• 536 posts
  • Interests:Medicine
    Fruits of the spirit
    Learning more about the Kingdom of God and how to live in it here on earth
  • I am a Layperson

• I attend a non-Alliance church
  • First Presbyterian Church EPC

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

First let me say I`m sorry for the length of this post, but this morning I was going through some old letters and I found a treasure.  I just had to stop and tell someone, so the readers here came to mind.  Here goes....

In 1974 I was in Dallas at the Southern Baptist Convention, wearing my white USN uniform. and walking with a man named Owen Cooper.  The convention was contentious and the great problem of inerrancy of the Bible was causing the convention to almost split.  Mr Cooper was president of the SBC, so we were approached by a Dr Criswell, who was evidently  not happy with how things were going.  Both men are Godly men, so they naturally discussed solutions for some time....I was merely a bystander and I didn`t "have a dog in that fight", although Owen was my father-in-law.  Dr Criswell asked Mr Cooper..."well if you had to do all this over, how would you do it next time?" I waited for the answer, but Mr Cooper simply said..."You know that is a very good question, so let me get back to you about that."  After a few days, I had forgotten about the conversation, but I got a letter from Mr Cooper that said.."do you think this is an adequate answer for Dr Criswell?  If you think I shouldn`t mail it please let me know, and I won`t."   Well, I`ll let you people decide if it was or not.......

If I Had My Life To Live Over

If I had my life to live over,

I would love more

I would especially love others more

I would let this love express itself in the concern for my neighbors, my friends, and all with whom I came in contact

I would try to let lover permeate me, overcome me, over whelm me, and direct me

I would love the unlovely, the unwanted, and the unloved

I would give more. I would learn early in life the joy of giving, the pleasure of sharing,

and the happiness of helping.

I would learn to give more than money

I would give some of life`s treasured possessions,

such as time, thought, and kind words

If I had my life to live over

I would be much more unconventional;

because life overlooks people,

I would socialize with them

Where custom acknowledges peers as best with whom we have fellowship, 

I would want some non-peer friends,

Where tradition stratifies people because of economics, race, or religion,

I would want to fellowship with friends in all strata.

I would choose to go

where the crowd does not go,

Where the road is not paved,

where the weather is bitter,

Where friends are few,

where the need is great

And where God is most likely to be found.

Owen Cooper

If any of you have time, you can google Mr Cooper and see what he did with his life.  He often reminded me the Jesus only gave us one commandment, so it has to be important

I praise God for men such as Mr Cooper, who not only talked the talk...he walked the walk,

Charlie

• Kevin Blankenship, elizabethcog, chipped china and 5 others like this

#2 ron103

ron103

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

when one becomes, they will start to perceive the higher levels or understandings of enlightenment (intelligence) (glory) that the Creator, His first begotten Son Jesus and the Holy Spirit (Shekhina) are in posession of and perogative is to disseminate and all truth seeking words, thoughts and actions, while searching externally, funnel down to really searching internally...which is why Jesus said 'seek first the kingdom' , which the soul is the mustard seed we all need to grow internally into a tree...then...you will be seriously pursuing The Relationship to maturity that is your Father in heavens whole point to creation.....and if you understand the difference between utmost respect and worship, you will only afford God your Father, the latter...

Nice to meet everyone...

All souls are immortal (for awhile)...
But...only the mature and righteous are also Divine...

His,
ron
  • chipped china and radar like this

#3 Kevin Blankenship

Kevin Blankenship

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • I am a Layperson

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Doctor Charles (if I may?)......once again I am well pleased and MUCH edified with what you just shared. And that piece that Owen Cooper wrote was AWESOME!  I would have sent it if I was him. I've just got to meet you someday. One of these days, I am going to get a sitter for my mother, and I am going to gas up my little Honda Civic (34mpg...lol) and head over and perhaps, at your invitation, we can drink coffee or or something at a local restaurant and I can pick your brain.  You are most definitely a Brother in Christ. If we knew just how close we all are......as far as 'brothers and sisters in Christ' goes, I think that we would be amazed. We are even closer kin than our own blood!!!  "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple."

It would be SO awesome to meet you and spend about an hour with you Charles.  Just fellowshipping (to use proper church-ese language).  I like to call it: "Just hang out together."

Peace and love to your my dear brother.

• elizabethcog, radar and DonnaA like this

#4 elizabethcog

elizabethcog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • I am a Layperson

• The Bridge

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:41 AM