Photo

Question: Are all men really created equal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CHRISTOPHER310

CHRISTOPHER310

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I have heard many, many Christians make the statement “ God created all men equal ”, however, I did lots of in depth Bible research in multiple Bible versions, I have not come up with even one scripture that states that or anything similar to that. So, is there scripture of such statement or is this statement just of mankind’s own personal theology?

**( I am not asking to start a debate or wonder if the matter has merit or not. I am only asking to find out if such a statement as this has a truthful foundation in Bible scripture. Nothing more. )**

• radar likes this

#2 Speilb

Speilb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:One of my great driving passions is that I might know Christ! I love His Holiness and desire to try it on in my life. I love His Greatness and Power and therefore I also am learning to love my weakness, smallness, and need. I love His Glory and desire that he should gift me with the experience he gave to Isaiah in the 6th chapter. I believe that God Himself is the centerpiece of a True Biblical Faith and not man. I despise the things of man and I despise my own flesh. I see that Jesus made no attempt to save the sinner's flesh, but instead gave us the opportunity to crucify it. I see worldly people as Nehemiah saw Jerusalem with its walls (created for the Honor and Glory of God but in desperate need of being re-made) and so I love God's work of restoring. I am broken over the condition of the world and desire that God uses me as Nehemiah (whose name means "The Lord Comforts") to comfort me by using me to rebuild and reestablish those in ruins.
    I love seeing God in things like genetics, nature, and in the created order of things. I love my family and have a wonderful wife and two kids.
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend an Alliance church
  • Burning Heart Christian Fellowship

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Its a fair question.  But yes, it is hard to keep such a topic focused. 

First, what do people mean when they say "all men are created equal"?  I really have no clue what people mean by that in today's world.  It seems like it is one of those American leftovers from another time when we actually understood what such things meant but has now become a much-loved but meaningless phrase we toss around. Some are better athletically, musically, intellectually, socially, and so on than others are.  Some people seem to be strong in almost all areas and others seem to be weak in most, while most are mixed somewhere in the middle.  There does seem to be a bell curve in giftedness (though definitely not the way the infamous book "The Bell Curve" puts it).  I believe the way it was originally used in the formation of America was to say "The intrinsic value of all people given by God is equal". 

If we take this equality thing to mean on a purely worldly scale, it can be disproved.  If however, we look at it as equality before God that is something quite different. 

The most quoted scriptural basis for the belief in equality under God is Galatians 3:26-29 "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.

I think this passage from Galatians is also one of the most misquoted scriptures.  Many times I have heard people quote this and then go on to say that husbands should not be the head of the house.  It is not advocating that men and women are the same, or that the roles of slaves and free people are the same.  It is saying there is equality under God.  In the sense of day to day living it is not advisable for a slave (or employee) to treat their master as a fellow servant.  But it is advisable to understand that we are equal before God and that each person is responsible for what they do before God.

So if we ask the question; "are some more gifted in a broad range of things in this life?; I would say "yes".  If the question is "will God reward some based on gifting or birth?" the answer is "no, we are all equal before God".  What is significant is what we do with what we were given. 

• Julie Daube and radar like this

#3 Guest_Marvin Harrell_*

Guest_Marvin Harrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

excellent answer @speilb

#4 Julie Daube

Julie Daube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Intercessory prayer, spiritual warfare, prophecy, science fiction and fantasy, music, fitness, nutritional healing, apologetics, and evangelism
  • I am a National Office Worker

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Evangelical Free Church

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I concur with Marvin - Speilb did an awesome job in answering this question. Here are several other Scriptures that come to mind:

Rom 10:12 - "For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him."

Acts 10:34-35 - ". . .At this Peter opened his mouth and said: 'For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.'"