• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rick Reed

Rick Reed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

Do you remember watching after that first jet smashed into the side of South Tower of the World Trade Center, hoping against hope the tower would stand?
It burned for 56 minutes before it came tumbling down. Within a half hour the second tower was also leveled.
Those twin towers were an indelible part of the Manhattan skyline for decades. It seems so strange watching a movie filmed in New York City and not seeing them.
While we know knowing manmade stands forever, didn’t it seem that those buildings might?
Consider the Titanic. It was deemed unsinkable and never returned from its maiden voyage.
Do you know anything indestructible?
Is your God indestructible?
He should be. We should be able to withstand anything – with God.
Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 1:8-9: “We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.”
Later in the letter he wrote that God told him, “‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
I think it’s hard today for us to appreciate the words Solomon wrote in Proverbs 18:10, “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.”
In Solomon’s day, a strong tower was a place of safety. So they understood what Solomon was saying.
But the world of fortresses and fortifications changed over the years, especially with advent of gunpowder. The citadels and strongholds of old came tumbling down under the bombardment of cannons and rockets.
Masonry forts became a thing for historians not protection.
Remember the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 60s. Bomb shelters were built for paranoid people who could afford them. You can still find some today in Lake County and other parts of the country.
How safe would you feel in one today?
Instead of towers, men began digging deep in the earth for safety.
Even steel reinforced concrete vaults stories underground aren’t safe from the bunker-busting bombs of today.
So, how safe do you feel in God? Is He your strong tower?
How obsessed with God are you?
Oswald Chambers believed our safety in God depended on our depth of obsession with Him.
“If we are obsessed by God, nothing else can get into our lives— not concerns, nor tribulation, nor worries,” said Chambers. “And now we understand why our Lord so emphasized the sin of worrying. How can we dare to be so absolutely unbelieving when God totally surrounds us? To be obsessed by God is to have an effective barricade against all the assaults of the enemy.”
David was obsessed with God and able to write in Psalm 25: “Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in You. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in You.”
His hope was in God because his trust was in God.
Don’t you want to be like the author of Psalm 46 who wrote, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”
Is the Lord your strong tower?
Psalm 46 closes in verses 10-11: “Be still, and know that I am God; The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”
Be still.
Know that He is God.
Know that He is your strong tower.

Attached Files