• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

It's a trend that is taking Japan by storm, and it was started by Whoopi Goldberg. Thousands of Japanese, one of the most difficult people groups in the world to evangelize, are regularly being exposed to the good news through - of all things - "black" gospel music.

"The gospel music boom in Japan ('black gospel,' as it is known here) was kicked off by the movie Sister Act," says Alliance worker David Kindervater. "I assume Whoopi Goldberg is aware of the craze, but I wonder if she knows God has used the movie to save many!"

David and his wife, Vangi, have led gospel music workshops at Japan Alliance churches for at least a year now. "Japanese love music, like anyone else, but music here tends to be very by-the-note," says David. "Improvisation (jazz, blues) is uncommon; the whole culture and personality of Japan is generally very formal. Gospel music is so different from anything here, and the Japanese fell in love with it."

According to David, what started as a completely secular phenomenon has become an open door for a gospel witness in a country where less than 1 percent of the people are believers.

"The Japanese choir directors didn't know what the songs were about (and probably didn't care); it was just about the beat. So, missionaries began to teach it. It provides a completely natural way to share the gospel. The Japanese singers ask the questions: 'What is sin? Who is Jesus? What is so 'happy' about the day he washed my sins away?' We have the perfect opportunity to answer those questions in each rehearsal."

To read more about David and Vangi's ministry, visit their worker page: http://www.cmallianc...ter-david-vangi

How cool is it that God would use a "secular" film produced in America to open doors to the gospel in a country like Japan! Praise God that Alliance missionaries have taken advantage of this unique opportunity!

It makes me wonder if believers in North America are sensitive to similar opportunities right in front of us.

What movies have you seen that could open doors to converstations about Jesus and the gospel?

#2 thirstydeer

thirstydeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Quite amusing really.

God can diffinitely use anything including making a donkey talk.

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

Quite amusing really.

God can diffinitely use anything including making a donkey talk.

He sure can, thirstydear! I've always enjoyed that movie, but I never dreamed that God would use it in such a powerful way to communicate the message of salvation. Just incredible! We truly serve an awesome God who is full of surprises (and can't be put in a box).

#4 Denes House

Denes House

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:I am married to the beauteous Karina, and have two excellent children, Timothy and Evelyn. I love science fiction, kayaking, fantasy, philosophy, theology, politics, movies, illustration, and computer graphics.
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Trinity Alliance Church

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Great story - thanks for passing it on!
For those who are wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove..."

Visit my weblog, online art gallery, and church's website!

#5 Joel Stoddert

Joel Stoddert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Green Mountain Community Alliance Church

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Great story - thanks for passing it on!

Excellent movie! I love both the fine music and the story. I walked into a video store where it was playing, and over the loudspeakers came this incredible rendition of "O Happy Day". I was hooked, & rented it on the spot, later buying a copy. And, as you say about the Japanese, folks were stopping to listen to the music & standing there paying attention to the story as a result. I live in a very secular state, but I know many non-Christians who've seen, and really liked, the movie. You asked what other movies we could see being tools to share the gospel: The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one obvious choice. Two others, both war movies, are Gettysburg and We Were Soldiers, the first because of the very respectful treatment of outspoken Christian Robert E. Lee, and the latter because of the openly devout commander who loved his troops. Here are two strong men, warriors, who love God, something most non-believing viewers wouldn't expect. Another, rather unlikely, candidate is the Jim Carrey movie, Bruce Almighty, as Carrey's character grows from a self-centered jerk into a man who has learned to listen to God, & care about others. Morgan Freeman, who represents God in the movie, is fantastic. His portrayal of God relating to a regular human being is a sermon illustration in itself!

#6 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

Excellent movie! I love both the fine music and the story. I walked into a video store where it was playing, and over the loudspeakers came this incredible rendition of "O Happy Day". I was hooked, & rented it on the spot, later buying a copy. And, as you say about the Japanese, folks were stopping to listen to the music & standing there paying attention to the story as a result. I live in a very secular state, but I know many non-Christians who've seen, and really liked, the movie. You asked what other movies we could see being tools to share the gospel: The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one obvious choice. Two others, both war movies, are Gettysburg and We Were Soldiers, the first because of the very respectful treatment of outspoken Christian Robert E. Lee, and the latter because of the openly devout commander who loved his troops. Here are two strong men, warriors, who love God, something most non-believing viewers wouldn't expect. Another, rather unlikely, candidate is the Jim Carrey movie, Bruce Almighty, as Carrey's character grows from a self-centered jerk into a man who has learned to listen to God, & care about others. Morgan Freeman, who represents God in the movie, is fantastic. His portrayal of God relating to a regular human being is a sermon illustration in itself!

Lord of the Rings is a great choice, Joel! In terms of war movies, I also think Gods and Generals (another Civil War flick depicting the strong Christian faith of Lee and his contemporaries) would be a good choice. Bruce Alimighty is an excellent choice, and I would add Evan Almighty to the list as well.

I also think Return of the Jedi would be a good choice becasue of the way it portays the redemption of a hardened sinner whom most people would have given up on.

By the way, the January issue of Alliance Life magazine will feature an in-depth article I wrote on the Japan gospel music phenomenon (www.alliancelife.org).

#7 Rick W. Howe

Rick W. Howe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

The Bourne Trilogy, while not for children or the immature, has a host of metaphorical concepts that could be used by followers of Christ regarding spiritual warfare. Personal choices made in haste or under duress will lead to an increased awareness of both who we are AND / OR who we want to be. Often, we'll need to fight through the conflicts we cause or others cause to reach our goal of being in touch with the person we want to become. Interestingly, we don't learn until the end, if we closely examine the dogtags he handed over to the figurative enemy of his soul, that David Webb, AKA Jason Bourne, was a man of faith in Christ, even though he adhered to a different doctrinal foundation than ours. When we hear that he would no longer be David Webb, but another person, Jason Bourne by name, but far more insidiously different in nature, we receive a serious warning in our walk of faith. Who are we handing over OUR dogtags too, when we decide to not adhere to the foundational truths that make us followers of Christ? No easy question to answer, but answer it we must, or be in danger of sending an inconsistent message to those who "would see Jesus" in our midst. For those who have not seen these three full length movies, Drama, violence and language would be legitimate concerns for some, depending on your sensitivity to these.

#8 Laurie Collett

Laurie Collett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Born-again Christian since 4/17/2000. Retired MD neurologist (Laurie Barclay), medical writer. Theatrical ballroom dancer, performer & owner of Rhapsody Ballroom, Tampa, with husband Richard. Adult Bible study teacher. Singer/Christian songwriter.
  • I am a Layperson

• Fellowship Baptist Church

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

It's a trend that is taking Japan by storm, and it was started by Whoopi Goldberg. Thousands of Japanese, one of the most difficult people groups in the world to evangelize, are regularly being exposed to the good news through - of all things - "black" gospel music.

"The gospel music boom in Japan ('black gospel,' as it is known here) was kicked off by the movie Sister Act," says Alliance worker David Kindervater. "I assume Whoopi Goldberg is aware of the craze, but I wonder if she knows God has used the movie to save many!"

David and his wife, Vangi, have led gospel music workshops at Japan Alliance churches for at least a year now. "Japanese love music, like anyone else, but music here tends to be very by-the-note," says David. "Improvisation (jazz, blues) is uncommon; the whole culture and personality of Japan is generally very formal. Gospel music is so different from anything here, and the Japanese fell in love with it."

According to David, what started as a completely secular phenomenon has become an open door for a gospel witness in a country where less than 1 percent of the people are believers.

"The Japanese choir directors didn't know what the songs were about (and probably didn't care); it was just about the beat. So, missionaries began to teach it. It provides a completely natural way to share the gospel. The Japanese singers ask the questions: 'What is sin? Who is Jesus? What is so 'happy' about the day he washed my sins away?' We have the perfect opportunity to answer those questions in each rehearsal."

To read more about David and Vangi's ministry, visit their worker page: http://www.cmallianc...ter-david-vangi

How cool is it that God would use a "secular" film produced in America to open doors to the gospel in a country like Japan! Praise God that Alliance missionaries have taken advantage of this unique opportunity!

It makes me wonder if believers in North America are sensitive to similar opportunities right in front of us.

What movies have you seen that could open doors to converstations about Jesus and the gospel?

My husband and I have a dance ministry in which we perform to music with Christian lyrics, including Gospel music, to secular audiences, as I explained in a blogpost about this ministry:

http://savedbygraceb...with-dance.html

Never underestimate the power of music, or be surprised at what God will use to spread His Word!

Laurie Collett, Saved by Grace
http://savedbygraceb...y.blogspot.com/

#9 Ronald Goetz

Ronald Goetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• First United Methodist Church of El Cajon

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Whoopi Goldberg's rendition of "I Will Follow Him" brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

I will follow Him
Follow Him wherever He may go,
And near Him, I always will be
For nothing can keep me away,
He is my destiny.

I will follow Him,
Ever since He touched my heart I knew,
There isn't an ocean too deep,
A mountain so high it can keep,
Keep me away, away from His love.

I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,
And where He goes,
I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow.
he'll always be my true love, my true love, my true love
from now until forever, forever, forever

I will follow Him,
Keep me away, away from His love...
Ron Goetz
San Diego, California

#10 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Whoopi Goldberg's rendition of "I Will Follow Him" brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

I will follow Him
And near Him, I always will be
For nothing can keep me away,
He is my destiny.

I will follow Him,
Ever since He touched my heart I knew,
Keep me away, away from His love.

I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,
And where He goes,
I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow.
he'll always be my true love, my true love, my true love
from now until forever, forever, forever

I will follow Him,
Keep me away, away from His love...

It has the same effect on me, Ron! Thanks for sharing!