• 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:34 PM

I enjoy reading comments on this forum and every so often joining the discussion. I think many on this site are more mature in their christian walk than I, so I wish to start a discussion about a problem that is pressing in on my heart, and has been for a while.....but especially today. The news just reported that this ISIS group just burned a captive alive today and sent out video of the horrific murder. This on top of the multiple murders, beheadings, killing of innocent children, and mass murder of populations just because they will not submit to these radical crazy terrorists.

With all this as noted above, I am having a very difficult time with my command to love my brother even as Jesus loves me. These are bad, bad people and seemingly only want to kill and destroy. I know as a sinner I was also an outlaw, but these people have just taken it over the top. I profess to be a christian but at the same time I am a man, a citizen of the US, and a veteran. Does anyone here have a different perspective on this and suggestions as to how I come to the place where I can love these people?

I struggle to be who I am supposed to be and do what I am supposed to do,

Charlie
  • Kevin Blankenship and radar like this

#2 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Charlie,
It's about time someone brought up the topic of Islam and violence and just how we process all this from the lens of scripture and God's perspective.

I thought of this verse first coming to my mind many times over this same matter: “There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers” (Proverbs 6:16-19).
I'd say all of the above sum up what the Lord thinks of ISIS.

Also, this verse comes to mind: "Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked." Psalm 97:10

If David was special to God, then his words above, from the Holy Spirit, must be just as true now as back then.

Also, Romans 12:9 tells us to hate evil! " Love must be sincere" Do you want to sincerely love ISIS? Or, the individuals who do the horrific deeds, even crucifying Christians? Really? "Sincerely?" I don't think the Lord asks us to do that. We don't repay evil for evil, but we don't have to like this! I don't and won't. I don't think I'd be following the Lord if I did. Personally. That's what I believe.

I think this is not a personal matter of loving your personal enemy. However, it will feel personal if it happens to someone we know and love. I guess, taking it on that line, I'd ask if you would forgive someone in ISIS if they beheaded your own loved one? What would your CHOICE be. It would be something to work through.

I hate ISIS. I hate evil....why? Because the LORD hates evil. Therefore, He hates ISIS. It's pure evil to me. It isn't anything for me to love because I don't think Jesus loves evil. He will offer grace even to someone whose committed these horrible acts but if they decline Him, he's so much of a holy and just God and keeper of His promise to allow our free will, even if the person burns in hell.

I'm with you on the this horrific stuff. It is very much prophetic and its coming to America. As far as the "USA", I don't buy into all the patriotism that's really turned into a form of religion. You're "good" if you're a patriot? Hmm. Is America under judgment? Were the founding fathers not involved in Freemasonry even to the point that John Adams himself said Freemasonry was evil. Look at a painting of George Washington in his Freemason apron. He had to earn that through a great deal of "compromise" to put it mildly.

I'm not a liberal by any means. But, wasn't Hiroshima being nuked evil? Did we repay evil with evil? I know it sounds like a harsh question. But, wasn't that really evil? My husband says I'm stupid for asking that. "of course, we had to nuke Japan. The Japanese were evil." OK, but didn't we just repay evil with "evil"?

Be well Charlie. Keep searching scripture for your answers. Think on whatever is good and worthy of praise.

Love, Candice
  • chipped china and radar like this

#3 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

I think we are supposed to love our brothers and sisters in the Lord. I think God agrees that what evil people do is evil and we should hate those things. I trust that God is in control and helping the persecuted people through whatever they have to experience. We can love evil people with God's love in the respect of "they know not what they do." So we should witness and pray for them but brush off the dust from our shoes if they don't repent. We also need to to stand up for our faith when necessary like several bakers and wedding planners are having to do at the moment. I've found the Family Research Council is an excellent resource for knowing what going on in this country and ways we can help fight for our faith. I also read and watch Al jazeera news that is the most upright and unbiased that I have found.

In the end Light will always overcome darkness, we just have to be long suffering and prayer warriors. 

• Kevin Blankenship, robo328 and radar like this

#4 radar

radar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Retired Navy and disabled veteran. Love studying the Word of God. Read Spurgeon, Rylism, Stedman, Hoekstra, Tozer, Meyer, and Morrison devotionals, sometimes Chambers. Study free online: Ichthys, Gotquestionsorg, SermonAudio, Christian Classic Ethereal Library among others. Like to ocean pier fish as my hobby.
  • I am a Layperson

• HIs Laboring Few Fellowship Thomasville NC

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

This is not a subject that can easily answered with one post for me. Whe I saw this question, I started researching it to make sure that I was in line with scripture. I found these resources on the subject to be of great help for me to understand the correct way for a Christian to deal with violent radical Islamic factions such as ISIS and violent evil where ever it occurs.

http://ichthys.com/m...ponsibility.htm

http://home.earthlin...erry/relwar.htm

http://nogreaterjoy....tters/pacifism/

I beleive you can pray for the Muslim, or any others, but when it comes to defending yourself or others against evil doers, I beleive that we have a responsiblity before God to protect our loved ones within the confines of the laws of this nation. I also beleive that if called upon to be a policeman or a soldier, God allows for extreme measures to be taken to stop evil as outlined in Romans 13. The above resources are a bit lengthy, but provides enough evidence with biblical scriptures to rightly divide the Word of Truth on this matter. I really like the earthlink net because it covers ethics and war for most major religions. Is it compassionate to pray and not confront evil with enough force, even if it entails killing, to protect the weak and the innocent?

• Kevin Blankenship likes this

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

#5 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Some study points that I have come across during prayerfully looking at this problem. 1. The comandment actually translates as "Thou shalt not murder", so I think that possibly clears up wars with soldiers defending the weak and helpless. 2. Anyone can love their friend, even the heathern do that. Somewhat of a problem with this one. I certainly don`t love what these people DO, and what they do is so entwined with who they are, it just gets difficult to distinguish who from what here. # If we say we love our brother and then see him in need....we tell him we will pray for him but do not give him food, clothing, or what he needs, is that actually love? Agape? The questions get harder.....

Hiroshima? We would have lost 1 million men invading Japan and there is no telling how many Japanese would have died, so I think dropping the bomb was (in a way) an act of mercy. Especially since we told them we had such a weapon and would use it if they didn`t surrender. Is it OK to do something terrible to avoid a really, really terrible thing? If I had been picked to be in one of those landing craft for Japan`s invasion I think I know what I would say about dropping the bombs.

Stragely enough I think we are in almost the same situation now as we were in 1945. We just seem to lack leadership. Where do we want this fight to be? Iraq or mainland USA? For surely if we do not stop it now, we will fight it over here.

Why does God not stop all this mess and slaughter? Well, I think He will....when enough of His people get on their faces and pray for His solution. I have no idea what His solution for the immediate problem is, but I do know how all this ends. We win! And we win BIG! God has used terrible people, terrible kings, and terrible weather to get the attention of His people in times past. I don`t know about everyone else, but He definitely has my attention now.

A brother who is on his face,

Charlie
  • radar likes this

#6 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Charlie,
I just had a thought: Have you ever read the book about Deitrich Bonhoffer by Eric Metaxas? Bonhoffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy? Good read; albeit very lengthy. I read it a couple of years ago and couldn't put it down! I is a great book that would very much approach what you're struggling with.

I believe we're all struggling with this issue now. Even the liberals are starting to question Obama's crazy lack of ability to call evil for what it is.

Love, Candice
  • chipped china and radar like this

#7 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:33 AM

Here to I join my brothers and sisters in Christ on my face with prayers for strength to bow down to no one but Jesus while I pray for those that seek my earthly life...God is still in control even when I cannot see or feel it.
Jesus and Jesus alone saves=D

#8 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

Charlie, you are asking the tough questions. And I am so glad that you are. Many of us, who call ourselves believers, think these same thoughts as we watch the latest atrocities of these wicked men. I suppose that the best way for someone like me to deal with these issues, as regarding how they affect our walk with Jesus, is to turn them over to an all-knowing God. And to follow the commandment of Jesus: "Pray for thine enemies...." But it is SO difficult to feel an empathy for these terrorist.....and it always helps me, when praying for my enemies, to try and put myself in their shoes.  But with ISIS, this is impossible for me to do. I believe that the safe way is to stick so very close to Jesus and to really pray for the Holy Spirit's help with our praying as was promised in Romans. (chapter and verse escape me at the moment) but I know that the Spirit will help us pray when we do not know how......with groanings.....etc.   My two cents worth.