Photo

What do you do when you're not feeling your faith?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Revdavid

Revdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Family,Outdoors, Gardening, Birds,
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • St. Matthew Lutheran Church

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

I am a person who is very passionate about my faith. I find that I can accomplish so much more when I'm feeling my faith than when I'm not. Does anyone else have this problem and if so; what do you do during those times you aren't feeling it so much. I know I'm a pastor and people usually are asking me these questions; but I'm searching for personal insights. Got any? I'd appreciate it
In Christ our Healer,
Pastor David

#2 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:I am married to the beauteous Karina, and have two excellent children, Timothy and Evelyn. I love science fiction, kayaking, fantasy, philosophy, theology, politics, movies, illustration, and computer graphics.
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Trinity Alliance Church

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi, Pastor David!

I would say that, for me, those times are the most critical times to retain my spiritual disciplines - reading the Bible, prayer, worship, solitude, fasting. When God feels far away, I need to stay focused on the TRUTH that He's not. My feelings don't (in those times) accord with the truth, so I need to LEAD my feelings, rather than following them. Live by the truth, and not by my emotions.

That's the theory. :) In practice, I actually too often abandon my spiritual disciplines, and feel sorry for myself, and thus prolong that period far longer than it would otherwise be, and end it with a time of deep guilt and repentance as I look at all the things my foolishness has led me into.

Blessings to you!

Pastor Denes
For those who are wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."

Visit my weblog, online art gallery, and church's website!

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

While I can definitely relate to having times of not "feeling" my faith, I have to wonder if faith is really about feelings. Having been part of the Charismatic movement for many years (and having seen both its excesses and the positive things it has to offer), I think it is problematic to put too much emphasis on feelings, emotions, or any type of human experience when dealing with matters of faith.

That being said, the Scriptures do talk about the joy of the Lord and the joy of our salvation, so that suggests that we should expect to have some kind of emotional response to our faith in Christ. Yet I have also known many committed followers of Jesus who struggle with depression (sometimes severe), so I would hestitate to say that "feeling our faith" is something that every believer should experience at all times.

In my own experience, I have "felt" my faith most strongly during the early months of my conversion experience (which was about 30 years ago). I also tend to feel my faith more during times of corporate worship (sometimes, certain hymns or worship songs will evoke strong emotions in me, so I will feel my faith more during those times). Perhaps playing (or singing) some of your favorite praise and worship songs (or hymns) will help you during those times that you aren't feeling your faith the way you think you should. When my mom passed away many years ago, I recall that singing hymns and worship songs helped to remind me of God's love and grace during that difficult time. I still felt a sense of loss, but I also felt uplifted and encouraged by the hope I had in Jesus.

#4 Mark Wood

Mark Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • I am a Missionary

• Nikdovnihan

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

It might be helpful to challenge your understanding of feelings. While feelings are a legitimate part of our being I think there is dangerous tendency to over emphasize them.
I would recommend two books that are very helpful. The first is Spiritual Depression: Its causes and cures by Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones (it may be out of print but pick it up on amazon.) Jones is very helpful in pointing out the difference between listening to ourselves and speaking to ourselves. Often when I listen to myself (my default switch) it is one of condemnation and on in which my "feelings" rule. If I don't feel great God is far, if I feel fantastic- I'm doing good with God. This is a false gospel. Instead we need to return to proclaiming the Gospel to ourselves daily. If I have a bad day- what does the Gospel remind me? I'm accepted before God not because of how I feel but because of Jesus Christ who stands in my place, who bore my sin and granted me His righteousness. When I have a great day its the same- I need to remind myself that its not because I feel great but because of Christ's perfect sacrifice that I am accepted by God. (For a bit of a shorter version check out the excellent book The Cross-Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney or The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges)

The second book is a tough one - The Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards. What is the relation of our feelings to our faith. I've thumbed through it and will read it fully sometime but I just read a great article by Tony Payne- an Aussie that does an excellent job summarizing Edwards. Can You Feel It - from The Briefing.

#5 Gabi Ruiz

Gabi Ruiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Iglesia Evangélica Galilea

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

There are times I can`t feel my faith either. Sometimes I have failed, but most of the times I had victory in Jesus. First I apology for my english because it's not my native language. I'm from Ecuador.
I would like to say that I keep doing what it is mean to be done. I mean, I keep reading my bible, I keep doing my service at the church, I keep praying. Praying is a dificult subject, cause when I dont feel, I feel empty. But I read salms. I read salms even when I feel nothing. I worship like I really mean it.
I fight my battle against sin, even when I feel like there is nothing to fight for.

Then faith is not a feeling anymore... faith is the strenght that keep me tied to Jesus even when I dont feel Him. I remember He felt all alone once, at the cross. But He kept believing.

Hope this help a little.

Porque no nos ha dado Dios espíritu de cobardía,
sino de poder, de amor y de dominio propio.

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity,
but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Dio infatti non ci ha dato uno spirito di paura, ma di forza, di amore e di disciplina.

(2 Timoteo 1:7)