Aaron Andrews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Wadena Alliance Church

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

The Tozer devo today helped me put everything that's going on in our country back into perspective. My focus is not to be set primarily on the contemporary, but on the eternal. While I know that in my head, at times it is very easy to lose sight of. God is on the throne, and I am a co-heir with Christ; both of His suffering and His future glory. In that I must be content.

#2 Aaron Andrews

Aaron Andrews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I am a Pastor

• Wadena Alliance Church

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Not sure how my wife's name got attached to my account.  No, our church isn't pastored by a woman who is a guy!  Hoping the mods can help me get this figured out soon.  My name is actually Aaron Andrews, not Brenda. <_<

#3 robo328

robo328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading
  • I am a Church Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • Church of God

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

Yes, there needs to be a re-focusing.

For as long as I've been saved(about 25 years), it seems The Church in the USA, collectively, acts like a bunch of Martha's, trying to do "God's work"- getting involved in politics(other than voting), and getting upset over TV shows, and movies, instead of, like Mary, seeking the best- Glorifying God, and enjoying Him always.  

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength" -Isaiah 30:15

#4 Fireweed Trekker

Fireweed Trekker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

Like the old TV series "Columbo"; help me out here; Mary is at the feet of Jesus (all well and excellent) and Martha is in the kitchen preparing the meal and whatever else and needs help. I'm trying to recognize a coherent and complete picture here that takes into account: motivation, need, social and cultural expectations, faith. Any thing else, consideration, expectation or thought (eh elbow grease??) I'm missing?

Would it have been acceptable then and there for no refreshments of any kind??? Minimum requirements?

B?  & C?

#5 Robert Sanford

Robert Sanford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• North Springs Alliance

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Can I just say I love the Columbo reference

#6 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

Here in the US, I would suppose there is enough need that we could use Marthas and Marys. I understand trekker`s comment, but I also see so many churches that will pray for the needy, but not do much else to help them.  We recently had a family in our church who had some very pressing health problems and associated needs.  Not only did they receive daily prayer, but the ladies of the church took them meals every day until the crisis was better. I think we can see both Mary and Martha in this, and both are doing a type of worship.  Worship, obedience, and service are all fingers within the same glove of agape love.

Oh, by the way, I always enjoyed Columbo also.

#7 robo328

robo328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • I am a Church Worker

• Church of God

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

Peter Faulk was a great actor...

I don't disagree that there is room for both. Besides, James says faith without works is dead.  My problem is with the political, and social involvement, that I believe would change anyway, if we would resolve to know nothing but Christ, and Him crucified, instead of handing out voter guides, and endorsing candidates for "The Evangelical Voter" to endorse

John 6:29 says "The work of God is this- To believe in the One He has sent" It was said of the early church: "See how they love one another" not "see how they swayed that election"

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength" -Isaiah 30:15

#8 Fireweed Trekker

Fireweed Trekker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Luke 21: 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”... and

34 “Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. 35 For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”

Praise to the God of All Comfort

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters,[a] about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

I was thinking this morning that when someone finally faces REAL persecution for the first time, others who have been in it for X amount of time must not greet them in a spirit of derision (or bitterness) into the fellowship of suffering. "Welcome to the party." or "You're finally smelling the coffee." Derision from other believers who have been in it, is as harmful as desertion (When other believers leave you high and dry when you take a sound and scriptural Biblical stand yet it's an unpopular stand.) Richard Wurmbrand comes to mind.

B?  & C?

#9 robo328

robo328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • I am a Church Worker

• Church of God

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

http://www.cmallianc...ns/tozer?id=128

Here is the Tozer Devotional, Aaron Andrews was referring to in the original post.