• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

I recently heard about a sermon with this deliberately provocative title, which may have been inspired by a country song with the same name.

Curious about other people's take on this question, I did a search and came across a Yahoo discussion of whether Jesus would wear such an expensive watch.

Here is a sampling of the responses: 

"Not when a Timex keeps time as well and is so much cheaper."

"No I don't think so. He would wear a watch just to tell the time and not for adornment."

"He wouldn't drive a Volvo either!"

"He would wear what any other homeless man would wear."

Most answers were along the same lines, except for the following response, which I thought was the most biblical and carefully thought out:

"Jesus might wear a Rolex if someone gave it to him as a gift. He accepted the gift Mary of Bethany gave him when she poured expensive perfume on his head six days before his crucifixion. When the others criticized her for being so wasteful--the perfume was worth a year's wages--Jesus said, 'Leave her alone. She has done a beautiful thing to me.' I don't think Jesus would seek to buy a Rolex for himself as a status symbol to show off his worth."

Another thoughtful response was this one: "What if the person that gave him the watch was someone that was proud of giving it to him? Then he would wear it so as not to hurt their feelings."

One could also add that when the wise men presented gifts of gold, Frankincense, and myrrh to the child Jesus, His earthly parents did not refuse these gifts, which were clearly very expensive (Frankincense today is still very pricy!). 

None of this diminishes the fact that Jesus chose to become poor for our sakes, leaving the glorious riches of heaven to secure our salvation through the most horrific of all deaths, after being stripped of all that He owned—even His clothing. But Jesus clearly was not averse to receiving generous gifts from those who loved Him. 

Perhaps we can conclude that His followers need not be averse to receiving good gifts from Him.

For those interested in listening to the sermon, here is the link (I haven't listened to it but heard about it from a friend):

http://flcbranson.or...sWearARolex.xml

• Liz Udall likes this

#2 Andrew/Esther Schaeffer

Andrew/Esther Schaeffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Missions, Africa, Cleveland and Ohio Sports
  • I am a Missionary

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Northview Alliance Church, Wooster, Ohio

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:36 PM

"How then should we live" is a daily struggle for us as we bring the Gospel of Christ across cultures and different people groups. Amy Carmichael tells the story of how someone sent her fur gloves.  She wore them one day to the hospital where she was sharing the Good News to a dying woman.  The woman did not listen to a single word that Amy had to say.  All her focus was on the gloves.  Amy never wore them again. That has been a guide for me, to dress and live so that it is not a distraction or point of focus or contention over the message we are sent to proclaim.

• Julie Daube and Candice like this

#3 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

"How then should we live" is a daily struggle for us as we bring the Gospel of Christ across cultures and different people groups. Amy Carmichael tells the story of how someone sent her fur gloves.  She wore them one day to the hospital where she was sharing the Good News to a dying woman.  The woman did not listen to a single word that Amy had to say.  All her focus was on the gloves.  Amy never wore them again. That has been a guide for me, to dress and live so that it is not a distraction or point of focus or contention over the message we are sent to proclaim.

Very good point, Esther! This reminds me of what Paul said about being all things to all people, "so that by all possible means I might save some." It also shows the need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and to be aware that there is a proper time and place for things.  

• Candice likes this

#4 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:00 AM

Crazy old me, I always see things differently. While this has often gotten me in trouble I’ll toss this out anyway. 

Would Jesus wear a Rolex? No. Why? He isn’t bound by our time keeping so why would He bother? He has no need for clocks or calendars. We are not able to fully understand this concept of God being outside of our human measurements. Children that we are we love to play mind games, to posit - what if? But the premises of our questions always suppose first that He is like us. That we can hone Him down into a shape that we can understand. 

What if we changed the question? Does Jesus care if we wear a Rolex? 

Not unless we worship the Rolex instead of Him.  

• Julie Daube, Candice, bob wire and 1 other like this

#5 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

Meema, you're not the only one who saw it from that perspective. Several of the responses in the Yahoo discussion said He wouldn't wear any kind of watch because He is outside of time. I am sure the pastor who preached the sermon of that title knows this. It is my understanding that his sermon was more about how we should respond when God chooses to bless us with financial prosperity. It was addressed to believers who were struggling with a poverty mentality, thinking that it's sinful or wrong to have nice things.  

I like what you said about worshipping Jesus and not the Rolex. That's a great point!

#6 Meema

Meema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• family home church

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

I’ve seen this so many times before, the concept that the only way to please God is to be completely poor. People site Scripture like “it’s easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven.” [Matthew 19:24]. And also Matthew 19:21 “Jesus answered, ‘If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’

Years ago I heard Billy Graham preach about Matthew 19:24. He said it was an analogy that needed perspective and a history lesson. He went on to explain that in the old walled cities like Jerusalem, there were narrow doorways in the walls. The only way a vendor could bring his camel through into the city was to remove his wares from the camel’s back first. 

I was only a child when I heard that but it made so much sense to me. Material things, whether we have them or don’t are not the problem. What we must do to please God is to be freely willing to remove everything that isn’t Him before we can pass through into His perfect will. 

I didn’t think Billy Graham was advocating for prosperity with his sermon but rather putting things into balance. When things become more important, which is happening more and more nowadays, is when poverty of spirit takes over. And thus a rich man, who loves his stuff more, will find it difficult to enter heaven.

I once was thinking about all the denominations and the different ways people worship and I asked a rhetorical question - what if Jesus came and walked into your living room and you asked Him, “Hey Lord, what denomination do you belong to?” 

And the answer?  He’d respond - “If you can ask that, you do not know me.” :-)

• Julie Daube, Candice and Dina like this

#7 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:03 PM

He didn't need a watch; He was always on time!! Kairos, not chronos.

• Julie Daube, Candice and Phil like this

#8 Gordy

Gordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• Ensley Alliance Church, Pensacola FL

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

would Jesus wear a Rolex?  no I don't think so...He made time!

#9 Fireweed Trekker

Fireweed Trekker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

Here on Earth we use asphalt for roads; in New Jerusalem they use gold for the roads like we use asphalt.

B?  & C?

#10 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

No-Jesus would not wear a Rolodex if it would potentially cause offense (of the flesh kind of offense).

#11 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

No-Jesus would not wear a Rolodex if it would potentially cause offense (of the flesh kind of offense).

Thanks for chiming in, Candice. In my original post, I mentioned the woman who poured expensive perfume on Jesus' head six days before his crucifixion. When Judas was offended by what he considered wastefulness--the perfume was worth a year's wages--Jesus said, 'Leave her alone. She has done a beautiful thing to me."

To me, Jesus' response to Judas' criticism of the lavish gift suggests that it's not necessarily wrong or sinful to receive expensive presents, wear stylish clothes, or enjoy the blessings of wealth when God gives it to us. When the wise men presented gifts of gold, Frankincense, and myrrh to the child Jesus, His earthly parents did not refuse these gifts, which were clearly very expensive.  

I think if Jesus' walked the earth today and He received a Rolex watch as a gift from a beloved follower, He might very well wear it. I believe His heart would be more inclined to be thankful for such a gift than to worry about offending someone. At the same time, I think He would be sensitive to people's feelings and not flaunt such a present or show it off.   

#12 JohnJ

JohnJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, model railroading, my 1969 Ford F250, model airplanes
  • I am a Layperson

• MiddleCross Church

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

Not on his television show.

I think Ray Stevens, in his own unique way, pretty well answers that question.

"To be a successful inventor, you need three things: imagination, determination, and neighbors that mind their own business." Red Green

#13 JohnJ

JohnJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, model railroading, my 1969 Ford F250, model airplanes
  • I am a Layperson

• MiddleCross Church

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

Hmmm...... I only pasted the YouTube link. Didn't think it would embed the video.

"To be a successful inventor, you need three things: imagination, determination, and neighbors that mind their own business." Red Green

#14 Agor

Agor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

Here on Earth we use asphalt for roads; in New Jerusalem they use gold for the roads like we use this phen375 review as asphalt.

Interesting question. I don't think Jesus would care about such small matters of whether he should wear a rolex or not. I think he would wear it if it were a gift though to be kind.

• Julie Daube likes this

#15 Phil

Phil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Holy Bible, Hiking, Photography
  • I am a Layperson

• Northgate Community Church

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

Jesus doesn't need a Rolex or any material item like a watch or car. 

#16 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for chiming in, Phil! Many people responded as you did. There were others responding to the same question who mentioned Mary of Bethany's lavish gift to Jesus and the fact that he not only accepted it but also rebuked those who criticized her for giving him such an expensive gift. So yes, now that He's in heaven He certainly doesn't need a material item like a watch or a car. But during his earthly ministry, he may very well have accepted a Rolex as a gift (if they had them back then), if it was given to Him in a spirit of love and sacrifice. The wise men brought lavish gifts to Him as well, and his earthly parents did not refuse them.