Photo

Having the courage to be a true believer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yes, this is going to be another hot topic, loaded issue.

I was talking to a friend of mine about life in general. The good, bad, and what the heck issues in everyday life. The subject turned to why some pastors and so many Christians never talk about or address the hard issues in life like abortion, suicide, same sex, death penalty, and other similar topics? My friend feels like these topics are loosely at best talked about as a side line issue or a conversation tid bit, but more often than not, they are not addressed by many pastors and many Christians. He finds this to be the case alot through church and Christian life. As if people are afraid to bring up such hard issues so they rather go with softer issues. Once that don’t stir things up. He feels we are avoiding issues we should be addressing for the sake of ourselves and society. He feels that we are too afraid to bring up these issues in any real way and to afraid to offend people and loose the support of people. He asked how many believers have the courage to be true believers? This was a very involve conversation and I was not sure what to say. I was not expecting such a deep thought conversation. I was not at all offended by him and gave him credit for expressing his feelings so open and respectful. Never the less, I was at a lost to respond so I struggled in the conversation. Anyways, I am bringing this whole thing here to see what others think. Are we lacking courage to be true believers and address the hard issues in life more directly? Are we too afraid of the drama or back lash we might get? If the fear is there, wouldn’t that be us giving into the fallen world and making that our focus? I am lost in all of this and just seeking understanding. Any thoughts?

• Julie Daube likes this

#2 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

I'm glad you brought this up, Christopher! Thanks for seeking our input on this subject. I think there are a variety of reasons that some Christians avoid talking about the hard issues. For many, it could very well be fear of backlash or fear of offending people (essentially, this is the fear of man, and it should have no place in a believer's life). Others may avoid controversial issues because they don't want to be divisive. I think it's important to note, however, that truth is divisive. Jesus said, "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division" (Luke 12:51).

I am grateful to have a pastor who does address the hard issues in his sermons and is not afraid of offending anyone. He has even said from the pulpit that God will smite America for the sin of abortion. Now that's courage!

When it comes to talking about some of these issues, the following verse is an excellent guide:
"Speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ" (Ephesians 4:15). As Christians, we should never be afraid to speak the hard truths, but we should always do so in grace and love.

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

I guess I simply don`t see a problem in discussing these issues listed above.  I certainly don`t avoid any of them in discussions with others, whether they are believers or unbelievers.  Yes, these things can be divisive, but they should not be.  I don`t have an opinion about any of those issues....not a single one!  I do have a King, and I am a representative of that King, so it is only His opinion that counts.  He DOES have an opinion about those topics so His is the only one that matters to me.  If anyone wants to have their own opinion that is different than God`s, then they certainly can have one, but free will is a very powerful and dangerous thing when it is in opposition to the Father.  I guess the thing here is...do we trust God to be truthful and honest.  All the Lord has ever asked us to do is to believe what He says, so I`ll just stick with His opinions on those matters.  He has never been wrong before.

In Christ,

Charlie

• Julie Daube likes this

#4 Candice

Candice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Bible study and deeper life in Christ, reading old and wise teachers of the bible.
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

Christopher,

I agree this is a good topic to bring up. I dont' think anything, within reason, is not to be discussed among believers.

My experience with this issue goes from pastors who refuse to even discuss their beliefs on the Book of Revelation to not being willing to discuss spiritual gifts, and....THE HOLY SPIRIT!! Yes, thaaat's right. So, I know what you mean. Many don't want to OFFEND anyone. I believe we can discuss in a kind manner where iron sharpens iron and so we too sharpen one another". But, I've found this to not be practiced. It's my limited experience.

However, my husband and I host a small group bible study (church replacement) on Sunday mornings. We talk about whatever comes up from time to time while keeping in the Word. We study one book of the bible and discuss in depth. Things come up naturally because we're living life together. The families who come (just a few of us) feel the same way. The churches in our area are all about being PURPOSE DRIVEN which means fill seats and just agree with the 20% you agree upon. No getting into anything that may offend.

I agree with Charlie that my opinions on matters reflects God's opinion. So, many issues I just say, "it's right here in this book". They can shoot the messenger if they want, but the answers are there and that's where I plant my flag.

Candice
  • Julie Daube and Charles Miles like this

#5 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

I just feel that as believers, we tend to still go with the flow of the fallen world and that reflects in our lack of willingness to bring up morally tought subjects out of fear of the reactions we may get from that fallen world. Because my friend brought all this up, I thought why not bring it up too and see what others think. I am not a brave man, but I don't want to be a weak Christian either so maybe I need to do a better job in facing issues even if others don't.

• Julie Daube likes this

#6 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

Christopher,

I'm just going to share and trust God and post a video that one who used to post here shared with me.  Addressing issues is something this dear man in the video has done and now does as a lay pastor and teacher.  All the things we think about any situation or issue and what to do can be an opportunity to seek ye first... to come unto me... learn to know how to individually take up our cross and follow Jesus while learning how to surrender day by day, and moment by moment... so just know that only what is done by the Holy Spirit will count for anything, and I pray that God's will be done by grace and all glory given to Christ the Lord and that He be given preeminence.  By the grace of God may all things for God's glory by the Holy Spirit working in us as He wills not as we will. 

The man in the video shares his beginning testimony... the rest of the story is yet to be told where many can know more of what Jesus did and is doing in his life, and in the body of Christ family that he shares life with.  Only God Knows so I post the video and pray that one video is seen, and ministers as only the Holy Spirit can minister, and in all the rest that God has worked in this man's life day by day, moment by moment and the rest of story of Chris's and his wife's story will be shared in video and or in a book to the glory of God ...

I believe this man can tell his story as no other could tell it, and it can minister to anyone who will listen and hear ...  I reckon this brother's testimony can minister to any person regardless of whence they came... be it a church going person or one who's never been to church...

By the Holy Spirit we each are able to live out the call of God and we can do nothing without Him... Bless God for delivering Chris Rose and making him to become a preacher and a teacher .... the rest of the story was and is in The Master's Hands.

Only in Christ .... for His glory.....  Hoping another brother I'm thinking of who has posted on this forum will see the video and the Holy Spirit bless him mightily... for the love of God, please Jesus and thank you... in your name may we learn of you and do your will and minister your love to one another, amen.

God bless, keep, and guide you Christopher in all that you do for His glory and His kingdom by His Spirit.  May you have joy unspeakable and full of glory....

Just a sister in Christ who posts and hopes.  Forgive me for going on so ....

Love and prayers,

Ginger