• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

This is from Berean Call today:

TAKE HEED TO YOURSELVES AND THE FLOCK

Objection is often raised even by some sound in the faith - regarding the exposure of error as being entirely negative and of no real edification. Of late, the hue and cry has been against any and all negative teaching. But the brethren who assume this attitude forget that a large part of the New Testament, both of the teaching of our blessed Lord Himself and the writings of the apostles, is made up of this very character of ministry-namely, showing the Satanic origin and, therefore, the unsettling results of the propagation of erroneous systems which Peter, in his second epistle, so definitely refers to as "damnable heresies."

Our Lord prophesied, "Many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many." Within our own day, how many false prophets have risen; and oh, how many are the deceived! Paul predicted, "I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch." My own observation is that these "grievous wolves," alone and in packs, are not sparing even the most favored flocks. Undershepherds in these "perilous times" will do well to note the apostle's warning: "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers." It is as important in these days as in Paul's - in fact, it is increasingly important - to expose the many types of false teaching that, on every hand, abound more and more.

--Dr. Harry Ironside (1876-1951)
  • Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#2 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

And these false prophets are not only major preachers on TV.  But also, there are no telling how many there are behind community church pulpits.  Sadly, many preachers today go straight to TBN or Daystar or someother TV (so-called) Christian Networks for to see how the big churches are 'doing it'. 

Used to, you NEVER heard a preacher say: "Okay, turn to your neighbor and say: Hope are you feeling well" etc etc etc ad nausem.  But in the early 80's I started seeing more and more of it on TV church services. 

There is a definite benefit in hindsight.  Why? Because a person can recall how things WERE and compare them to how things ARE today........church-wise.

Not really sure if I am coming across clearly.  But anyway, Candace's post said it very well.

I don't know, maybe the older I get.....the less 'progressive-minded' I get.

Candace, dear sister, if my post had nothing to do with your post, I apologize. It is just that I am REALLY SEEKING a place to worship that has all of the elements of the early church.....which, incidentally, met in houses.

#3 Rich Ingles

Rich Ingles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

Kevin, I know that you are not seeking a perfect church. I think that often when people are seeking a church home they see the wolfes first rather than those who are protecting the flock. Each day i'm convicted more and more that individuals that I can fellowship with in unity is more important than a church body that is pure or close to perfect. Worship probaby should be done both in small groups in homes along with large corporate gatherings. We should also expect different results and experiences to come from the differnt types of gatherings. Jesus gathered with one or two others and with twelve and there was the 120 in the upper room and there where five thousand on the hill side. Which was best? I do not know, but God was there. Father Son and Holy Ghost

• Kevin Blankenship likes this

#4 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

Good reply.  And I concur.  It is very difficult and would be time consuming for me to relate to anyone what it is like growing up and living in this small town.  I deeply yearn to be amongst people of like precious faith.  I will contiue to let that be my driving force as I seek a corporate worship experience......namely......congegations.  I have made and am making a effort to remain non-fault finding. But there are many elements (of all of the churches around here and I have been to 90% of them and more than just a few times) that I simply cannot reconcile with scripture.  But ya know.....I might quite possibly be to self-righteous and prideful. I am always on guard for those two character defects. But I have talked to many Christians around here who feel the same as I do. But still.....I keep looking.  I KNOW that I need fellowship. I have proved that to myself.  Thanks for your feedback and perspective. It IS very appreciated.

#5 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

I think in the day we live, sometimes our churches (all varieties) have become too formalized. What I mean by that is people can sometimes confuse the form (the service, the programs, etc.) with the life (the reality of the body with Christ as the head). We can go to some particular church and the people are actually following a format or a program without really knowing it, because they have done it for so long and take for granted it's what they are supposed to do. Each week is entirely predictable because the Lord has not been allowed to be present outside the format. So again, the format is confused with the Life-giver. Often, anything that deviates from the tradition (whichever type), is suspect. This is not to say there are not some great fellowships out there; there are. But we should never assume human institutions have a 1:1 correspondence with the how the Lord directs and rules His body. We are all in the process of growth and we see through a glass, darkly.

• Kevin Blankenship and chipped china like this

#6 chipped china

chipped china

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Knowing Jesus and our heritage. Showing Christ though me. Being a member of the Body. I enjoy nature and animals.
  • I am a Layperson

• Bible studies from New Life Assembly

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

Recently I've been thinking a lot about our country losing it's religious freedom. This is mainly coming from the gay community and the right to choose abortion. It's also coming from within the church as the stigma given to Christians is one as intolerant and unloving has swayed liberals to back away from God's Word. 

During the gay Dallas mayor fiasco I signed the petition to get her decision to subpoena pastors sermons put on the voting ballot. She threw out 30,000 signatures, only 17,000 were needed. Thank the Lord that has been dropped but I've been thinking the Lord wants me to financially support the Family Research Council an organization that fights these sorts of things. They are there for believers who are forced to do things like marry gay couples who refuse and get sued. 

I know the Lord is in control and everything will happen according to His plan, but I keep feeling He doesn't want us to just sit back and let it happen. I don't want to part of the Laodecia church. If the Body doesn't work together we will be at some point only meeting in homes or the woods. I hate to say this but for many believers as long as their little world is running smoothly there is no incentive to stand for the Truth, God's word. However, the recent election showed that the country is not happy with the way things are going so I still have hope that Jesus our Savior will give us strength. 

I'm enclosing the letter I received from FRC if you care to read it. I also looked them up Charity Watch and they got good ratings. God bless my sisters and brothers. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Light. Betsy

http://www.frc.org/

Help stop the Left's attacks on religious freedom.
November 06, 2014 |   | Share with Friends | Permalink
Stand with FRC in support of religious freedom.

Dear Elizabeth,
If you believe Christianity can transform lives, and that biblical values bless Americans, I need to hear from you today.
And, if you believe that Christianity is so valuable it should be defended rather than stamped out . . . I pray you will respond immediately.
What’s the urgency?
Recently, an influential New York Times reporter, Josh Barro, wrote this about those like you and me who oppose the pro-homosexual agenda, and the forcing of same-sex “marriage” on America. In his own words . . . “we need to stamp them out, ruthlessly.”
Stamp you out. “Ruthlessly.” Yes, he’s writing about you. Your family. Your fellow church members. Your pastor. Your favorite ministries.
When confronted, he claimed that he was “not saying we should kill people.” Okay, but what does “stamp them out, ruthlessly,” mean? At best, it means drive you out of your job, take away your rights, and suppress any ability to live out the expression of your beliefs.
Did The New York Times make Mr. Barro apologize? No. Discipline him? No. Did President Obama admonish The New York Times to be respectful to fellow citizens? No.
And that’s why I’m writing you today.
If anyone is going to stand up for Christ, for His Word, and for the freedom of His people to bless America with biblical truth . . . it will be you and fellow believers who are the only ones who will. Powerful institutions like The New York Times, the White House, the IRS, the ACLU, and others are on the other side and agree with Josh Barro!
For that reason, I’m asking you to please answer Mr. Barro by sending a donation to help Family Research Council effectively, powerfully counter the growing attempts by the elite media, government officials, and organizations to make the open expression of Christianity unacceptable and penalize it in America. FRC aggressively defends your freedom of religion in the halls of power.
FRC is challenging The New York Times to apologize and suggest Mr. Barro attend “sensitivity training” —we’d recommend his going to four services at a church of FRC’s choice that believes the Bible is God’s inerrant Word, and which holds to a biblical view of marriage. We’d also like him to volunteer for community service with a ministry like that of our friend, Franklin Graham of Samaritan’s Purse, which impacts lives with compassion.
Let Mr. Barro see and meet the families he wants to see “stamped out, ruthlessly.” Let him hear and experience the love of Jesus Christ, who died for his sins as well as yours and mine, and decide if he still wants us stamped out.
And let The New York Times and others understand that Christians like you and me aren’t going to just sit quietly while they deprive Americans of the only true hope for their lives and the only source for moral order in our society.
Yes, Jesus said we must “turn the other cheek” when insulted. So we’re not advocating “stamping out” Mr. Barro, and we won’t insult him back. But Jesus also said we are to oppose those who “shut up the kingdom of heaven” to others through spreading false beliefs (Matthew 23:13), and to not let our good be evil spoken of (Romans 14:16).
We have a responsibility to stand against those whose policies would harm families and keep children from hearing the gospel—forcing them to hear damaging falsehoods such as the “gospel” of same-sex “marriage.”
And beyond that, please understand that such hateful rhetoric by those like Mr. Barro can indeed cost the lives of fellow Christians . . . right here in America.
I know this because my FRC colleagues and I were targets of an assassin. One staff member was actually shot by a homosexual activist who volunteered at a local LGBT cultural center.
On August 15, 2012, Floyd Corkins walked into FRC’s Washington offices and opened fire. His intent was to kill as many FRC employees as he could. And he had the ammunition to murder or maim dozens. But thanks to divine intervention, and the quick actions and bravery of the unarmed Leo Johnson, who took a bullet as he subdued Mr. Corkins, no one else was hurt.
What instigated this unprovoked attack? The website of the wealthy liberal organization misnamed the Southern Poverty Law Center. You see FRC was targeted on the SPLC “hate map” for its stand against same-sex “marriage.”
This type of animosity is right out of communist agitator, Saul Alinsky’s, Rules for Radicals. By dehumanizing Christians, they can be more easily marginalized and persecuted. We have seen this tactic at work throughout history in totalitarian takeovers. And we are seeing it employed here today.
Christians are persona non grata in the new “sexually liberated” America.
Don’t believe it? Just look at what happened to these individuals simply for upholding natural marriage.
Broadcaster Craig James was fired by Fox Sports. (Today he is on the staff of FRC.)
Phil Robertson was booted off Duck Dynasty. (But the public outcry forced the show producers to bring him back.)
The Benham Brothers had their HGTV show canceled. (Today they’re a major force in the pro-life movement.)
But not all of those who stand up for their faith are so fortunate. Servicemen and women have had their careers ruined . . . business owners have been forced to close their doors . . . college students have been given poor grades by professors . . . schoolteachers have been censored . . . and newspaper editors have been fired—all for refusing to deny biblical truth and affirm same-sex “marriage.”
But what makes the current climate in America today even more troubling is that the persecution of Christians is now an all-but-official policy of the Obama administration.
Until the Supreme Court weighed in, the HHS mandate in ObamaCare would have forced businesses owned by Christians to provide health care plans that covered contraceptives and drugs that can induce abortion.
Christian chaplains in the military are sometimes prohibited from praying in the name of Jesus and crosses have been taken down in military chapels.
Sex reassignment surgery is now covered by Medicare.
The Justice Department is pressuring states to legalize same-sex “marriage.”
Government contractors must now accommodate all forms of homosexuality and gender identity in the workplace. No objections on religious grounds will be tolerated.
You’d expect such official animus against the Christian faith in Putin’s Russia or in Iran, but not in America. But I must warn you . . .
We really are in grave danger of losing religious liberty if we do not defend it!
It would certainly be tragic to have the constitutional right to freely live our faith taken away by the brute force of government. But what would be even worse is if we freely surrendered our First Amendment rights—freedom of religion and freedom of speech—because reporters like Josh Barro intimidate us.
That’s why FRC is making the defense of religious liberty its top priority in the months ahead.
FRC has increasingly become the “go-to” organization when Christians are attacked for their faith. For example, the Benham brothers turned to FRC when they were banned from HGTV. David Benham stated that, “one of the very first calls we made was to Family Research Council. We had folks from FRC constantly emailing and texting us, encouraging us to not back down, to stand strong.”
Through Washington Watch, our nationally syndicated radio program, our online newsroom, and expert analysis of the pressing issues of the day, FRC has become a widely respected alternative source of information and news.
Most importantly, FRC’s team of experts exert major influence in U.S. government. We are on Capitol Hill every day. Members of Congress and other government agencies turn to FRC for timely, accurate research and support. No other organization does more at the state and federal level to further the cause of faith, family and freedom.
And when it comes to the Christian response to the Josh Barro attacks, FRC will, with your help, take the lead here too. So . . .
Make a generous donation to help FRC defend biblical Christianity in the public square—including you, your family, your church and favorite Christian ministry—against those like The New York Times, the ACLU, the Obama administration, and others who are taking actions to “stamp out” Christian influence and freedom.
Please let me hear from you today. If you and I don’t stand up to sustain biblical truth and Christian influence in America, who will? Not The New York Times or President Obama. It’s up to us . . . and by God’s grace, we can and will be victorious!
May God bless you for standing up when it counts.
Standing (Ephesians 6:13),

#7 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

I think in the day we live, sometimes our churches (all varieties) have become too formalized. What I mean by that is people can sometimes confuse the form (the service, the programs, etc.) with the life (the reality of the body with Christ as the head). We can go to some particular church and the people are actually following a format or a program without really knowing it, because they have done it for so long and take for granted it's what they are supposed to do. Each week is entirely predictable because the Lord has not been allowed to be present outside the format. So again, the format is confused with the Life-giver. Often, anything that deviates from the tradition (whichever type), is suspect. This is not to say there are not some great fellowships out there; there are. But we should never assume human institutions have a 1:1 correspondence with the how the Lord directs and rules His body. We are all in the process of growth and we see through a glass, darkly.

John Albert: This is EXACTLY what sums up the whole matter for me. Thank you for stating it so eloquently.
"Recently I've been thinking a lot about our country losing it's religious freedom. This is mainly coming from the gay community and the right to choose abortion. It's also coming from within the church as the stigma given to Christians is one as intolerant and unloving has swayed liberals to back away from God's Word"

Betsy, I agree so much with this statement. I don't believe most folks get it in the church because, as they "do" church and just march along, as John Albert states, form is more important than life and they are missing it or just ignoring it and hoping it will all go away. What are we to do? You did something tangible and I hope it helps.
  • chipped china likes this

#8 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

A church service without the presence of Holy Spirit is a dead affair and many people can walk in off the street and feel the "dead" nature of the congregation.  Once the church service exclues Holy Spirit, it is a small matter to regiment the service to a degree very few, if any, of the members even notice His absence.  Of the three persons in the Godhead, Jesus said the only one who can be offended to the point He will simply leave, is Holy Spirit.  If ignored or offendeded by church services or goings on in the churhc, Holy Spirit will simply just quietly leave, leaving the congregants to sing their songs and follow the bulletin programs just like they did when He was actually there. This is so, so sad!

I don`t think I ever drive to church that I don`t envite Him to be present in the service.  I`ll assure you of one thing for sure.....if He isn`t invited, He will not show up!  I kinda like some organization to a service, but if Jesus suddenly shoed up walking down the center isle, I would be hanging on His leg pleading to go with Him.....no matter what was scheduled to happen in the bulletin at that particular time in the service.  There is a bronze plaque inlaid into our pulpit that reads...."Sir, we would see Jesus".  I come to hear about Him, praise Him, and see Him in others......but one day, one day, He will walk into this world again as Himself and I will want to be as close as possible no matter what is on the church program.

In Christ,

Charlie

• ADVRider and Kevin Blankenship like this

#9 Rich Ingles

Rich Ingles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

As I read the posts I'm encouraged by everyones concern for the authenticity of our Worship. I'm also encouraged by the concern for us as a group "Flock". The topic is take heed to ourselves and the flock so my comment may be misplaced, but our great commission is to make disciples. I believe as each of us works to share Gods Loves as demonstrated through the Gospel of Jesus Christ the Holy Spirit will provide and protect me in so many ways. We are the hands and feet of Jesus on a daily basis to live and to love others for the sake of others. May we follow Jesus.