Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Harvest Downtown

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

For more than a century, The Christian and Missionary Alliance has taken the light of Jesus to lost and lonely people in the United States and around the world, teaching them that Jesus is their only hope for peace today and eternal salvation. The Person of Jesus--our Savior, Sanctifier, Healer, and Coming King--is the heartbeat of The Alliance. The Fourfold Gospel is our C&MA DNA. It's all about Jesus!

So here's my question and challenge: What are the marks of a spirit-filled Christian? How would we recognize the person who allows Jesus to be not only Savior, Healer and Coming King but also Sanctifier? Is there something in your life that may be hindering the ongoing sanctification process? (John 15:6)

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

I would say that one of the primary marks of a Spirit-filled Christian is having the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22). Perhaps one of the most important characteristics of a Spirit-filled Christian is the willingness to forgive and to extend grace. Put another way, a Spirit-filled Christian is someone who has the mind of Christ and makes a deliberate choice to take every thought captive in obedience to Him.

In my own life, one thing that has probably hindered the sanctification process is my tendency to carry offenses and to nurse old wounds. I think this is something that many believers struggle with; we find it hard to show others the same grace and forbearance that Christ has shown us.

#3 Gareth

Gareth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Revival and Deeper Life
    Rugby
    Music - quartets and male voice choirs
    Killer sudoku!
  • I am a Retired Alliance Worker

• Arbutus Christian Fellowship

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

I would suggest that 'the marks of a Spirit-filled Christian' are seen in the same context as the words "be filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18 - 21)
1) v 19: a worshipping attitude - the Spirit within always seeks to glorify the Son
2) v 20: a thankful attitude - the Spirit within always seeks to do God's will - 1 Thess 5:18
3) v 21: a submitted attitude - the Spirit within desires us to walk in all humility, honouring one another.

I dont care how many 'gifts' you might have, nor how 'effective' your ministry is, don't tell me you are a 'Spirit-filled Christian' if you are not a worshipper (even when the 'praise & worship is little more than Christian kareoke), you are a grumbler or constantly demanding your 'rights'. Spirit-filled believers rise above these things!

#4 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

I would suggest that 'the marks of a Spirit-filled Christian' are seen in the same context as the words "be filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18 - 21)
1) v 19: a worshipping attitude - the Spirit within always seeks to glorify the Son
2) v 20: a thankful attitude - the Spirit within always seeks to do God's will - 1 Thess 5:18
3) v 21: a submitted attitude - the Spirit within desires us to walk in all humility, honouring one another.

I dont care how many 'gifts' you might have, nor how 'effective' your ministry is, don't tell me you are a 'Spirit-filled Christian' if you are not a worshipper (even when the 'praise & worship is little more than Christian kareoke), you are a grumbler or constantly demanding your 'rights'. Spirit-filled believers rise above these things!

Christian Karaoke. Funny! I never thought of it that way, but how often are we simply mouthing along while our hearts and minds are in another place.

To answer Joan's question about hindrances to sanctification: I find that in my life I'm present in body but not in mind and heart more often than I like. The reminder to keep those 3 marks of worshipful, thankful, and submitted is very much appreciated! Don't want to be bringing any "strange fire" or incense before the King!

Here is another question, then. Is sanctification a progressive byproduct of the worship of God?

Loving this topic and discussion.

#5 Joan Phillips

Joan Phillips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Harvest Downtown

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

Christian Karaoke. Funny! I never thought of it that way, but how often are we simply mouthing along while our hearts and minds are in another place.

To answer Joan's question about hindrances to sanctification: I find that in my life I'm present in body but not in mind and heart more often than I like. The reminder to keep those 3 marks of worshipful, thankful, and submitted is very much appreciated! Don't want to be bringing any "strange fire" or incense before the King!

Here is another question, then. Is sanctification a progressive byproduct of the worship of God?

Loving this topic and discussion.

Marvin, Based on teaching I've had from one John Soper, I believe sanctification to be a three-fold process.

Justification—God declared us to be not guilty.

Sanctification—God wants to make us in reality what he’s already declared us to be. The ongoing process

Glorification—When we are with Jesus. We are as much like Jesus as a created being can become.

#6 Richard Cook

Richard Cook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• springhill mbc

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

I would say that one of the primary marks of a Spirit-filled Christian is having the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22). Perhaps one of the most important characteristics of a Spirit-filled Christian is the willingness to forgive and to extend grace. Put another way, a Spirit-filled Christian is someone who has the mind of Christ and makes a deliberate choice to take every thought captive in obedience to Him.

In my own life, one thing that has probably hindered the sanctification process is my tendency to carry offenses and to nurse old wounds. I think this is something that many believers struggle with; we find it hard to show others the same grace and forbearance that Christ has shown us.

I know I do. I for some reason can not forget the past of certain people. I know also that I would want them to forget my wrong doings in my pass. Christ is teaching me daily how to show mercy. This is where I have to trust Him. Hebrews 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sancitified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to called them brethern.

#7 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

So here's my question and challenge: What are the marks of a spirit-filled Christian? How would we recognize the person who allows Jesus to be not only Savior, Healer and Coming King but also Sanctifier? Is there something in your life that may be hindering the ongoing sanctification process? (John 15:6)

In my early days as a believer, I though that sanctification was something that I was supposed to work toward. I thought that I had to earn God's love and deserve His forgiveness. I realize now that the day that Jesus died on the cross, my sins were forgiven and the only thing that I need to do is to simply accept the fact that I already am forgiven. Salvation no longer has anything to do with sin. Instead it is all based on my willingness to accept that I am forgiven, that I am loved and accepted for who I am.

The more I think in terms of earning God's love, his forgiveness, and trying to become sanctified, the less I am able to focus on Him and the things that He has placed before me to do. One of the funny things about grace is the fact that as I keep my eyes on Him and be a good steward of what He has placed into my hands, He will make the changes that He sees fit to make. God is God and I am not. He is the one who brings healing and transformation, so more than anything I just need to keep out of His way.

We are sanctified when we accept the fact that we have already been declared Holy. Sanctification is not about our actions, but instead how we see ourselves. When we see ourselves as being Holy And Righteous in the eyes of God, then our actions and our choices will follow close behind.

#8 Brian Elmer

Brian Elmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading/study, music, golf
  • I am a Pastor

• Perrysburg Alliance

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

I would also refer to the book of Ephesians. In the first 3 chapters Paul talks about being "in Him" --- the benefits. In chapters 4-6, we see Paul saying in light of who we are "in Him", let's walk in Him. So you can clearly see what it looks like to be a Spirit-filled, sanctified, transformed follower of Christ. But Romans 12 speaks clearly of the surrendered life (the "I give up-life") and how surrender is the key in going deeper in our life with Jesus. His objective in all of us - "to conform us into the image of His Son" (Romans 8:29) There's one thing to gaining knowledge of Christ and His Word --- it's another thing to let the Holy Spirit transform you into the image of His Son.

#9 Peter Enns

Peter Enns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

In my early days as a believer, I though that sanctification was something that I was supposed to work toward. I thought that I had to earn God's love and deserve His forgiveness. I realize now that the day that Jesus died on the cross, my sins were forgiven and the only thing that I need to do is to simply accept the fact that I already am forgiven. Salvation no longer has anything to do with sin. Instead it is all based on my willingness to accept that I am forgiven, that I am loved and accepted for who I am.

The more I think in terms of earning God's love, his forgiveness, and trying to become sanctified, the less I am able to focus on Him and the things that He has placed before me to do. One of the funny things about grace is the fact that as I keep my eyes on Him and be a good steward of what He has placed into my hands, He will make the changes that He sees fit to make. God is God and I am not. He is the one who brings healing and transformation, so more than anything I just need to keep out of His way.

We are sanctified when we accept the fact that we have already been declared Holy. Sanctification is not about our actions, but instead how we see ourselves. When we see ourselves as being Holy And Righteous in the eyes of God, then our actions and our choices will follow close behind.

I find your statement "Sanctification is not about our actions, but instead how we see ourselves." very insightful and helpful... thank you!

#10 don camp

don camp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Apologetics, blogging, reading, photography, and outdoor activity such as fishing and canoeing
  • I am a Layperson

• Sojourn Community

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

Great topic. I believe sanctification is all of the above. But it is also victory over sin. We should be becoming holy. We should not be struggling with sin ineffectively.

Is it progressive? Following Simpson's insights into sanctification, it is both received by faith and progressive. We do not become instantly holy (though we are counted holy by God). But we do enjoy instant victory, a victory that must then be received by faith day by day and moment by moment.

Sanctification is neiother sinlessness - there are always new areas where God would have victory - nor is it instant maturity.

Maturity is often confused with sanctification. Maturity is the completion of our Christ-likeness, a process never completely accomplished. It includes the full expression of the fruit of the Spirit in our lives, and it results in , in OT terms, wisdom.

#11 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Try reading Romans 8 (especially verses 28-30) that might be of some help.

Believe me when I say that the only way of sanctification is that we are fully sanctified in Heaven.

#12 Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

When dealing with the idea of sanctification, we need to remember that we were never meant to judge good and evil. We were never even meant to think in those terms. Sanctification is all about being in a continual state of obedience while in relationship with God. A true relationship doesn’t try to boil the state of the relationship down to a set of rules and regulations. Love is not about following a set of laws, but instead is about communication and willingly meeting each other’s needs. As we listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit will guide us. As we walk in that guidance, we will be led into all righteousness. This is grace in action.

Now when we think in terms of good and evil, right and wrong, we break the very idea of what it means to live by grace. When we try to live sinless lives, whether we realize it or not, the focus inevitably becomes trying to please God and earning his acceptance. When God gave us the law it was an act of grace in the midst of our disobedience. It was never his will or intent that we live by that law, but instead it was meant as a steppingstone on the path of his plan to bring us to reconciliation to himself.

When Jesus died on the cross, his death reconciled us to the Father. The separation between God and us no longer exists. Along with reconciliation, Christ’s resurrection also brought us the Holy Spirit to be our teacher, guide and friend. As we listen to our hearts and walk in obedience to where the Spirit is leading us, we don’t have to think in terms of sin. The grace of Jesus death on the cross has covered that sin for all eternity. By walking by the Spirit we enter into relationship with God.

Sanctification isn’t about learning to live sinless lives. Instead it is learning to not see and judge our lives in terms of sin and law, and entering into a relationship based on communication, trust and obedience in relationship.