• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JayTurner

JayTurner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:03 AM

I don’t know if anyone here has felt they were being dangled over the pits of hell, but I feel that over the past year or so, God has had me there numerous times.  It is not something I wish to or may ever be able to talk about.

Yesterday, I was reading about how Jesus restored the demon-possessed man in Luke 8.26-38.  When I read the passage, I felt that God was allowing me to look at this from a very different and unique perspective.  This man was being possessed by a legion of demons.  Just imagine if you were one of these demons, who for millennia have been living with the idea that their past mistakes have condemned them to an eternity in hell.  Every day having little more than to hope for just a little bit longer.

When I look at the way the demons spoke to Jesus, I see an air of respect and terror.  “What do you want from me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?”  It is as if they were falling down at his feet.  They weren’t just begging for mercy, but also honoring him as best they knew how.

When the man came out, he was wearing no clothes.  He was stripped bare and living in a tomb.  He had nothing and felt he was nothing.

When Jesus asked them “What is your name?”  I get the sense that he saw the heart behind the flesh.  That he saw the pain and torment, not only in the man, but also in those possessing the man.

When they pleaded with Jesus to not send them into the abyss, he was showing them mercy, by allowing them to go into the pigs.

The thing that God keeps laying on my heart is that he has a plan for all of his children.  This plan isn’t what we tend to grasp onto as we look at the picture being displayed in the book of Revelation, but instead one where each and every one of his children will be returned to his loving embrace.

#2 Tony Davison

Tony Davison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Retired Electrician by trade full time christian by Gods choice.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:36 AM

I don't believe that human beings become Angels if they chose Christ or Demons  if they do not chose Christ. Human beings when they die either spend eternity in Heaven if they are believers or in eternal punishment in hell if they did not chose Christ. Angels and Demons are separate created beings.

I to have been through some tough times and at the time it seemed like hell on earth. I know that God will test you so that he refines you like Gold. Gold as you know has to be heated to a liquid to purify it. 

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

I am not convinced that God is the one who gives us severe problems, but one thing is for sure, God
can and does use certain problems in our life to get us to learn certain truth. Once, when I was in deep despair and depression(I won`t go back through the story because most of you know it), God asked me a very simple question...."Do you trust Me"? That didn`t remove all the bad emotional stuff at that instant, but it did show me that God really does care and He is The light at the end of the tunnel. God didn`t intend for us to struggle against satan alone because the old covering angel is too powerful for the sons of Adam. We, as children of God, have indwelling within us both Father and Son! Wow! Now there is a huge, infinite amount of power that can defeat all satan`s power..... already has. Our problem(my problem) was that a struggle against satan using just our own knowledge and strength just cannot win. When we use the indwelling power of the Father and Son, we cannot be defeated, and are "more than victors". Our faith, combined with our trust, will bring about victory after victory.

Praise God because He is who He says He is,

Charlie
  • Julie Daube likes this

#4 Tony Davison

Tony Davison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:10 AM

This is from Oswald Chambers book My Utmost for His Highest I don't think I could say it any better. 

The Good or The Best?

May 25

If you take the left, then I will go to the right; or, if you go to the right, then I will go to the left. —Genesis 13:9

As soon as you begin to live the life of faith in God, fascinating and physically gratifying possibilities will open up before you. These things are yours by right, but if you are living the life of faith you will exercise your right to waive your rights, and let God make your choice for you. God sometimes allows you to get into a place of testing where your own welfare would be the appropriate thing to consider, if you were not living the life of faith. But if you are, you will joyfully waive your right and allow God to make your choice for you. This is the discipline God uses to transform the natural into the spiritual through obedience to His voice.

Whenever our right becomes the guiding factor of our lives, it dulls our spiritual insight. The greatest enemy of the life of faith in God is not sin, but good choices which are not quite good enough. The good is always the enemy of the best. In this passage, it would seem that the wisest thing in the world for Abram to do would be to choose. It was his right, and the people around him would consider him to be a fool for not choosing.

Many of us do not continue to grow spiritually because we prefer to choose on the basis of our rights, instead of relying on God to make the choice for us. We have to learn to walk according to the standard which has its eyes focused on God. And God says to us, as He did to Abram, “…walk before Me…” (Genesis 17:1).

WISDOM FROM OSWALD CHAMBERS

The place for the comforter is not that of one who preaches, but of the comrade who says nothing, but prays to God about the matter. The biggest thing you can do for those who are suffering is not to talk platitudes, not to ask questions, but to get into contact with God, and the “greater works” will be done by prayer (see John 14:12–13).

#5 JayTurner

JayTurner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

I have been having problems with kidney stones, off and on, for the past couple years.  The first time I became dehydrated and couldn't keep anything down.  I don't know how many of you have ever had them or for those of you who have given birth, just take a minute to think of the worst pain that you have ever been through.  Now imagine for a minute the extreme terror and torment of what it would be like if you knew that was all you could ever hope for and there was no hope of that ever ending.  What would you do if there was no hope for redemption, wouldn't you do literally anything just to postpone that as long as possible?

I believe that God is truly an all loving god.  In that, I don't believe that He would give up searching for a solution to see that all of his creation could one day be reunited with Him.

#6 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:00 AM

Isaiah 26:3 came to mind while I was reading the posts. My thinking needs to kept on a verse that helps me to focus on what the Lord is doing to keep me ...

Don't know that my wee bit will help much but I surly was thankful to be sent to Isaiah 26:3.

Seems Jesus is restoring me daily in some way or another, and most of the time I'm not aware of it.  It helps me to be reminded of Him keeping me and restoring me moment by moment can be happening more than I'm aware of.

I tend to blame myself more than to think of what Satan does.  So the dear Lord helps me to realign my thoughts ever now n again and become aware of peace and restoration.

Thank you all for posting.

It is good to see you reply Charlie :-).  I have missed seeing the peoples' posts that used to post regularly.  So blessed to see one of the oldies post ever now n again.

I am so grateful that God blesses us day by day.  May we bless Him.

Blessings to all of you,

Ginger

Isa 26:3  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

#7 Tony Davison

Tony Davison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

JayTurner

I believe that God is truly an all loving god.  In that, I don't believe that He would give up searching for a solution to see that all of his creation could one day be reunited with Him.

Your quote above brings to mind for me that God is a just God and he wanted all his creation to be united to Himself so he provided his own solution. God required a perfect lamb blood sacrifice for the replacement of sin. So because we messed it up so much God sent His own perfect son to die for us so we can be with Him. All we have to do is believe that it was Jesus who took our place on the cross. The solution is already there, believe that Jesus is My Saviour.

• Julie Daube likes this