#1 thirstydeer

thirstydeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

What does friendship mean to you?

Jesus said we should lay down our lives for our friends but what does that really mean?

We have more technology these days - computer, txt, phone etc but are we any closer to each other?

I personally find friendship really hard. And to find a deep friendship even harder.

People are so busy. Are we too busy?

Are we too scared to let ourselves to be known and too selfish to know and love others the way
Jesus wants us too?

Do we really love with no strings attached or if we are honest only for what we can get?

#2 thirstydeer

thirstydeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

Also, what do you think about david and Jonathan's friendship? Is that the Christian model of friendship or the exception to the rule?

#3 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

What does friendship mean to you?
Jesus said we should lay down our lives for our friends but what does that really mean?

I think you answered it with what Jesus says...and we must find out what laying down our lives really means in Jesus economy.

We have more technology these days - computer, txt, phone etc but are we any closer to each other?

I think at times we are lulled into thinking that these technological advances promote closeness. I read something once regarding blogging where the author stated that connection is confused with community. She was talking about how she gave up tech for lent one year, and didn't facebook or blog or email. She said she found out only after lent that a close friend (see facebook) was expecting a child. But did the friend call with the news? Nope, a facebook post. Are we friends if we only connect digitally? WWJP (What would Jesus Post?)

People are so busy. Are we too busy?
Are we too scared to let ourselves to be known and too selfish to know and love others the way Jesus wants us too?
Do we really love with no strings attached or if we are honest only for what we can get?

Tough questions all. I think I am too busy, and part of being counter culture might be to shut down digitally for a while. Unfortunately, my job forbids it :). I know that I am a selfish person--that within me is the ability to be completely evil and reasonably kind-- this is what the Holy Spirit overcomes if I allow Him to. I'd like to think I'm stringless, but I doubt there are many on this earth that are so.

Great thoughts and questons, thirstydeer.

#4 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:I am married to the beauteous Karina, and have two excellent children, Timothy and Evelyn. I love science fiction, kayaking, fantasy, philosophy, theology, politics, movies, illustration, and computer graphics.
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Trinity Alliance Church

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Also, what do you think about david and Jonathan's friendship? Is that the Christian model of friendship or the exception to the rule?

I guess I would say that David and Jonathan's friendship was a Biblical model of friendship, though not the Biblical model. Other examples include Jesus with His disciples, Aquilla and Priscilla with Apollos, Ruth with Naomi, etc.

What is remarkable about David and Jonathan's friendship is that, because both of them so fully trusted in God, neither of them sought an advantage over the other, but they both strove to honor and love the other, holding their friend's interest as more important than their own. The other night, my son and I were reading 1 Samuel 23 in his quiet time, and I was struck by this passage:

And Jonathan, Saul’s son, rose and went to David at Horesh, and strengthened his hand in God. And he said to him, “Do not fear, for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you. You shall be king over Israel, and I shall be next to you. Saul my father also knows this.” And the two of them made a covenant before the LORD. David remained at Horesh, and Jonathan went home. (1 Samuel 23:16–18 ESV)

I love that line, "Jonathan...strengthened his hand in God." Wow. And Jonathan was willing to take second place, behind David, because he loved the Lord, and he loved David. That's friendship. That's loyalty. That's a beautiful thing.
For those who are wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."

Visit my weblog, online art gallery, and church's website!

#5 thirstydeer

thirstydeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

I guess I would say that David and Jonathan's friendship was a Biblical model of friendship, though not the Biblical model

Sorry, what do you mean?

I liked what you said about David and Jonathan's friendship. You are so right. When you really love someone you just want the best for them.

Theres a quote that goes something like 'every time you win or succeed a little part of me dies' (not sure how it goes exactly)

And I think if we are truthful.. alot of us find it hard when friends succeed etc.

#6 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:I am married to the beauteous Karina, and have two excellent children, Timothy and Evelyn. I love science fiction, kayaking, fantasy, philosophy, theology, politics, movies, illustration, and computer graphics.
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

I was emphasizing "a" model, as opposed to "the" model - there are many Biblical models of friendship.
For those who are wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."

#7 thirstydeer

thirstydeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Cool :-)

#8 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • I am a Pastor

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

I don't believe there is only one way a friendship can look and still be Biblical. David and Jonathan had some aspects of friendship going for them. But so do Ruth and Naomi. So do other Biblical friends. There are elements in common between them, but I don't think it's fair to say that only David and Jonathan are a Biblical model for friendship.