Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

I am confused about atheists.

If atheist don’t believe in God, than why do they spend so much time and energy fighting against him ( God )?

I know for a fact that in times of crisis or strong fear, like being in battle of a deadly war, even atheists tend to stop and pray to God. Or like being diagnosed with cancer or another major illness, they pray to God.

What’s up with atheists?

#2 Nelinden

Nelinden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Studies, Apologetics, Logic, Philosophy, Christian Counseling, Critical Thinking, Evangelism
  • I am a Layperson

• Lifeway Christian Church

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Christopher310,

I think that world views that are not consistant with reality cause confusion. That is why Atheism is so confusing. An Atheist does not really live in the mythology they create in their head. They actually live in a reality of absolute truths and laws created by principles that are outside of the natural world. They operate in the reality of a God, but they use the mechanism of Atheism to make a bubble around themselves that "there is no God" or "God is dead" to release themselves of guilt and shame. Atheism is the ultimate form of escape mentally and temporarily. Ultimately, I think the Atheist knows deep down that what they cling to is not truth. At least not logical truth… just think of Occam's Razor or Pascal's Wager. Interesting link follows: 

http://irrco.wordpre...ot-your-friend/

• radar likes this

#3 ADVRider

ADVRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors; exploring; friends.
  • I am a Layperson

• Boulder Street

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

Well I guess then, atheism is not oxymoron, it's just moron! :D The god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers....

• radar likes this

#4 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

What I don’t get is that when someone says they are atheist, yet they are so willing to start an argument over God. Why do they fight over God if they don’t believe in him? That makes no sense to me. It’s almost hypocritical. Plus I have actually heard of ‘Atheist Churches’.  I don’t believe in ‘Never Never Land’. I’m not trying to do a map quest on it or checking out zip codes for it.

• radar and Nelinden like this

#5 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

I have a few people I know who claim to be atheists, and on occasion I have tried to answer some of their questions. Usually discussing religion with these people is a waste of time, so I simply don`t do it anymore! What I will discuss with them is my personal relationship with the Lord and what that means to me. My only goal in such discussions is to make them think a bit and not just spew out what other atheist leaders have given as "talking points". I have come to some conclusions about atheism after having long, long, long discussions with them. Hard line evolutionists are much the same way.

1. Atheism is a religion
2. The belief system of an atheist takes more leaps of faith then any religion I know of.
3. These people do not want to believe in a God because then they would have to be rsponsible to the "Creator" for their actions in this life.
4. While professing to have an "open mind", these people usually do not want to hear about anything that upsets their comfort zone.
5. While many pose a scientists and do not want anything other than strict scientific evidence used in discussions with them, they simply balk when asked "What is life"?
6. Most seem to deep down there somwhere know they are wrong, but they simply refuse to take the steps to find out the truth.
7. Until atheists are actually seeking the truth, discussions with them are of very little use.
8. If you must discuss the Lord with them, just ask that they respect your belief and you will respect their right to theirs.

In Christ,

Charlie
  • ADVRider and radar like this