Photo

Many Scriptural Truths; we should learn from one another!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Revdavid

Revdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Family,Outdoors, Gardening, Birds,
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • St. Matthew Lutheran Church

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I have been really appreciating lately the perspective other Christian Church bodies have from Holy Scripture.
When i attended seminiary I was taught other church teachings ; but from the perspective that only my church bodies view was correct. i'm learning that the Word of God teaches so much truth, it's amazing! I sometimes wonder why we don't spend more time appreciating one anothers views and giving glory to God for being so not bound to my puny thinking. What does anybody else think? I'd appreciate reading your thoughts on this!
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David

#2 Travis Richey

Travis Richey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Granbury Church of the Nazarene

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

I find this subject in my thoughts many, many times. I recently read a long book on the History of Christianity, and I am amazed at how messed up mankind has managed to make religion over the ages. All these differences in theology and doctrine and all the many ways people within organized churches have used them not to celebrate God, but as vehicles to further their own interests. And of course, religion has been and is politicized and finds itself so caught up in "the world" that it no longer stands apart as that "city upon the hill" and beacon of light in the darkness which it is suppossed to be.

I agree with you. Wouldn't it wonderful if Christians could gather together to celebrate what we have in common with each other, namely that we are saved and are being saved through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and set aside our petty differences of which scripture means exactly what, and what kind of music and how much should be a part of "church" and all the other things we get all worked up over.

Paul wrote the the church in Phillipi the following: "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

Take our differences to God, and allow Him to straighten us out on those matters. But let us not lose sight of our Hope and our goal, and let us never fail to live up to what we have already attained, the salvation of our soul and our deliverance from bondage to sin. May we each one press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#3 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

I sometimes wonder why we don't spend more time appreciating one anothers views and giving glory to God for being so not bound to my puny thinking.

It seems that I start valuing others views more when I stop asking who is right and who is wrong and instead start asking God, "What would you have me learn or understand in this time and place?" Reading the Bible shouldn't be about trying to gain a perfect understanding about God and His ways, but instead to let Him speak to us as He sees fit. The more we let Him speak what He wills to our hearts and we learn to listen, the stronger our relationship with Him will become. And I believe the more we focus on our relationship with Christ, the more we will begin to value each others views and the individual paths that God has us on.

There is a reason behind the term "Personal Relationship with Christ". Our relationship should be personal. God may show you a different side of Himself than He does to me and He may lead you in a totally different direction than He does me. I can't judge your relationship with God based on where He is leading me, because we have different callings on our lives, different needs and different directions that God is leading us.

The more personal I make my relationship with Him, the more I will value others relationships with God and their unique and individual perspectives.

#4 Brian Rushfeldt

Brian Rushfeldt

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

I too think we can learn as people share their facet of God's greatness.
Every time someone has a differing angle/ view/ understanding of various scripture it should be viewed as all things working together. If it is clear there is error then we should be open to correction from God or His people - for good.

Paul said something deeply important to the church - AMP:

Php 2:2 Fill up and complete my joy by living in harmony and being of the same mind and one in purpose, having the same love, being in full accord and of one harmonious mind and intention.
Php 2:3 Do nothing from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit and empty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than and superior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves].
Php 2:4 Let each of you esteem and look upon and be concerned for not [merely] his own interests, but also each for the interests of others.

The centre that binds us should be Christ and His love for us and love through us. My personal views on some of the minor points in scripture I hold because of my experience but as I have new or greater experiences my view changes - not the scripture.