Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

God speaks to each of us in slightly different ways. What are some ways that He speaks to you and are there any "methods" you use to discern His voice?

#2 RuthAnn Nicholls

RuthAnn Nicholls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Upper St Clair Alliance Church

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

God speaks to each of us in slightly different ways. What are some ways that He speaks to you and are there any "methods" you use to discern His voice?

I pray and then I read the Bible. I'm reading the Gospel of John right now.

I want to live my life so that every morning
when I wake up Satan says, "Oh, no! She's awake!

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have sensed God speaking to me through His written Word and through mature Christians (the Body of Christ). As far as "methods" go, when I need discernment, I ask the Holy Spirit to give me confirmation through the Scriptures or through other believers I can trust. On rare occasions, I have sensed God speaking to me in an inner "voice" that seemed to be coming from inside my head. This usualy happened in an extremely urgent situation when my life was in danger (one example that comes to mind is when I was sitting at a traffic light that had just turned green, and I heard the words, "Don't go" inside my head. I waited, and another car ran the red the light. I was about to go again, and I heard the same voice say, "Don't go." A second car ran the light; both cars would have broadsided me if I hadn't listened to that voice). For the most part, however, I rely on prayer, the Bible, and the Body of Christ to discern God's voice. I also think it's important to test the spirits when we think we have heard from God in ways other than through the Bible or members of His Body (such as in dreams, visions, or an audible voice), because it's too easy to be deceived by the enemy. For instance, when Joseph Smith founded the Mormon Church, he believed he'd had a vision from God. Mohammad claimed that an angel appeared to him. I am not saying that Christians can't have dreams and visions (the Bible says that in the last days, believers will see dreams and visions); I am just stressing the importance of testing those kinds of revelations.

#4 Revdavid

Revdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Family,Outdoors, Gardening, Birds,
  • I am a Pastor

• St. Matthew Lutheran Church

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Primarily He speaks through the Bible; but to my "inner man". Hard to describe but like a tuning fork--- my spirit harmonizes with the Word that's there. Other in tune Christian Authors like AW Tozer, Oswald Chambers,
Simpson. Sometimes he draws my attention to things and explains in my spirit what He wants me to understand. For example: on a walk last early Spring my attention was drawn to a toad who had come out in the snow; because the sun was bright and warm. But he couldn't move much because well he was on the snow (which was cold); I had been impatient about how long some things were taking at church for growth. He "spoke" to my inner man and said; it's all about timing. Come out in your time or someone else's you won't get very far. Come out in my time and you'll hop all over! Things still aren't hoppin' fast; but there's movement. Waiting on His timing: Spring is Coming!Mostly for me I just know when He's speaking inside.But it isn't as constant as I'd like! Just gotta keep listening and trusting and obeying. Like Tozer says: Trust and Obey two wings that lift the butterfly to great hieghts.Hope that helps!!! The Holy Spirit is KEY!
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David