• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

AW Tozer was a bit if a mystic, undertaking a very serious prayer and meditative life. I like this quote from a book on Tozers list of books: "A Guide to True Peace", and highly recommend it.

Do you believe, as this book reinforces, that this is obtained for you in "silent contemplative prayer"? Can you share?

"We must be aware that nature is always an enemy to the spirit. When she is deprived of sensible pleasures, she remains weak, melancholy, and full of irritation. Hence from the uneasiness of thoughts, the weariness of body, troublesome sleep, and your inability to curb the senses – every one of which would follow its own pleasure – you will often feel impatient to be at the end of your prayer. Happy are you if you can persevere in the midst of the painful trial! Remember that “they who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).
  • Kevin Blankenship, bob wire and Charles Miles like this