• Interests:Revival and Deeper Life
    Rugby
    Music - quartets and male voice choirs
    Killer sudoku!
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Arbutus Christian Fellowship

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

I immigrated to Canada as a Physics teacher in 1975. Four years later I left teaching for the pulpit, at the invitation of my DS, and was appointed to a small church in Ontario. On my first day there, a young lady asked if I would return a book to the library which was in my office. I asked her what this book, Wingspread by Tozer, was about. She told me it was the biography of A B Simpson whereupon I asked her "Who was he?". I had never heard of the founder of our movement! I decided I had better familiarise myself with his story! I was thrilled as I read how God had moved upon this man and how his doctrine was molded by his 'crises'. In Wales I had belonged to the Elim Four-square Alliance church, started by George Jeffreys in the early C20th, with an emphasis almost exactly the same as Simpson's - I had 'come home' to the Alliance. (I wonder, does anyone know how Elim took upon itself this name?) I now assumed that every Alliance pastor believed the same as Simpson, especially concerning the baptism and fulness of ths Spirit. Sadly, I was to discover this not to be so. Oh, that the Alliance could regain the emphases that were so evidently anointed of God in those early days.
  • Joel Stoddert likes this

#2 Bernie Van De Walle

Bernie Van De Walle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • I am a Official Worker

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Foothills Alliance Church

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Amen! I think, however, at least in the circles in which I move, this prayer is coming true. May the Lord continue to bless us, first by his presence, and, second, by a revival of Christ-centered teaching.
Rev. Bernie A. Van De Walle, PhD
Professor of Historical and Systematic Theology
Ambrose University College & Seminary
Calgary, AB CANADA