• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Family,Outdoors, Gardening, Birds,
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • St. Matthew Lutheran Church

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

I am curious to know more about the Doctinal Teaching called Entire Sanctification. Could someone give their "take " on it? Also is it a teaching held by Alliance Churches today? Lutherans seem to avoid talking of Sanctification in general and I think they would run in the opposite direction of Entire Sanctification if it is what I think it is. Need a little more understanding here.
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Here is what The Alliance teaches about sanctification:

http://www.cmallianc...iefs/sanctifier

I have never heard that the C&MA teaches the doctrine of entire sanctificaiton; I believe this doctrine is taught in the Church of the Nazarene. In my 10 years working at the U.S. C&MA National Office editing and helping to develop content for Alliance resources, I have never heard or seen the doctrine of entire sanctification referred to anywhere in the C&MA. Perhaps there are others who can shed more light on what the official Alliance position is on this topic.

#3 Revdavid

Revdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Here is what The Alliance teaches about sanctification:

http://www.cmallianc...iefs/sanctifier

I have never heard that the C&MA teaches the doctrine of entire sanctificaiton; I believe this doctrine is taught in the Church of the Nazarene. In my 10 years working at the U.S. C&MA National Office editing and helping to develop content for Alliance resources, I have never heard or seen the doctrine of entire sanctification referred to anywhere in the C&MA. Perhaps there are others who can shed more light on what the official Alliance position is on this topic.

Thank you Julie. I will carefully read what is in the link. I'm increasingly interested in the teachings of the C&MA. Dr. Tozer and Dr. simpson are some of my most favorite authors.I'm still a Lutheran Pastor but very interested in applying the C&MA's teachings, especially on the Holy Spirit in my work and church!
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David

#4 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

This is from the Nazarene Church Articles of Faith. http://www.nazarene....es/display.aspx

X. Christian Holiness and Entire Sanctification*

13. We believe that [entire] sanctification is [that] the [act] work of God[, subsequent to regeneration, by] which transforms believers into the likeness of Christ. It is wrought by God’s grace through the Holy Spirit in initial sanctification, or regeneration (simultaneous with justification), entire sanctification, and the continued perfecting work of the Holy Spirit culminating in glorification. In glorification we are fully conformed to the image of the Son.

We believe that entire sanctification is that act of God, subsequent to regeneration, by which believers are made free from original sin, or depravity, and brought into a state of entire devotement to God, and the holy obedience of love made perfect.

It is wrought by the baptism with or infilling of the Holy Spirit, and comprehends in one experience the cleansing of the heart from sin and the abiding, indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, empowering the believer for life and service.

Entire sanctification is provided by the blood of Jesus, is wrought instantaneously by grace through faith, preceded by entire consecration; and to this work and state of grace the Holy Spirit bears witness.

This experience is also known by various terms representing its different phases, such as “Christian perfection,” “perfect love,” “heart purity,” “the baptism with or infilling of the Holy Spirit,” “the fullness of the blessing,” and “Christian holiness.”

14. We believe that there is a marked distinction between a pure heart and a mature character. The former is obtained in an instant, the result of entire sanctification; the latter is the result of growth in grace.

We believe that the grace of entire sanctification includes the divine impulse to grow in grace as a Christlike disciple. However, this impulse must be consciously nurtured, and careful attention given to the requisites and processes of spiritual development and improvement in Christlikeness of character and personality. Without such purposeful endeavor, one’s witness may be impaired and the grace itself frustrated and ultimately lost.

Participating in the means of grace, especially the fellowship, disciplines, and sacraments of the Church, believers grow in grace and in wholehearted love to God and neighbor.

(Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 36:25-27; Malachi 3:2-3; Matthew 3:11-12; Luke 3:16-17; John 7:37-39; 14:15-23; 17:6-20; Acts 1:5; 2:1-4; 15:8-9; Romans 6:11-13, 19; 8:1-4, 8-14; 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1; Galatians 2:20; 5:16-25; Ephesians 3:14-21; 5:17-18, 25-27; Philippians 3:10-15; Colossians 3:1-17; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; Hebrews 4:9-11; 10:10-17; 12:1-2; 13:12; 1 John 1:7, 9)

(“Christian perfection,” “perfect love”: Deuteronomy 30:6; Matthew 5:43-48; 22:37-40; Romans 12:9-21; 13:8-10; 1 Corinthians 13; Philippians 3:10-15; Hebrews 6:1; 1 John 4:17-18

“Heart purity”: Matthew 5:8; Acts 15:8-9; 1 Peter 1:22; 1 John 3:3

“Baptism with or infilling of the Holy Spirit”: Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 36:25-27; Malachi 3:2-3; Matthew 3:11-12; Luke 3:16-17; Acts 1:5; 2:1-4; 15:8-9

“Fullness of the blessing”: Romans 15:29

“Christian holiness”: Matthew 5:1-7:29; John 15:1-11; Romans 12:1-15:3; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Ephesians 4:17-5:20; Philippians 1:9-11; 3:12-15; Colossians 2:20-3:17; 1 Thessalonians 3:13; 4:7-8; 5:23; 2 Timothy 2:19-22; Hebrews 10:19-25; 12:14; 13:20-21; 1 Peter 1:15-16; 2 Peter 1:1-11; 3:18; Jude 20-21)

#5 George Zuber

George Zuber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Lancaster C&MA

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

Revdavid -- You can't go wrong reading Simpson & Tozer.
I suggest Simpson's book, "Wholly Sanctified." Tozer's books, "The Pursuit of God," and The Knowledge of The Holy."

#6 Revdavid

Revdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

Revdavid -- You can't go wrong reading Simpson & Tozer.
I suggest Simpson's book, "Wholly Sanctified." Tozer's books, "The Pursuit of God," and The Knowledge of The Holy."

Thank you George. I'm searching, praying and learning every day. Lot's of good Scripture there to consider. I much appreciate it.
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David

#7 Dave Dagwell

Dave Dagwell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:cycling, kayking, hiking, Bible study
  • I am a Missionary

• North Ridge

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:23 AM

Entire sanctification is also a doctrine of the Wesleyan Church. A Wesleyan pastor shared with me that when one is entirely sanctified, he/she no longer sins, but occasionally makes mistakes.

#8 StevePage

StevePage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Clinton First Wesleyan Church

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

Entire sanctification is also a doctrine of the Wesleyan Church. A Wesleyan pastor shared with me that when one is entirely sanctified, he/she no longer sins, but occasionally makes mistakes.

The Nazarenes and the Wesleyans originate from the same holiness movement in the 19th century. The Church of God and others came from that movement as well, all of these churches have their roots in the John Wesley/Methodist tradition.

Interestingly, the Wiki article about the Holiness movement also lists the Alliance as another denomination that sprang from that same movement.

The Wiki article on the Alliance states, "an emphasis on the doctrine of sanctification, which emerged from the 19th century Holiness movement. In this approach, sanctification is sometimes described as "the deeper Christian life". This teaching is similar to that of the Higher Life movement and the Keswick Convention. It is perhaps best exemplified by the writings of A. W. Tozer." But, it is Wiki so it's good to check that against other historical sources.

A Wesleyan pastor shared with me that when one is entirely sanctified, he/she no longer sins

I may be wrong but I think that most in the holiness movement would restate that and say "when one is entirely sanctified, he/she no longer has the desire to sin, because the heart has been changed by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit."

There is a book called "In Search of Sanctification", by Dr. Marlin R. Hotle, that explains almost all of the views on sanctification. It's a short, informative and easy to read book.

#9 StevePage

StevePage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Clinton First Wesleyan Church

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

I pulled my copy of Dr Hotle's book out, here is a quote from it.

The term sanctification when used in Holiness circles refers to the full process of becoming and remaining a Christian. More specifically, it involves a second instantaneous work of grace (note: this refers to entire sanctification.) in which we finally submit ourselves completely to God and are cleansed by His Holy Spirit. Here is where the idea of perfection comes in. With this cleansing, our desires are made right and we desire to be like Christ. We will no longer desire to sin because the sinful nature has been cleansed. pg 46 "In Search of Sanctification", by Dr. Marlin R. Hotle

#10 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

Sin is the state of the heart where we place our own judgment of a person, an event or circumstance, God's truth or anything else as being more valid or valuable than God's own judgment. The various sins (to lie, steal, cheat, etc) themselves are the the outpouring of this state of the heart. As we seek God and learn to walk by the Spirit, we begin to learn that God can be trusted. We begin to learn that as we walk by the Spirit, God will reveal Himself, His will and his ways to us. Sanctification is the process where as we walk by the Spirit, it becomes ingrained into our lives in such a way where we place more value in God's judgment and in God's will than in our own. The more it becomes ingrained, the less desire or reason we have to choose anything other than God's will and His way for our lives. The idea of entire sanctification would mean that we are relinquishing more and more of the rights that we hold on our lives and instead are placing these areas into God's hands to change and to transform. The catch is that when we try to change of our own accord, it is bound to fail. Through our own efforts, we may modify our actions, but real change has to happen in our hearts. That is something that only God can do. As we relinquish areas of our lives to God, seeking Him and walking by the Spirit, the Holy Spirit will change our hearts and our hearts desires. As our hearts change, those changes will in turn begin to filter through our choices, our actions and through our lives.

I know this isn't quite on subject of the original question, but it seems that this is a more spiritually healthy understanding of entire sanctification. It is a case where if we can let God show us the truth that lays hidden in the midst of the lie, we can get more at the heart of God and His will for our lives. Ultimately, sanctification at any level requires us to seek and in time to come to know the Holy Spirit and to let the Spirit guide our steps moment-by-moment, day-by-day. That is how we get started on the path of sanctification and building a relationship with God, and is the momentum that keeps us on the path and continually moving closer and closer to God.
  • ThisIsNotMyHome likes this

#11 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Ultimately, sanctification at any level requires us to seek and in time to come to know the Holy Spirit and to let the Spirit guide our steps moment-by-moment, day-by-day. That is how we get started on the path of sanctification and building a relationship with God, and is the momentum that keeps us on the path and continually moving closer and closer to God.

Nicely put, Jay. I think I'm understanding you to say that sanctification = the path of relationship with God through a reliance on His Holy Spirit. Is that correct? And if so, this is your take on the initial question regarding a definition of Entire Sanctification.

I grew up in the United Methodist tradition and actually knew some old time "Shoutin' Methodists" who spoke of the holiness movements that are referenced in the threads. They lived in such a way as to continually point me to relationship with God through Jesus as empowered by His Holy Spirit; a legacy of a life well lived that has shaped who I am in Christ.

Just wanting to make sure I'm hearing it all right, as I tend to see sanctification that way as well.

#12 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

That is exactly what I was saying. As we seek God and rely on the Holy Spirit's guidance God will draw us to him and purify (sanctify) our lives. The cool part about it is that God can see all the circumstances of our lives and through His Spirit He will guide us on a very specialized path that is created just for us. This path incorporates each one of our choices, good or bad. And even if we should fall away, He will use those circumstances and consequences to draw us back to Him and to get us back on course. Sometimes our choices force certain doors to close, but He can always find alternate routes to get us to where He needs us to be, as long as we continue to seek Him and let Him guide us through the Holy Spirit.

#13 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

The cool part about it is that God can see all the circumstances of our lives and through His Spirit He will guide us on a very specialized path that is created just for us. This path incorporates each one of our choices, good or bad. And even if we should fall away, He will use those circumstances and consequences to draw us back to Him and to get us back on course. Sometimes our choices force certain doors to close, but He can always find alternate routes to get us to where He needs us to be, as long as we continue to seek Him and let Him guide us through the Holy Spirit.

You mention very specialized path created just for us. To what are you referring? Scripture as verified through an internal Witness of the Holy Spirit? How do you see the revelation of God's path shown to each of those that seek him? Anyone else care to weigh in on how The Alliance teaches or deals with this topic?

#14 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

Marvin Harrell said: “You mention very specialized path created just for us. To what are you referring? Scripture as verified through an internal Witness of the Holy Spirit? How do you see the revelation of God's path shown to each of those that seek him? Anyone else care to weigh in on how The Alliance teaches or deals with this topic?”

I saw this post shortly before I started work and have been thinking and praying off and on about how I can even address this topic. The conclusion that I came to was that without knowing what someone believes when it comes to how the Holy Spirit speaks to us as believers, how would I even know where to start in trying to explain.

Imagine trying to explain something like gravity or the rotation of the earth around the sun to someone who believes that the earth is flat and if you sail too far in one direction, you will fall off the edge of the earth into oblivion. In like manner, different believers have different concepts and understandings of how the Holy Spirit communicates with us and what it means to walk by the Spirit. Some people don’t believe that the Holy Spirit communicates with us at all. They see it as being a gift that God gave to the apostles at Pentecost for the creation of the church, then took it away shortly after. Others believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to us through a still small voice like how God spoke to Elijah in 1 Kings 19.

I not only believe that God speaks to us personally, but I know it through experience. The problem is that it is one of those things that can be hard to accept unless you have experienced it yourself, know people who know the Spirit’s voice and you have been close enough to witness the impact it has had on their lives, or have accepted it by faith as being true.

I believe that learning to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit starts with the knowledge and acceptance that God loves us, wants to be in a relationship with us and as part of that relationship, He wants to speak to us personally through His Spirit. We also need to accept by faith that at this very moment, the Holy Spirit is trying to tell us something and if we listen we can hear and understand what the Spirit is trying to tell us. Most of the time it is not an audible voice. Instead there will be a knowing in our heart of hearts and if we yield to that knowing, it will quite often translate to a thought or idea. It is not something that can be forced. Instead the more we humble ourselves before God and let go of the cares of this world, the clearer the message will become. The things of the flesh like our worries, fears, doubts, anger, unforgiveness, and the need to hang onto our own understanding or judgment tends to block our abilities to hear the Spirit’s voice.

One of my first encounters with hearing the Holy Spirit’s voice was at a home bible study that I attended close to fifteen years ago. The leader of the bible study would choose a book of the bible and start reading slowly through the book. The object wasn’t to pick the scriptures apart or try to interpret what was being said, but instead to simply listen to what the Holy Spirit was speaking through the passage. As something popped out to one of us, we would stop and that person would share what they felt the Holy Spirit was showing them. Sometimes after they shared we would just keep on going, but other times one thing would lead to another and another. In all my years as a believer, that was one of the most real bible studies I have been a part of.

God speaks to us in different ways, at different times and He speaks to each one of us differently. There is something really cool and so very precious when we remove our flesh from the picture and let the Holy Spirit speak and move freely in our lives.

As we get quiet before God and lay our fears, worries and troubles at His feet, quite often He will speak to us, through His Spirit, giving us guidance and instruction in how to take the next step on the path that we are on. Sometimes He will use scripture. Sometimes He will use an outside influence like a scene in a movie, something that someone says or a poster on a wall. But many times God will just speak to our hearts and give us a knowing of His will and how He would have us to take the next step.

Does hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to our hearts make any real sense? Most of the time not, but like the bible says, “God will use the foolish things to confound the ways of the wise.” Ultimately God leaves us with a choice. We can accept by faith that God wants to speak to us in a real and personal way or we can reject the whole notion as foolishness. If we are willing to accept it, then we need to take the time to get alone with God, seek His face and ask that He would teach us how to hear and know His voice, the voice of the Holy Spirit.
  • chipped china likes this

#15 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German Lutheran pastor and theologian was executed by hanging on April 23, 1945. His crime was his involvement in plans by the German Military Intelligence Office to assassinate Adolf Hitler. As a pastor and a Christian, he believed that it was his right and his duty to fight against Hitler’s tyranny to aid all those being persecuted and slaughtered.

As this was happening, Mennonites, along with many other Christians, choose to conscientiously object to fighting in World War II. They saw the need in Germany and in the rest of Europe, but due to their convictions and how they interpreted their role through scripture, they chose not to fight, but instead to find other roles to play.

In both cases we see believers following their convictions and the roles that God was leading them to play in World War II. Their views and how they chose to act on them, were diametrically opposed, yet can we say that one was more in God’s will or accurately interpreting scripture more than the other?

God works in us and through us according to the truths that we accept or reject. He will not force us down a road that we are not willing to go down or make us believe something that we are not ready to believe. Instead He uses us where we are and where we will allow Him to.

As believers, we are all part of the same body. That doesn’t mean that we are always going to agree on what God’s truth is and what it’s not. It doesn’t mean that we are all going to interpret scripture in all the same ways. It also doesn’t mean that we are going to choose to live out our faith in one unified form, but what it does mean is that in the midst of our differences, we are to learn to work together as a singular cohesive whole. We can each play the role that God lays before us without feeling the need that we all conform to one particular way of viewing God or living out our relationship with Him.

That is one of the neat things about the CM&A, at least as originally envisioned by A. B. Simpson. It was a “big-tent” missionary sending organization that was more concerned with sending missionaries to all parts of the world with the Gospel, than it was with the petty differences that tend to divide churches and denominations.

That very idea is also at the heart of the Gospel and God’s Word. He speaks to each one of us individually, giving us direction and guidance according to our needs, the truth that we are willing to accept for ourselves and the place where God needs us to be so He can use us to accomplish His will for our lives and in His greater plans. God’s main concern is that we seek Him first and let Him show us the paths that we should take.

#16 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

Marvin Harrell said: “You mention very specialized path created just for us. To what are you referring? Scripture as verified through an internal Witness of the Holy Spirit? How do you see the revelation of God's path shown to each of those that seek him? Anyone else care to weigh in on how The Alliance teaches or deals with this topic?”

...I not only believe that God speaks to us personally, but I know it through experience. The problem is that it is one of those things that can be hard to accept unless you have experienced it yourself, know people who know the Spirit’s voice and you have been close enough to witness the impact it has had on their lives, or have accepted it by faith as being true.

That's what I was looking for in my question. I was hoping to see how you interpreted the path and as I've read further find my heart in agreement with yours.

I believe that learning to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit starts with the knowledge and acceptance that God loves us, wants to be in a relationship with us and as part of that relationship, He wants to speak to us personally through His Spirit. We also need to accept by faith that at this very moment, the Holy Spirit is trying to tell us something and if we listen we can hear and understand what the Spirit is trying to tell us. Most of the time it is not an audible voice. Instead there will be a knowing in our heart of hearts and if we yield to that knowing, it will quite often translate to a thought or idea. It is not something that can be forced. Instead the more we humble ourselves before God and let go of the cares of this world, the clearer the message will become. The things of the flesh like our worries, fears, doubts, anger, unforgiveness, and the need to hang onto our own understanding or judgment tends to block our abilities to hear the Spirit’s voice.

Again, agreed. I believe scripture is packed with examples of God speaking to mankind through the inward knowing. I also know that my own experience has shown that knowing God's word gives voice in many ways to what God is desiring to speak to my heart. The Psalms, for example, often come to my heart during a moment I'm needing the hear God in a troubling situation. There are also the "whispers" as noted by Bil Hybles in his newest book.

One of my first encounters with hearing the Holy Spirit’s voice was at a home bible study that I attended close to fifteen years ago. The leader of the bible study would choose a book of the bible and start reading slowly through the book. The object wasn’t to pick the scriptures apart or try to interpret what was being said, but instead to simply listen to what the Holy Spirit was speaking through the passage. As something popped out to one of us, we would stop and that person would share what they felt the Holy Spirit was showing them. Sometimes after they shared we would just keep on going, but other times one thing would lead to another and another. In all my years as a believer, that was one of the most real bible studies I have been a part of.

That is beautiful, Jay. I've understood this practice as Lexio Divina, a practice and form that I've also had the joy of experiencing. Especially in a group setting, God uses the scripture to be the starting point of discerning His will and teaching in a given time. Truly precious times for me as well!

God speaks to us in different ways, at different times and He speaks to each one of us differently. There is something really cool and so very precious when we remove our flesh from the picture and let the Holy Spirit speak and move freely in our lives.

As we get quiet before God and lay our fears, worries and troubles at His feet, quite often He will speak to us, through His Spirit, giving us guidance and instruction in how to take the next step on the path that we are on. Sometimes He will use scripture. Sometimes He will use an outside influence like a scene in a movie, something that someone says or a poster on a wall. But many times God will just speak to our hearts and give us a knowing of His will and how He would have us to take the next step.

Does hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to our hearts make any real sense? Most of the time not, but like the bible says, “God will use the foolish things to confound the ways of the wise.” Ultimately God leaves us with a choice. We can accept by faith that God wants to speak to us in a real and personal way or we can reject the whole notion as foolishness. If we are willing to accept it, then we need to take the time to get alone with God, seek His face and ask that He would teach us how to hear and know His voice, the voice of the Holy Spirit.

And to pull it back to the original topic, sanctification is the path on which we learn to draw close to God through the nudging of His Holy Spirit. I think the question of Entire Sanctification and The Alliance perspective on it has been covered with the original point from Julie and the link to the Jesus our Sanctifier page.

#17 Revdavid

Revdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

Thank you to everyone. I never expected things to get this deep. No matter how deep we get though, the Holy Spirit is so much deeper!
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David

#18 Peasetown

Peasetown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • I am a Church Worker

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

As far as the Christian and Missionary Alliance is concerned, we have always held to the doctrine of "entire sanctification" - yet from a somewhat uniquely Alliance perspective. The Alliance has always taught/experienced a subsequent encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ after conversion when a believer "fully surrenders" and receives/welcomes the fulness/infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit. From the time A.B. Simpson received the "fulness of the blessing", to the birth of the C.and M. A., through the campmeetings/conventions/conferences -- up to the present, we have heralded Christ as our Sanctifier. At the 1906 Alliance Conference on Truth and Testimony, the foundational understanding of "entire sanctification" was set forth.

In the C.&M.A. we neither teach "suppressionism" (i.e., counteraction of the old man; Keswick teaching; etc...) not do we teach "eradicationism" (i.e., extreme traditional Wesleyan teaching; so-called "sinless perfection") We proclaim "emancipation by habitation" -- the fulness of the indwelling Christ fills and cleanses us from the domination/control of "self-centeredness". We enter into this life at the point of crisis sanctification/infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit - yet we must walk in the Spirit form that point onward in order to progress in holiness and further refinement/maturity. Other than the Word of God, books by Simpson, Tozer, Gesswein, Pardington, McGraw and King will give a person an overview of the Alliance perspective on "entire sanctification" and deeper ministry of the Holy Spirit.

During the last 15-20 years, there has been a renewed emphasis on the Alliance "deeper life" procalmation and experience. Many individual have mistakenly been taught that the C.&M.A. has been all about missions, yet in reality our outreach has been the result/outflow of our teaching and relationship with Christ our Sanctifier; this was MUCH more foundational to Simpson (and others). When souls have been baptized with the Holy Spirit; when their entire being is being dominated by the Sanctifier...then evangelism. outreach and ministry will naturally result. Again- this teaching is having a new anointing - along with meetings such as the "Rekindle the Flame" gatherings held across the USA.

Be blessed. IF you (or anyone else) has not yet come to the end of themselves (as a believer) -- and caught a glimpse of the fulness and sufficiency that Christ has for you by His Spirit -- today you can "launch out" into the deep!

#19 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Green Mountain Community Alliance Church

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

As far as the Christian and Missionary Alliance is concerned, we have always held to the doctrine of "entire sanctification" - yet from a somewhat uniquely Alliance perspective. The Alliance has always taught/experienced a subsequent encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ after conversion when a believer "fully surrenders" and receives/welcomes the fulness/infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit. From the time A.B. Simpson received the "fulness of the blessing", to the birth of the C.and M. A., through the campmeetings/conventions/conferences -- up to the present, we have heralded Christ as our Sanctifier. At the 1906 Alliance Conference on Truth and Testimony, the foundational understanding of "entire sanctification" was set forth.

In the C.&M.A. we neither teach "suppressionism" (i.e., counteraction of the old man; Keswick teaching; etc...) not do we teach "eradicationism" (i.e., extreme traditional Wesleyan teaching; so-called "sinless perfection") We proclaim "emancipation by habitation" -- the fulness of the indwelling Christ fills and cleanses us from the domination/control of "self-centeredness". We enter into this life at the point of crisis sanctification/infilling/baptism of the Holy Spirit - yet we must walk in the Spirit form that point onward in order to progress in holiness and further refinement/maturity. Other than the Word of God, books by Simpson, Tozer, Gesswein, Pardington, McGraw and King will give a person an overview of the Alliance perspective on "entire sanctification" and deeper ministry of the Holy Spirit.

During the last 15-20 years, there has been a renewed emphasis on the Alliance "deeper life" procalmation and experience. Many individual have mistakenly been taught that the C.&M.A. has been all about missions, yet in reality our outreach has been the result/outflow of our teaching and relationship with Christ our Sanctifier; this was MUCH more foundational to Simpson (and others). When souls have been baptized with the Holy Spirit; when their entire being is being dominated by the Sanctifier...then evangelism. outreach and ministry will naturally result. Again- this teaching is having a new anointing - along with meetings such as the "Rekindle the Flame" gatherings held across the USA.

Be blessed. IF you (or anyone else) has not yet come to the end of themselves (as a believer) -- and caught a glimpse of the fulness and sufficiency that Christ has for you by His Spirit -- today you can "launch out" into the deep!

Well said, brother! I first came into contact with the Alliance position on sanctification in my late teens. I wasn't a part of the Alliance yet, but two close older friends, one of whom was a leader in the C&MA for many years, gave me a book, The Best of A.W. Tozer. I wish I had it handy so I could add the full quotation, but it was from a sermon Tozer gave on the Holy Spirit. He said that being wholly sanctified takes a holy dissatisfaction with your life as it is, a feeling that there must be more, that there are depths of holiness you haven't yet experienced and can no longer live without. I underlined that passage and have re-read it many times over the last 30 years.

#20 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

Well said, brother! I first came into contact with the Alliance position on sanctification in my late teens. I wasn't a part of the Alliance yet, but two close older friends, one of whom was a leader in the C&MA for many years, gave me a book, The Best of A.W. Tozer. I wish I had it handy so I could add the full quotation, but it was from a sermon Tozer gave on the Holy Spirit. He said that being wholly sanctified takes a holy dissatisfaction with your life as it is, a feeling that there must be more, that there are depths of holiness you haven't yet experienced and can no longer live without. I underlined that passage and have re-read it many times over the last 30 years.

I like that quote. It seems that what He is saying is that the Holy Spirit will give us a "Holy Thirst", to drive us into a deeper relationship with God. The more we seek God, the more we will become dependent upon the Spirit working in and through our lives. Romans 8.13 says, For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. When you think about it, this "holy dissatisfaction" that Tozer is talking about is a gift of grace. It is God giving us the power to seek Him and push past our shallow nature into the depths of living by the Spirit. The more we live and walk by the Spirit, the less of a hold our fleshly nature has on us. This "holy dissatisfaction" is sort of like holy birth pangs. They help push us into our new birth. Like John 3.6 says, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."