• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

Despite a wonderful time at church yesterday and a sermon that deeply ministered to me, I found myself in a bad mood after coming home. I allowed negative emotions to get the best of me and was quite unpleasant to be around for much of the afternoon (and my wonderful husband was incredibly patient with me!). Eventually I repented but still struggled with discouragement. Based on my attitude, it was tempting to feel like I shouldn't expect to receive God's blessings for the remainder of the day.

But God surprised me wonderfully. I wasn't sure the meal I'd planned for dinner would be enough for my husband and me. It was leftover roast chicken, just a leg and the carcass (which had hardly any meat left on it). I sliced what was there and asked my husband if he thought it would feed us both. He wasn't sure but said if it wasn't not enough we could snack later. I also didn't think we'd have enough vegetables for the two of us (they were from a bag of frozen that I had previously used; I didn't realize how few veggies were left in the package until I opened it).

It turns out everything was more than enough! I simmered the chicken pieces in gravy, and my husband raved over the meal, saying, "This is just the kind of food my mom used to make when I was growing up!" We both ate till we were full, and there were leftover vegetables and chicken (sound familiar?).  

This experience showed me that even when our attitudes are less than perfect, God still wants to bless us and show us His grace—extravagant grace that is more than enough and more than we will ever deserve. It also reminded me that He delights in going way beyond our expectations. Thank you, Lord, for your unmerited favor, grace, and mercy! 

God is good, all the time—even when we fall short.

• Beth Knight-Pinneo and Andrew/Esther Schaeffer like this