Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • family home church

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

I was going to just copy/paste but I decided to just give the link because of the photos. I suspect it's something most of the members in here can relate to.

For Him,

Meema

http://bagsallpacked...perfection.html

#2 Tony Davison

Tony Davison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Retired Electrician by trade full time christian by Gods choice.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:50 AM

Thank you for the blog I am going to a church now where it is more age appropriate for myself and my wife. We even have a full pipe organ and sometimes there is only one song leader (a little sarcasm). The building is over a hundred years old.

• Phil likes this

#3 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

I’ve heard of a local church that has two buildings/two services. The small original church serves the older congregants with a ‘traditional’ service and the new building serves the younger generation - those who need to be invigorated and entertained to maintain their interest. I think this is sad even though, on the surface, it appears to be a nice compromise. I know all the arguments, of course. We have to do what we have to do to keep the young people from being pulled away. They are so easily bored by tradition. But it seems all wrong to me and I can’t defend my position other than to say I don’t think it’s about conforming to modern need as much as it is allowing modern need to drive the bus, pedal to the metal, over the cliff. 

But then, who knows, perhaps the issue is far more complex than what kind of music to play and energy level to maintain. Christians have been reordering how they worship for 2000 years. I guess the bottom line is Who they worship. 

#4 bob wire

bob wire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• parker Bible church

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

my wife and I  church went multigenerational with music  drums guiter      then more tradional kinda hodpodg   my wife   who plays a cello  and was taught  classical  is getting so she wont   hardly  go   the preaching is  very gospel   right on     kinda in  a quarndy    asking  the  Lord  for  wisdom

#5 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

Bob, I hope God graces you with the answer.

This really is a greater issue than just worship style. I find as I age that I fit less and less comfortably here on earth and what I call the new normal. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it is frustrating. It’s almost pointless to speak out about the agony of watching the slow slide away from the standards that have been our check/balance system that's kept us in a state of civility because the arguments launch immediately. “You can’t stop progress!” “Morality is just a religious tool!” “Everyone lies so it’s okay!” “There’s never been a perfect era!”

So, yes, I can argue back that there’s always been the dark side of life but I can remember that, not so long ago, when the light side prevailed. The scale was tipped toward personal integrity, honor, moral character and intention to ethical behavior. But I see that changing rapidly now. These pinions of civilization are being replaced with anything goes. For all our advances, we take three steps forward and ten steps backward but society, merrily celebrating its freedoms, isn’t paying attention to the dissolving foundation.  That can’t be progress can it? 

And what does this rabbit trail have to do with the way the younger generation chooses to worship? I can’t tell you exactly but I think it is all related somehow. One little thing here, another little thing there, little things all add up to an era that mercifully must be cut short for the Elect’s sake.  [Matthew 24:22]

• bob wire likes this

#6 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:53 AM

Our church has added some "praise" music at the start of the service, but for the most part ours is a traditional type service. As far as I am concerned, most all classical hymns are praise music and
singing them is praising God. Some types of music seem to not direct my mind to genuine worship, but that is not to say it does not work for everyone. We often speak of "essentials and non-essentials" in our denomination, so I just believe that the music type is a non-essential. Some people who really like ice cream may prefer vanilla over strawberry, and that is OK. The fact is that they really love ice cream. A poor example, I know, but the point is...Jesus loves me and I love Him, so I will continue to praise Him in all the ways I can. If a certain music complicates worship for me, I will try and learn to be flexible with my taste in music, or If I just can`t do that, I will go where the music is more of an aid to worship for me.

#7 Phil

Phil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Holy Bible, Hiking, Photography
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northgate Community Church

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:20 AM

Thank you for the blog I am going to a church now where it is more age appropriate for myself and my wife. We even have a full pipe organ and sometimes there is only one song leader (a little sarcasm). The building is over a hundred years old.

I love those old pipe organs and old churches. If you're ever in Durham, North Carolina be sure to visit the Chapel at Duke University. It's old and they have two pipe organs as well. It's a very beautiful chapel, inside and out. And the nearby Sarah P. Duke gardens are very impressive too. 

Aeolian(2).jpg?itok=mA-myDFz

FLENTROP-(12).jpg?itok=A1z8z30e

duke_chapel.jpg

duke-chapel.jpg

2bombaugh.jpg?itok=syPpbv7T