CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

I probably should ask my pastor friend from my old church, but he gets hit with alot as it is. I don’t have the heart to hit him with more so I’m asking here.

Is it normal for a Christian to reach a point in life where they feel like they no longer fit in anywhere in the faith? Feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied in where they’re at and going? My old church was great, but limited for spiritual growth. My new church offers more personal growth, but I have been unable to find any place I fit in. I am loosing desire to be apart of it ( my new church ) but still hold a strong desire for spiritual growth. I have searched out other churches and talk with people connected to them. I am not feeling like I am finding what I am looking for or where I fit in. It’s frustrating and depressing, but more so, feels like I am failing as a Christian and wasting my life. Is this normal or not? I know my personal life is smothered by negative, non-supportive people, but they don’t own me so I can’t use them to say my feelings are of their fault. Anyways, just thought I’d ask. Thanks.

#2 robo328

robo328

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading
  • I am a Church Worker

• Church of God

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

You pretty much described me, about 2 years ago. I became frustrated with the worship services, hearing sermons that were mostly "milk", and very little "solid food". I began to ask myself "what's this all about?"

Maybe God is allowing your frustration, to seek out a new direction, or ministry, in your life. Hebrews says that God is a rewards those who diligently seek after Him.  

• chipped china likes this
"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength" -Isaiah 30:15

#3 Charles Miles

Charles Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

I am not sure about the question here. I can agree that some times there is a problem finding a place in "religion" as we find it today, but religion is man`s attempt to reach God, and that has never worked anyway. But the question was about fitting in the "faith". Well, as I see it, faith is personal and we all have been given a measure with which to deal. Faith is believing and trusting that God will do what He said He would do. I find no problem fitting in to "faith in God`s promise", but I do share some of your difficulty with churches and what they are all about today.

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

"It’s frustrating and depressing, but more so, feels like I am failing as a Christian and wasting my life. Is this normal or not? I know my personal life is smothered by negative, non-supportive people, but they don’t own me so I can’t use them to say my feelings are of their fault."

When I saw your statement above, it struck me that the underlying issue here could be that your personal life is filled with negative, unsupportive people. It would be perfectly natural to feel frustrated and depressed when dealing with such folks on a regular basis. As your statement implied, you do have a choice in how you respond to them. Recognizing that your feelings are not their fault is a good start.

We are all responsible for how we react to people and circumstances. The enemy of our souls wages a constant battle against our minds; this is why it is vital to take our thoughts captive to make them obedient to Christ. This is something I have been learning only recently, and it has totally changed my life and revolutionized my thinking. The best way to do this is to deliberately focus on God's thoughts toward us, as revealed in His Word.

Rather than focusing on self-defeating thoughts like "I am failing as a Christian and wasting my life," try meditating on what the Word says about you as a child of the Most High God. I guarantee that doing this on a daily basis will change your life. Here are some of God's thoughts toward me that I focus on:

"I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus."

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

"I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony."

"I am free from condemnation."

"I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me."

"I am God's workmanship."

"I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm."

When our thoughts start to align with God's thoughts toward us, it is much easier to discern God's will for us, including how to fit in at church.

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." —Romans 12:2, NLT

May you be encouraged in the knowledge that you are greatly blessed, highly favored, and deeply loved by your Daddy God.

PS: There is a book I am reading right now that has helped me tremendously in this area: “100 Days of Right Believing,” by Joseph Prince. You may want to check it out.
  • Charles Miles, chipped china and radar like this