on me. One of my professors had us each take a gospel tract & underline in red pencil anything we felt an unchurched non-Christian would fail to understand. Most of my tract was underlined, between abbreviated Scripture references, King James English and the jargon used. I do occasionally share a tract, but only if it passes the red pencil test easily, & try to keep the same test in mind when I share my faith.

#10 JoAnn M

JoAnn M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I agree that church signs can often send the wrong message. I have so often driven past one that simply made me cringe. The Church's attempt to buy into the wordly way of communicating with supposedly funny oneliners is more often going to drive people away not bring them in.We are to be a light to the world not like the world and people who are open to God and/or seeking truly want the church to be different. People want to find an answer to the mess of this world and they are looking to the church to be different to show that there is something more than the nothingness this world propogates. I won't tell others what they should or should put on their signs but I think it should be either information or scripture. No matter how witty a phrase we think we have come up with it can't touch the power of God's word, Isaiah 55:11 says it best "so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty,but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

As for this being an unimportant topic, I disagree. How often did Jesus stop to do something that seemed small or irrelevant? I don't think anything is too small or too large in God's kingdom for His people to think about. And the image that the church projects to the world around it is not an irrelevant thing at all. How many people have seen silly or ridiculous signs and decided that church wasn't for them if that is what it is about?
We are to do all things to the glory of God, whether it is helping the starving, rescuing those in need or speaking to the world around us. I think that the idea that a church sign doesn't mean anything is part of what led to the garbage that is on the signs today. After all, if a sign is unimportant than who cares what we put on it. Stick to God's word, it is powerful and will never return void. That is my opinion.

#11 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I agree with you JoAnn, and Jeff you do get it. I think those signs say a lot more than the good intention that was meant. To be quite honest I don't think tithing to the church building is even biblical under the new Covenant. Everything I own belongs to God and if He wants it then it's His. The real church is the Body of Christ with Jesus as the Head ministering through each of us in whatever way He has chosen.

#12 soaringeagle

soaringeagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bedford Church of the CMA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Everything we do should be for the bringing glory to God! If your sign does not then why would you advertise anything else?